maverick

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
maverick

Re: maverick

Post by maverick »

IMG-20160313-WA0015.jpg
Fist comma of the year
The kids thought I was really funny ,Daddy jumping over fences at Gulliver world to take a picture of a butterfly

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
maverick

Post by maverick »

small torts.JPG
nuthatch.JPG
male bullfinch.JPG
goldcrest.JPG
some of the more interesting visitors to my garden
also the small tortoistshells are back

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
maverick

Post by maverick »

small copper underside.JPG
Small coppers are a first for me and local too , Moore nature reserve warringtoalso the orange tips are all over my garden and down the canal bank outside my house
A holy blue has also been seen but its being very camara shy
Attachments
small copper.JPG

maverick

Post by maverick »

orange tip wings open.JPG
plenty of orang tips this year
Attachments
orange tip head.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice Orange Tip Maverick, time for a look at Gait Barrow for the Dukes and Pearls , hope to try there soon. Goldie :D

maverick

Post by maverick »

This individual stayed in my garden for about three days the weather was bad the whole time but me and my son checked on him several times a day and he just stayed put. That's why I could get up close

maverick

Post by maverick »

20161009_125559.jpg
well that's probably the last of the butterflies that im going to see this year
Seen on the banks of the river mersey

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

If it is the last butterfly Maverick - have a good Christmas etc see you next year :D but if not :D , and I reckon you might find something else before next season, have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Keep on looking, Maverick. Whilst the ivy's still in flower, there ought to be Red Admirals feeding on it.

maverick

Post by maverick »

I've tried hard this year in planting plants that will bring the butterflies nere my garden
I've planted about six buddleia on the river bank along with other wild plants
And most of my garden plants are butterfly friendly,but in Warrington it's been a poor year for me. Ie the peacocks where every where last year ,this year I've only seen about ten ,only one painted lady and so on.
I could in hind sight go further a field looking for them ,but with having two young children it's not always practical (it's a bit difficul taking a picture with a two year old on your shoulder 's)
Let's hope there waiting for next year

maverick

Post by maverick »

Well ive done it , ive been envious of all the posts of people seeing butterflies down south
i got out after lunch today on the river bank by my house and they where everywhere , i managed four different types on my camera bring on the orange tips
tortoiseshell.JPG
peacock.JPG
brimstone.JPG
comma.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's a great start Maverick, well worth the wait I'm sure :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You've had a better start than I have Maverick with your Butterflies, I went to HLB in Westhoughton and there wasn't a flutter, I thought I'd see some thing at Brockholes but again drew a blank, I'll just have to wait for some nice weather coming again.

I've to send for my parking pass for Gait Barrow yet, it's free, you can't always park though for people who've got no pass :)
I think the best time to see the Dukes, ( I'm taking what you said in Janet's post ) is around the middle of May, I went up last year and there wasn't much happening, but we did see one or two, but the PBF were there on the Duke site, also the SPBF were just coming out there, also the Green HS, Dingy Skipper, I think the Northern Brown or more to the end of May and much better to see at Arnside.
I usually don't make plans when to go up there, we usually wait until the Sun shines and just take off, you know what the weather's like up there and it's always at least 2 degrees colder there.
Hope to see you there some time :D Goldie :D

David M

Post by David M »

Well done, Maverick. Looks like the season has extended at least as far as the north west. Be patient for a few days, as things are forecast to turn for the better later next week!

Return to “Personal Diaries”