May 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
essexbuzzard

Re: May 2017

Post by essexbuzzard »

I think the west of Scotland had plenty of rain in April, so sunshine now should be good for Chequered Skippers.

I'm relation to the south east and East Anglia, we have had grey skies, below average temperatures and drizzle or light rain all week. So I'm praying for sunlight, not rain!
David M

Post by David M »

Double figure Wall Browns seen today at the summit of Kilvey Hill in Swansea, and an added bonus was 9 Small Coppers and a solitary Small Blue:
1Wallupps(1).jpg
1SCopp1(1).jpg
1SmBlue(1).jpg
Totals seen at two nearby sites were as follows:

Orange Tip 20-30
Wall Brown 10-15
Small Copper 9
Green Veined White 5-10
Large White 4
Speckled Wood 3
Peacock 2
Holly Blue 2
Brimstone 2
Red Admiral 1
Small White 1
Small Blue 1
David M

Post by David M »

Two Dingy Skippers seen at Kittle Quarry, Swansea, this afternoon - my first of 2017.
1Dingy1.jpg
1Dingy2.jpg
John Vergo

Post by John Vergo »

Beauties David, you are in front of us in Denmark :)
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

I found another egg-laying Peacock today whilst walking local nettle beds. This time, when I went to check the eggs, a tiny parasitic wasp was already busy.
Egg-laying Peacock - Crawley 10-May-2017
Egg-laying Peacock - Crawley 10-May-2017
Peacock eggs with parasitic wasp - Crawley 10-May-2017
Peacock eggs with parasitic wasp - Crawley 10-May-2017
Only a few Small Tortoiseshell larval webs remain, the rest having largely dispersed.
Small Tortoiseshell 4th instar larvae - Crawley 10-May-2017
Small Tortoiseshell 4th instar larvae - Crawley 10-May-2017
Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stop off at Larkhill produced 2 Grizzlies and several Small Heath but unfortunately no Common or Adonis Blues...but it wasn't all bad I did see one of these...
DSC_1139 - Copy.JPG
Not to shabby for a five minutes stop-off :D - more in PD...eventually :roll: .

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Spent yesterday's sunshine with fellow member MrSpOck , visiting firstly Noar Hill , looking for Duke of Burgundy . Although the breeze held a chill ,
_MG_2386.JPG
_MG_2389.JPG
10/15 specimens were found amongst the shelter of the gulleys on the site , along with the odd Brimstone , Holly Blue and Peacock .
It was then on to Rewell Wood , but met a fellow enthusiast leaving , without a single sighting of a Pearl Bordered Fritillary . MrSpOck led ,
over the top and down the other side , finding immediately a sheltered area he had visited before . It wasn't long till the PBFs started showing , and
_MG_2458.JPG
before we left >10< were seen , including one female with not one but two amourous admirers . Brimstone , Grizzled and Dingy Skippers were also seen .
On the way to our last site , we stopped briefly to look for Club-tailed Dragonfly at Fittleworth , but were unsuccessful .
Arriving at Botany Bay , Chiddingfold , the day was begining to cool down , which made it perfect to find Wood Whites . At least 10 were found , no
_MG_2555.JPG
_MG_2520.JPG
pairings , but singles , twos , threes and fours were found , but none of the females showed any interest to the advances . Brimstone , Speckled Wood and Dingy Skipper were also seen .
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Just managed to get my transect in at High Elms LNR , near Bromley this morning , before the sun went in .
Still very poor numbers , I'm sure due to the weather and last year's ' management ' of the site , but I did get my first two Common Blues of the year .
_MG_2568.JPG
_MG_2563.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A flying after work visit to a local (Ashford,Kent) site ,mainly to look for Grizzled Skipper (s),although this always tends to be a late site,but I finally cracked it ,with a first here for the year,nearly 5 weeks later than the first sighting at Dungeness ! but I was also really surprised to find ,good numbers of Small Coppers on the wing,i generally manage two or three in the spring brood here ,but this afternoon,in just over an hour I found ,a minimum of eleven,but possibly as many as 14 ,including several Blue spots,watched two females egg-laying,so brood two looks in hand !
I also managed to find 2 Orange -tips,3 Peacock,1 Brimstone,1 Holly Blue and one Comma.
Regards Allan.W.
P1100654.JPG
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Just returned from central Spain and I saw the following:
Provence orange tip
Western dappled white
Spanish swallowtail
Painted lady
Wall brown
Common blue
Red admiral
Speckled wood.
I have attached some photos.
Attachments
Western dappled white.jpg
Spanish swallowtail (2).jpg
Common blue.jpg
Spanish swallowtail (3).jpg
Wall brown.jpg
walpolec

Post by walpolec »

Just a couple of hours at Whipsnade/Dunstable Downs this afternoon to look for spring species including Duke of Burgundy. We saw nothing until the sun came out and then saw at least six Dukes/Duchesses within the space of 20m and 5 minutes.

