Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Trevor, Dungeness is well worth a visit: should be lots of second brood Small Coppers later in June.

I went there today and saw 2 Small Coppers and a thunderstorm!

It was about 20C when I arrived this morning, blue sky and full sunshine. Valerian in abundance but no Viper's Bugloss as yet. It still looks very dry down there despite recent rainfall but the Sorrel is plentiful and healthy.

I saw several Painted Lady and notably 8 fresh Small Tortoiseshell.

But just the 2 Coppers
IMG_4908.JPG
One treated me to a "Stalk Dance"
IMG_4915.JPG
Both faded and tired.

This year's first brood at Dungeness started on 6th April and has now run its course. Compared with 2016, the Copper season this year has been about 12 days early. I haven't noticed the usual overlapping (or continual brooding) that we usually see: this year there's a definite cut off between the first and second brood.

I noticed it was getting cooler and looking up this is what I saw
IMG_4920.JPG
My cue to leave!
Soon we had thunder, lightning and heavy rain : well, it is a Bank Holiday!

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Dungeness is certainly on my list Hogger's for July, love the mating pair of Blues Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

July will be perfect for Coppers, Goldie!

I returned to Dungeness this morning where it was very warm and sunny indeed. It's wonderful to see all the Valerian in full bloom (although I'm slightly concerned at the absence of Viper's Bugloss - hopefully it will be coming along soon)

There were Painted Lady,Red Admiral, fresh Small Tortoiseshell, Brown Argus and Common Blue but the only Small Copper I saw were the same two males I found on Saturday, firstly this one
IMG_4921.JPG
IMG_4927.JPG
very alert and active indeed
IMG_4930.JPG
And this chap enjoying the first of the Blackberry flowers to open
IMG_4940.JPG
I just hope both hang on long enough to find themselves a freshly emerged female of the second brood
IMG_4945.JPG
While walking around the observatory moat I looked down and found this
IMG_4949.JPG

I guessed it must be a moth wing but had no idea from which species.

Later on near the Old Lighthouse I saw this beautiful creature resting on someone's car
IMG_4958.JPG
Its hindwings reminded me of what I'd found in the moat. At home I looked it up : Cream spot Tiger.

Very handsome indeed.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Stunning Cream spot Tiger, Hoggers. What a find!. Never seen one in the UK.

All the best,
Trevor.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the Tiger Hoggers :D How soon til the next brood of Coppers will be coming through as those from your most recent posts certainly seem more than a little tired :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Trevor and Wurzel, thanks for your messages : the Tiger was a new one for me! Very attractive indeed.

As for the second brood of Dungeness Coppers, not long to wait at all : last year it began on or around 19th June; this season has been running 12 days early, so if that runs true ( big "if" I know, but lets see what happens!! ) we will be seeing fresh Coppers around 7th June.

That's my prediction!

Hoggers.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Leaving work in Canterbury yesterday I saw a Magpie pounce on something then repeatedly pick it up and dash it down hard onto the pavement as if trying to crack a nut. I walked closer and could see that the "nut" was in fact a very large beetle. The Magpie flew off as I approached leaving the beetle stunned and seemingly lifeless. It was the biggest beetle I've ever seen. I picked up this monster of a beetle and was pleased to see that it wasn't dead, just concussed, so I moved it out of harm's way and before leaving took a photo with my mobile phone
IMG_0808.JPG
I looked it up as best I can and have identified it as a female Stag Beetle. If I'm right then I'm delighted because I've never seen one before!

This morning was comfortably warm and bright at Dungeness. On my walk I found this chap
IMG_4971.JPG
He's the last of the 2017 first brood, still perky, chasing Brown Argus and Common Blues, but all on his own and no other Coppers to play with
IMG_4980.JPG
I was pleased to see some Viper's Bugloss in flower, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Small Heath, Brown Argus, Large White and Common Blues
IMG_4984.JPG
I also saw my first Large Skipper
IMG_4963.JPG
My visit ended on a high note : on the walk back to the car I saw a sudden coppery flash and there before me was the first Small Copper of the 2017 second brood
IMG_4990.JPG
In 2016 the second brood began on 19th June; as this year the Dungeness Coppers have run 12 days early I predicted 7th June as the likely second brood start date, so this chap has surprised me, which only goes to show that Small Coppers keep their secrets and will not be told what to do!

