Bhutan Butterflies

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Sonam Dorji

Re: Bhutan Butterflies

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi,
I have been on small trip to central and western Bhutan. Posting some few pics from the trip.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Dodona adonira_Striped Punch
Dodona adonira_Striped Punch
POlyura eudamippus_Great Nawab
POlyura eudamippus_Great Nawab
Spindasis rukmini Khaki Silverline
Spindasis rukmini Khaki Silverline
Abisara chela_Spot Judy
Abisara chela_Spot Judy
lethe gulnihal_Dull Forester
lethe gulnihal_Dull Forester
Palilio krishna_Krishna Peacock
Palilio krishna_Krishna Peacock

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi all,

Some more pics from the trip.

Rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Phaedyma aspasia falda. This subspecies is reported from Bhutan.
Phaedyma aspasia falda. This subspecies is reported from Bhutan.
Parasarpa dudu_White Commodore
Parasarpa dudu_White Commodore
Spindasis nipalicus
Spindasis nipalicus
Penthema lisarda_Yellow Kaiser
Penthema lisarda_Yellow Kaiser

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

HI Sonam,

I've just been close to the Bhutan border in Arunachal Pradesh. I'm very jealous of your Striped Punch :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . I saw Lesser, Tailed, Orange and MIxed, but missed what is arguably the most beautiful - nice find!

Tony M.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Tony Moore wrote:I've just been close to the Bhutan border in Arunachal Pradesh. I'm very jealous of your Striped Punch . I saw Lesser, Tailed, Orange and MIxed, but missed what is arguably the most beautiful - nice find!

Tony M.
Hi Tony,

Thanks a lot. The striped is also common here. All the species mentioned by you can be seen here. Of course, the main highlight was seeing this Athyma punctata (White-patched Sergeant). Could be a new record for the subcontinent. For Bhutan, it is definitely the first. It was seen and photographed first by Mr. Antanio Giudici from Thailand who I was accompanying.

rgds
,Sonam
Attachments
B49A6488[1].jpg
B49A6506[1].jpg

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi All,

Some more pics from the trip. Hope you all like it!!!

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Everes huegelii huegelii_Dusky Blue Cupid, UP
Everes huegelii huegelii_Dusky Blue Cupid, UP
Everes huegelii huegelii_Dusky Blue Cupid, UN
Everes huegelii huegelii_Dusky Blue Cupid, UN
Neptis armandia melba, Variegated Sailer, UN
Neptis armandia melba, Variegated Sailer, UN
Neptis armandia melba, Variegated Sailer, UP
Neptis armandia melba, Variegated Sailer, UP
Symbrenthia niphanda, Blue-tailed Jester, UN
Symbrenthia niphanda, Blue-tailed Jester, UN
Symbrenthia niphanda, Blue-tailed Jester, UP
Symbrenthia niphanda, Blue-tailed Jester, UP

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Great stuff, Sonam,

Please can I come to Bhutan... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tony M.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I envy the access you have to some very beautiful, exotic Butterflies.
Many thanks for posting your superb images of species most of us will never get to see.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just catching up on your latest photos. Really wonderful butterflies and brilliant pictures too.

Congratulations on Athyma punctata! Bozano (2013) doesn't show it as flying anywhere closer to you than Myanmar. How amazing if it has lived in the Himalayas unnoticed until now. Or is it spreading its range? Beautiful insect anyway.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Martin Jenkins

Post by Martin Jenkins »

Just wanted to comment on the quality of your photographs...truly stunning!

Martin.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Tony Moore wrote:Great stuff, Sonam,

Please can I come to Bhutan... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tony M.
Anytime Tony. People say Bhutan is expensive to visit but if you cut down the cost, not that expensive. Bhutan is trying to maintain is natural and cultural resources. Atleast 60% of the forest to be maintained under forest cover under the constitution.
trevor wrote:I envy the access you have to some very beautiful, exotic Butterflies.
rgds,
Sonam

Many thanks for posting your superb images of species most of us will never get to see.

Best wishes,
Trevor.
Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the compliment. But you know, UK also has great butterflies which I would greatly like to see and photographs. Have always admired the works of British researchers on butterflies.

rgds,
Sonam
Padfield wrote:Just catching up on your latest photos. Really wonderful butterflies and brilliant pictures too.

Congratulations on Athyma punctata! Bozano (2013) doesn't show it as flying anywhere closer to you than Myanmar. How amazing if it has lived in the Himalayas unnoticed until now. Or is it spreading its range? Beautiful insect anyway.