In total we saw at least 13 separate DoB, as well as Green Hairstreak, 7 Small Heath, Grizzled and Dingy skippers, Small White, Orange Tips and Brimstones. Not too bad considering the conditions weren't ideal. Looking forward to checking though my photos later, but not that hopeful of having any particularly good ones due to the blustery conditions.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The Painted Ladies are on their way - an extraordinary abundance of them in southern France last week, and yesterday a couple of dozen at the Pointe du Grouin on the north coast of Brittany, feeding up on the thrift and sea campion before flying out across the bay to the Channel Islands and the west coast of the Cherbourg peninsula. A few whites and Red Admirals were in company, but sadly I doubt the ovipositing Swallowtail also seen there will be making the journey north.
David M

Post by David M »

12 x Pearl Bordered Fritillaries seen at Ewyas Harold Common, on the Herefordshire/Monmouthshire border on Saturday 13th:
1PBFx3(1).jpg
1PBFuns(1).jpg
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

Painted Lady seen at at Mylor, Cornwall despite the strong winds prevalent at the moment.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Fitted in quick visits to several sites,down here in Kent today, a flying visit to take a look at the "Banksy" that's appeared on an end wall,on a derelict building,on the sea front,and on to Western heights,where I was very pleased to find 4 Small Blues ,2 males and a pair in-cop,really pleased with this find ,a first for me. Also seen a single Wall,and Dingy Skipper, a quick stop in Folkestone for a sandwich,and on to Dymchurch,to do a few jobs for the father in law,and then on to Dungeness, Very windy here ,but warm and there were butterflies on the wing ,I clocked up my first Brown Argus (2),and Common Blue (1male),and 12 Small Coppers looking very warn now,no fresh individuals at all ,reckon the first brood is now fading fast ! Although on several other local sites they are still emerging. Was also pleased to witness a Small Heath pairing,possibly the quickest joining I,ve ever seen. The male "accosted" the female as she flew bye, and landed beside her, no apparent wing flicking or courtship of any description ,he moved closer ,bent his body beneath her wings .....and that was it ......joined ! 1 minute max !
Posted a plant picture ,a real beauty,this one ,which is often overlooked,being so tiny . Its called "Birdsfoot" and the flower head is smaller than a match head ! Regards Allan.W.
P1100883.JPG
P1100877.JPG
P1100878.JPG
P1100853.JPG
P1100762.JPG
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

I'd been overseas for the second half of April + since I've been back I've only seen a couple of mobile whites so felt the need for a butterfly fix. Forecast was average with breeze + cloud, but hopefully enough sunshine to see some butterflies. Went to Denbies + recorded:

2 Grizzled Skipper
12 Dingy Skipper
2 Small/GV White
4 Brimstone
1 Speckled Wood
25 small Heath
2 Red Admiral
2 Peacock
1 Green Hairstreak
3 Common Blue
10 Adonis Blue
1 Brown Argus
70+ 5-spot Burnet
1 Mother Shipton
1 Cinnabar
1 Pyrausta aurata
1 P. nigrata

+ bonus of Raven, 2 Red Kite, 4 Buzzard + 2 Kestrel
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Posted a plant picture ,a real beauty,this one ,which is often overlooked,being so tiny . Its called "Birdsfoot" and the flower head is smaller than a match head !
Can't find Birdsfoot via google search. Birdsfoot Trefoil yes, but the picture clearly isn't that.

More info please.

Jack
bailey1409

Post by bailey1409 »

Hi Jack

Try Bird's-foot Ornithopus perpusillus

Cheers

Maurice
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Apologies for that Jack....... Latin names in future ! and thanks also Maurice for adding the latin name.
Regards Allan.W. PS. I,ve added a shot from a couple of years back,which illustrates where the common name "Birdsfoot" comes from.
P1030061.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

For the 2nd Saturday running a butterfly survey turned up a Grizzlie ab. taras.
Grizzled Skipper ab. taras. East Sussex.
Grizzled Skipper ab. taras. East Sussex.

Return to “Sightings”