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:..on the walk back to the car I saw a sudden coppery flash and there before me was the first Small Copper of the 2017 second brood

In 2016 the second brood began on 19th June; as this year the Dungeness Coppers have run 12 days early I predicted 7th June as the likely second brood start date, so this chap has surprised me, which only goes to show that Small Coppers keep their secrets and will not be told what to do!
That's quite an advance on 2016, Hoggers. Beautiful individual though. Dark shaded with big forewing spots, a bit like the ones I see in southern France.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You weren't wrong about the second brood nearly being upon us Hoggers :D Cracking shot :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

There's nothing finer than a fresh Dungeness Small Copper
IMG_5033.JPG
I saw three today, two males
IMG_5047.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG
And a female
IMG_5011.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG
Just the one surviving member of the first brood
IMG_5040.JPG
But beautiful newcomers joining him
IMG_5072.JPG
I was impressed by this gorgeous Burnet
IMG_5003.JPG
I wonder if it had just emerged from the yellow cocoon in the photo?

And I saw my first Small Skipper too
IMG_5073.JPG
Marvellous to see newly minted Coppers again!
IMG_5066.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's, great shots again, I'm still looking for the Large Skippers to come out , they seem to come out first here before the Small, hope fully this next week weather permitting, weathers to be bad up here I think. Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie, we've had some very stormy weather down here too over the last week but today was warm and sunny.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived at Dungeness this morning was that the Small Skippers have emerged en masse: last Saturday I saw just one, but now they are pretty much everywhere.

I came across a mating pair
IMG_5162.JPG
They were constantly harassed by another male
IMG_5158.JPG
As for Coppers, I counted 11
IMG_5107.JPG

I didn't find a single individual from the first brood, all were fresh second brood butterflies including this magnificently marked male
IMG_5119.JPG
I bumped into David Walker the reserve warden who pointed out to me a rare plant called Yellow Vetch. I asked him about Greenfinches : For many years I had them in my garden and they were a common sight when I walk my dogs; but I've noticed that I do not see (or hear) them anymore and I wondered why. David said that there's been a huge drop in their numbers due to a disease that's been killing them off. Such a common bird I always took them for granted, but not anymore!

On a more positive note, 11 fresh Small Coppers at this time of year is a very good sign
IMG_5143.JPG
Hopefully they'll have another bumper season

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Fuzz as always Hoggers :D Great to see the Small Skippers as well, won't be long til they're round this way :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Another great sequence of Coppers, Hoggers. I find it hard to reconcile myself with seeing Small Skippers before I've even seen Large Skippers!!! There's quite a difference in emergence times round the country this year.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Hogger's, the Large Skipper's been seen at Brockholes ( Preston ) so I'll be off to there weather permitting soon. Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The weather down here in Kent has been glorious. I took my usual walk at Dungeness this morning and amongst the hundreds of Small Skippers I counted 16 Small Coppers
IMG_5203.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5205.JPG
Two males were particularly well marked
IMG_5168.JPG
IMG_5177.JPG
I came across a fine male showing off his new blue badges
IMG_5172.JPG
Another male treated me to a "stalk dance"
IMG_5188.JPG
I love watching them when they do this.

So although thinly spread at the moment the second brood is gathering momentum
IMG_5190.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5211.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Blazing sunshine made for Molten Coppers today at Dungeness
IMG_5223.JPG
They were whizzing about so fast trying to follow them made me giddy
IMG_5265.JPG
(That and the heat and sorting them out from the hundreds of Small Skippers!)

But I was delighted to note how much easier they were to find than just three days ago
IMG_5257.JPG
27 today
IMG_5261.JPG
Last year I had to wait until 25th June to record them in such numbers. While this year the first brood ran almost 2 weeks earlier than last year a readjustment seems to be taking place with the second brood which is now only about one week in advance of 2016
IMG_5268.JPG
Exciting times!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

According to my car dashboard it was 23C when I arrived at Dungeness this morning: it felt more like 32C to me! Boy, it was HOT! Even the Coppers looked about ready to melt
IMG_5399.JPG
IMG_5354.JPG
My Copper-O-Meter overheated at 43
IMG_5380.JPG
A superb count for the time of year
IMG_5366.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG
But I wonder how many Coppers these cold blooded critters account for?
IMG_5309.JPG
I thought this chap looked splendid with his wide bordered wings
IMG_5276.JPG
He makes for an interesting comparison with this one
IMG_5302.JPG
And I liked the minimal markings on this male
IMG_5325.JPG
Hundreds of Small Skippers
IMG_5317.JPG
The heat reached a point where the Coppers had speeded up and I had slowed to a stop
IMG_5376.JPG
So I decided to head for home
IMG_5311.JPG
And leave the Coppers to it
IMG_5385.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Coppers Hogger's hope to see some in July, Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good to see the Dungerness Coppers are still going from strength to strength, you really do get an incredible array of markings down there!

Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”