Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Hoggers

Post by Wurzel »

Such variation Hoggers :shock: :mrgreen: Glad to see you got your radiata too :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Another wonderful range of Coppers, Hoggers. Those radiata seem to crop up with unusual regularity on your patch.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Well done with the radiata, Hoggers :D a nice find :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I like how you say 'first radiata of the year' like you expected to find one and expect to find more :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Buggy, I live in hope!

The radiata variety is quite rare at Dungeness. We see Coppers with reduced orange bands on the hind-wing but the full radiata is a lucky find.

That said, last August there was a spate of them! Something to do with the weather last Summer, perhaps?

The one I found on Saturday looks about 2 weeks old. It's a male so there's a chance it's holding a territory : I'll have look next time I'm down there

Thanks for all the messages

Hoggers.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Mess with a Small Copper
IMG_4647.JPG
And there'll be trouble
IMG_4601.JPG
IMG_4659.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG
IMG_4730.JPG
IMG_4731.JPG
Here's typical behaviour of one male goading another into a punch up
IMG_4672.JPG
The one sitting quietly but the other pushing him
IMG_4674.JPG
then fluttering on top to provoke a reaction
IMG_4675.JPG
These three young Blades put on a great display
IMG_4623.JPG
IMG_4627.JPG
IMG_4628.JPG
IMG_4636.JPG
No shivering Peacocks today: my car dashboard read 15c outside
IMG_4561.JPG
The first brood still has a lot of life in it
IMG_4735.JPG
IMG_4595.JPG
But numbers are on the wane
IMG_4705.JPG
I counted 50 today
IMG_4600.JPG
Not bad given it was very windy
IMG_4701.JPG
I also saw my first Small Heath
IMG_4695.JPG
and 6 Grizzled Skippers
IMG_4698.JPG
A good day's Coppering
IMG_4566.JPG
IMG_4732.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful images, Hoggers, especially the in-flight shots, which are very difficult when you're dealing with such a small subject.

I've seen 9 Small Coppers myself today, so I suppose I shouldn't complain, but having the wealth you have on your local patch must be wonderful, and I thoroughly enjoy all the posts you publish as few if any of us can see such numbers of this delightful butterfly on a single site.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for your comments David, much appreciated.

I remember visiting Dungeness in the Spring of 2010 and the Blackthorns were absolutely covered in Small Coppers! It was amazing and made a lasting impression on me.

I love to watch the male's aerial displays but it's so fast it's just a blur. When I take snap-shots it freezes the action, I can see what's going on and really appreciate what highly skilled, agile and acrobatic creatures they are.

Hoggers

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Some absolutely brilliant in-flight shots there, Hoggers,and some very interesting observations,haven,t been able to get to
Dungeness much for the first brood,so I,m making do with looking at yours ! hopefully will get more time for brood 2 !
Regards Allan.W.

SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Oh Wow! those in flight shots (especially the first one) are awesome.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for you kind comments Allan and Simon - much appreciated.

I always enjoy watching these sparring matches and try to get some photographs. Most come out completely blurred (or I get a beautiful shot of the pebbles!) but now and again I'm lucky and can see what they're doing. It opens up a whole new world!

Best wishes,

Hoggers.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

When I arrived at Dungeness today I was greeted by my first Painted Lady of the year
IMG_4775.JPG
And later saw a second individual

As for Small Coppers, I counted only 26
IMG_4783.JPG
They're in the sort of numbers (and condition) I associate with the last week in May
IMG_4762.JPG
The males battered and worn
IMG_4749.JPG
And a high percentage of females
IMG_4764.JPG
with the occasional individual in pristine form
IMG_4753.JPG
It's certainly been an early season for them
IMG_4741.JPG
I bumped into the reserve warden and he said they'd had rather cold conditions and some heavy rain this week, which would have had an impact on numbers.

I also saw three Brown Argus, Small Heath, Red Admiral and Peacock

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:As for Small Coppers, I counted only 26
For many of us, this would be an annual tally, Hoggers!

I'm pleased to say I'm seeing more and more of them on my patch, although my 2017 total still hasn't reached 20, and I will consider it an achievement if I can mark off a century or more.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hogger's fantastic Coppers in flight, I didn't realise the Grizzlies were there has well, I must try to get down to Kent in May but that may take some arm twisting :D I try when I'm down there in July or August to get to Dungeness with out success , it's difficult when your visiting family, you've to go a long with the flow.
How long do the Grizzlies last at Dungeness :?: Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie, thanks for your comment - The in-flight photos are a favourite of mine. I can really see what's happening in those very fast duels!

I found my first Grizzled Skipper at Dungeness in early April and I know about 6 were spotted over the last weekend, so I'd say the sooner you can visit the better!

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

David Walker (the warden of Dungeness Nature Reserve ) has just emailed me this photo of a stunning Small Copper found by him just outside the reserve
Small Copper ab radiata Joys Pond 150517e 0985.jpg
As I'm stuck at work I don't know if to thank him or throttle him!

Hoggers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'd get there has quick has I could Hogger's :lol: thanks for your feed back, I can't get there now but I'll have to get down there in May instead of July next time I visit, hope you see the that Copper! Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Walking the dogs this morning I was delighted to be joined by a Small Copper which flew past me along the footpath.

Seeing a Small Copper before breakfast was inspiration enough to head down to Dungeness.

The whole estate is in bloom and there were plenty of butterflies including Painted Lady
IMG_4808.JPG
Brown Argus, Common Blue, Small Heath, Red Admiral, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell and a Small White.

As for Coppers, I counted only 8
IMG_4810.JPG
This is the sort of number I'd expect in late May/early June.

I didn't find any fresh models
IMG_4814.JPG
This Lesser Spotted Copper caught my eye
IMG_4788.JPG
It's an interesting variation I see now and again.

And this female with a nice "Ray" pattern on the hindwings
IMG_4818.JPG
But we're definitely at the fag end of the first brood now
IMG_4827.JPG
Still, that means the second brood is on its way!

ps. A photograph I took of a beetle at Dungeness on 29th April was seen by the reserve warden who then took expert advice and it's been identified as Hister quadrimaculatus, only the fifth British record!
IMG_0794.JPG
I'd named it the "Open Bracket - Close Bracket Beetle"...

I think I'll stick to Small Coppers!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

It's not often I allow anything blue in my diary
IMG_4839.JPG
But with the emergence of fresh Common Blues at Dungeness I couldn't resist
IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4874.JPG
Just as I photographed this pair
IMG_4902.JPG
They separated
IMG_4904.JPG
The female flew away pursued by the male (not something that happens with Small Coppers)

I noticed that the male Brown Argus often behave like their Coppery counterparts
IMG_4835.JPG
Sallying out to intercept passing butterflies

As for the Coppers, they're in low numbers,bashed and very faded
IMG_4856.JPG
IMG_4847.JPG
IMG_4894.JPG
Though a few are not so bad
IMG_4876.JPG
Amongst them however I did find this interesting individual
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_4890.JPG
The tail-band looks like a row of orange diamonds

This is the only fresh Copper I found (a female)
IMG_4896.JPG
These last remaining members of the first brood may be faded and worn, but they're ever vigilant and full of vim
IMG_4884.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

Keep this up Hoggers and you'll be getting a reputation for Common Blues ! :lol:
Great to see your Coppers too. Dungeness is on my to do list this year.

Best wishes,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”