Butterflysaurus rex

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wurzel wrote:It's horrible when good sites go to the bad Rex :( Could it be too late in the season so things have merged, done the deed as it were and passed on? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
It sure is Wurzel, although it was a bit late reasonably fresh ones were still being seen so I thought I had a chance of finding more than one.Apologies for the late reply loads of family stuff going on at the moment!
Neil Freeman wrote:Hi James,

Sad to hear of the demise of your old site.

I have to say, those Speckled Yellow on bluebells shots, not once but twice :mrgreen: :D These are lovely moths but a right pain to get a decent shot of, well done.

Cheers,

Neil.
Thanks Neil, I couldn't believe my luck having 2 Speckled Yellows staying put for me, I've been trying to get a decent photo of one for years and then suddenly I get two! Sadly it appears my old GHS site will never regain it's former glory but never is a very long time so I live in hope. Apologies for the late reply.

A whirl of pearls!

After a hectic couple of weeks full of family birthdays and other forms of craziness it is time to try and catch up on my diary. As has been reported elsewhere Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries are now back in Sussex. It's been absolutely fantastic to see these wonderful butterflies back where they belong. Like everybody else I am hugely grateful to the 'Fritillaries for the future' team for their enormous efforts and great dedication to this endeavour, it is a real privilege to know them all and enjoy their company in the field.

Here is a small selection of both Pearl and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary photos I took over the course of the spring.

Small Pearls.

Pearls.

I'm reliably informed by Neil Hulme that this PBF (below) is ab.transversa when the small group we were in photographed it I forgot to mention that I'd seen this striking female earlier on being courted by an amerous male. I tried to capture the action in a sequence of photos some of which (to my surprise) were not just a blur!

The courtship.

And finally communal roost.

Thanks for looking,

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely selection there, James, and well done with the PBF in-flight shots. That's not something you see every day.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I just love that last shot - it just screams "spring!"
BWs, Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Neil Hulme wrote:I just love that last shot - it just screams "spring!"
BWs, Neil
and using your tip on eye size, would I be right on saying male left, female right?

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Yes. All the better to see you with!
BWs, Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Really great shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Those butterflies not only scream 'Spring, they featured on Springwatch!!

Butterflysaurus rex

David M wrote:Lovely selection there, James, and well done with the PBF in-flight shots. That's not something you see every day.
Thank you David, I've tried to capture this behaviour before but always ended up with disappointing results. These are the best I've managed so far, I'll give it another go next year. :D
Neil Hulme wrote:I just love that last shot - it just screams "spring!"
BWs, Neil
Many thanks Neil, it was really wonderful to see the Pearl-bordered Fritillaries having another great year. Long may it continue.
Goldie M wrote:Really great shots :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Thank's for your generous comment Goldie, We have been spoiled with the Pearls this year. :D
badgerbob wrote:Those butterflies not only scream 'Spring, they featured on Springwatch!!
I was delighted when I saw they had used your photo from that day on Springwatch. We were very fortunate to find those 3 roosting Pearls, as we both know they are usually very difficult to find!

Many thanks to all for your comments, they're most appreciated.

ATB

James

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great sequence of shots Rex - especially the in flight shots and the double header :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Wurzel wrote:Great sequence of shots Rex - especially the in flight shots and the double header :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks very much indeed Wurzel, I sometimes wish I could fly and have 2 heads so I could get more done!

Time machine wanted!

Well here is yet another diary entry form the past, I am now running about a month behind, I had better try and catch up or the season will be all over.
Part of the reason I'm all over the place is that I thought there might be something called - the June gap! If there was one it only lasted about a week and I just wasn't prepared for that at all. In an attempt to dig myself out of a hole I'm abandoning exact time frames and putting up a selection of photos taken around the very end of May into early June as spring literally ran into the back of summer with a bump.
All photos taken locally except for the Small Blue, that was taken during a failed attempt to find a Glanville Fritillary at Hutchinsons Bank where I bumped into Philzoid who also failed to find any Glanvilles. I hope we have better luck next time Phil.

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:I hope we have better luck next time Phil.
Yep, Glanvilles escaped me this year. I tried Wrecclesham also too but to no avail :( (partly due to early emergences catching me out). Hopefully the numbers at Hutchinson’s will be back to the levels seen in 2016.

That Small Blue is real beaut James :D ..also the picture of the Cucumber spider :mrgreen:

Phil

Butterflysaurus rex

Philzoid wrote:Yep, Glanvilles escaped me this year. I tried Wrecclesham also too but to no avail :( (partly due to early emergences catching me out). Hopefully the numbers at Hutchinson’s will be back to the levels seen in 2016.