Guy
Dear Guy,

Thanks for the kind words. I think the the evidence of Athyma punctata clearly shows that it has great range extension as mentioned by you. Maybe it was already there. I am told that this butterfly hardly comes down so to sight it becomes really difficult. It came down for about 2-3 hours flying around and then never came back. Hope we can unveil more species as not much work has be done on butterflies of Bhutan.
rgds,
Sonam

Martin Jenkins wrote:Just wanted to comment on the quality of your photographs...truly stunning!

Martin.
Hi martin,

Thanks for the compliment and it is a great encouragement.

rgds,
Sonam

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi all,

I am here at Chukha, Western Bhutan for few days. The monsoon has started and rain is frequent. But I did capture some winged jewels.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Common Woodbrown (Lethe sidonis)
Common Woodbrown (Lethe sidonis)
Blue tit (Chliaria kina)
Blue tit (Chliaria kina)
Chocolate Royal (Remelana jangala)
Chocolate Royal (Remelana jangala)
Striped Punch (Dodona adonira) UP
Striped Punch (Dodona adonira) UP
Striped Punch (Dodona adonira) UN
Striped Punch (Dodona adonira) UN
Metallic Cerulean (Jamides alecto)
Metallic Cerulean (Jamides alecto)
Golden Sapphire (Heliophorus brahma)
Golden Sapphire (Heliophorus brahma)

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi everyone,

Rain is now constant in Thimphu (2400 masl), the Capital of Bhutan. But I did get a break yesterday. I was able capture the following species. Another common species was Bhutan Blackvein (Aporia harrietae) but they mostly fly on flowers and difficult to photograph them. Hope to shoot them soon.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Hockey Sticksailer, Neptis nycteus, rare at this altitude
Hockey Sticksailer, Neptis nycteus, rare at this altitude
Great Blackvein, Aporia agathon, uncommon species at this altitude of 2400 masl
Great Blackvein, Aporia agathon, uncommon species at this altitude of 2400 masl
Indian Purple hairstreak, Iwaseozephyrus mandara ssp. irma (Evans, 1925). Uncommon species.
Indian Purple hairstreak, Iwaseozephyrus mandara ssp. irma (Evans, 1925). Uncommon species.
Pale Jezebel, Delias sanaca,  A very common species in June end - July
Pale Jezebel, Delias sanaca, A very common species in June end - July

David M

Post by David M »

You really are spoiled in your part of the world, Sonam. You seem to have a never ending supply of exceptionally beautiful species.

I'd love to visit one day and see a few for myself (maybe when I retire).

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

David M wrote:You really are spoiled in your part of the world, Sonam. You seem to have a never ending supply of exceptionally beautiful species.

I'd love to visit one day and see a few for myself (maybe when I retire).
Dear David,

I would love to go butterflying with you as well. From tommorrow, I start one new jounrey for 10 days in western and central part, hopefully more butterfly pictures to post. Am worried about the rain and but then again, the season is best for single brood butterflies.

rgds,
Sonam

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Sonam
The variety of species and their stunning appearance leaves me in wonder with every post you make - Bhutan is definitely on my list of go to places following your posts - please keep them coming :D Good luck with your latest trip and I hope the rain lets up - I'll await the photos with interest.
Kind Regards
Mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Mark Tutton wrote:Hi Sonam
The variety of species and their stunning appearance leaves me in wonder with every post you make - Bhutan is definitely on my list of go to places following your posts - please keep them coming :D Good luck with your latest trip and I hope the rain lets up - I'll await the photos with interest.
Kind Regards
Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for going through my pics. Will definitely post the pics. Hope to atleast have few days of sunshine. Please find attached my route map.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
My route map.
My route map.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

HI everyone,

have concluded my trip. Rain was a BIG problem. I did manage to photographs some butterflies. here are some of them and will keep posting more from the trip after some little cropping and all.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Malayan (left) and Common hedge Blue
Malayan (left) and Common hedge Blue
Common Lascar
Common Lascar
Small Staff Sergeant
Small Staff Sergeant
Plain Plum Dart
Plain Plum Dart
Studded Sergeant and Bhutan Sergeant together
Studded Sergeant and Bhutan Sergeant together

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi all,

Some more pics. from my trip.

sonam
Attachments
Common Copper
Common Copper
Dark Archduke
Dark Archduke
Studded Sergeant
Studded Sergeant
Yellow Jezebel
Yellow Jezebel
Blue Duke
Blue Duke
Brown Prince
Brown Prince
Golden Emperor
Golden Emperor
Cruiser male
Cruiser male
Bi-spot Royal
Bi-spot Royal

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Wow!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tony M.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Stunning! That Common Copper (or Small Copper as we call it, assuming it is L. phlaeas) looks somewhat out of place amongst all that exotica!

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”