That Small Blue is real beaut James :D ..also the picture of the Cucumber spider :mrgreen:

Phil
Cheers Phil, at least there was no shortage of Small Blues at Hutchinson's, they were everywhere but so 'charged up' under the hot sun it was difficult to get a half decent photo. These early emergences have been catching me out as well. Here's to lots of Glanvilles in 2018. :D

Summer came early!

With a heatwave in mid July I suddenly found my plans had all gone awry, I had scheduled some time to see Purple Emperors at the end of the month, they had been regular as clockwork over the past few years - but 2017 had different plans. The bulk of the Purple Emperor action coincided with the heatwave and unfortunately I was unable to travel far from home that week.
So I had to make the best of it and see what was about close to home, on the 16th of June I went to my local woods where Ringlets were appearing in good numbers.

On the 17th and 18th a short walk from home put me into Marbled White country.

On the 26th of June I managed to spend one day looking for Purple Emperors, having missed the bulk of the action during the two weeks previously I knew my chances weren't as good and so it proved with just one female PE coming within range of my lens all day.

Despite the heat Purple Hairstreaks were tantalisingly close even during the middle of the day.

I was pleased to see my first summer Brimstone of the year.

Thanks to meeting up with some friends I still had a very enjoyable day despite the lack of Purple Emperors.

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Sorry you missed out on the Purple Emperor this year James.
Your female is pretty good compensation , as is the Purple Hairstreak.
Chiddingfold performed quite well, but not on the hottest days.

Hope to see you around.
Trevor.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Very nice James. Looking forward to seeing another bit of Purple and a pretty special bit of Silver!!

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You weren't the only person to be caught out this year. It was only because I was off 'sick' from work that I managed to get a decent dose!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of images Rex, an Empress is some compensation :mrgreen: Gutted I didn't make it to HB this year when Philzoid went as we would have finally caught up, oh well there's next year maybe, unless you can produce a Long-tailed Blue? :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

trevor wrote:Sorry you missed out on the Purple Emperor this year James.
Your female is pretty good compensation , as is the Purple Hairstreak.
Chiddingfold performed quite well, but not on the hottest days.

Hope to see you around.
Trevor.
Thanks Trevor, yes life got the better of me this year, Hopefully next year I'll manage to see some Emperor's although I could be caught out again if they are early.
badgerbob wrote:Very nice James. Looking forward to seeing another bit of Purple and a pretty special bit of Silver!!
Cheers Bob, we both had a great couple of days, a big highlight was when we both saw that silver beauty gliding across the ride!
bugboy wrote:You weren't the only person to be caught out this year. It was only because I was off 'sick' from work that I managed to get a decent dose!
I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell, although I wouldn't know it looking at your diary! As ever loads of great reports and photos to enjoy.
Wurzel wrote:Cracking set of images Rex, an Empress is some compensation :mrgreen: Gutted I didn't make it to HB this year when Philzoid went as we would have finally caught up, oh well there's next year maybe, unless you can produce a Long-tailed Blue? :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, it was great to see the female Emperor. It was a shame we didn't meet at HB but at least you didn't miss out on the Glanvilles. I'm certain we'll meet one day and who knows if the LTB's invade it could be sooner than we imagine. :D

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Woodland surprise!

Having missed out on the Purple Emperors I thought I'd concentrate my efforts on the woods closer to home. This proved to be a good move as I had a couple of terrific days over the 30th of June & 1st of July. I knew that Purple Hairstreaks were having an exceptional year so I decided to wonder about and see if I could get lucky?

After seeing that (along with some male Purple Haistreaks in less good condition) I didn't think things could get any better! It seems I was wrong!!

A wonderful couple of days that will live long in my memory.

Thanks for looking

James
Last edited by Butterflysaurus rex on Sun May 23, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Stunning photos, James :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow!!! A phenomenal set of images James, especially the Hairstreaks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

jenks

Post by jenks »

Absolutely stunning photos, especially of that valezina SWF. To my way of thinking the valezina form is more spectacular than Purple Emperor ( and more obliging ).

I had an amazing sighting last Sunday, 2 July. I popped into my local Tesco near Pontypridd just before they closed at 4 pm. When I got back to the car I found a White letter Hairstreak sitting on the windscreen ! I looked around the edge of the car park but couldn`t see any Elms. There were a line of Elms alongside the River Taff, less than 500 yards away as the butterfly flies but these are now almost completely dead. I used to see WLH in those trees but not this year. I suppose this was an individual looking for a nectar source. Sunday was very hot so the windscreen provided some heat but sadly no nectar ! I gently removed it and it flew off. I hope a colony remains in existence somewhere locally.

Jenks.

Return to “Personal Diaries”