Matsukaze

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
peterc

Re: Matsukaze

Post by peterc »

David,

I ordered a buckthorn sapling from https://3fatpigs.co.uk/ (Beechwood Nurseries) in 2014 so you could try them as well.

ATB

Peter

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

16 species of butterfly in a couple of days last week in Malaga province, southern Spain, not all yet identified and some never will be - Geranium Bronze, Holly Blue, Large White, Small White, Brimstone/Cleopatra (female flying by at speed), Speckled Wood, Small Copper, Wall (in good numbers), Black-eyed Blue (single male patrolling a thorny bank with considerable vigour and persistence), Clouded Yellow, Scarce Swallowtail feisthameli, Green-striped White, Dappled(?) White (impersonating the previous species), unidentifiable small blue, Spanish Festoon (unexpected fly-by whilst we were having coffee in a garden centre...), Red Admiral. Photos to follow.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Moth with punk tendencies - can anyone provide an ID?
Moth with punk tendencies - can anyone provide an ID?
Male Black-eyed Blue
Male Black-eyed Blue
Green-striped White
Green-striped White
Dappled White - presumably crameri, not tages
Dappled White - presumably crameri, not tages
feisthameli
feisthameli
El Bronzo
El Bronzo

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting to see the Black-eyed Blue, that's not a species often mentioned :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Great to see the Black-eyed Blues, Matsukaze. A lovely species that I have only encountered once, in the Var in mid-April 2015.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

The Western Dappled White (E. crameri) looks good to me, with the angled hindwing costa.
Chris

Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

The pretty little moth appears to be Amephana aurita.

M.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Are we going to see that unidentifiable little blue? :D

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote:Are we going to see that unidentifiable little blue?
Attention to detail as ever, Guy!

Yes, can we see the lycaenid in question, Matsukaze?

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

No photo, so unfortunately not...it was perched behind this stuff, so I did not care to approach in any great hurry, and then it flew:
Dsc08631.jpg
Male celina would be a best guess. It certainly wasn't any of the other blue species I saw.

Thanks to everyone for the ID help!

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Freshly-emerged Lychnis moths. I collected the caterpillars from bladder campion seed-heads last summer and they emerged today. One has already flown...
Dsc00077.jpg
Dsc00073.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Wonderfully cryptic markings on the moth Matsukaze :D Although I think I've been watching too much Mighty Boosch as I can see evil face of the Hitcher :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Fantastic camouflage, Matsukaze. Well done for rearing them to adulthood.

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Thanks folks.

A bit of backstory here...there are a few related moths that feed on the seed-heads of various campions. Most use the various species of white campion, that are fast disappearing from Somerset, but this one extends its feeding range to red campion as well. In the summer of 2015 I collected several Lychnis caterpillars from the seed-heads of red campion and later, as an afterthought, some less-developed ones from the seed-heads of the only sizeable patch of bladder campion that persists locally (I was trying to see if Netted Pug still survived in the area - check out photos of it to understand why). The small bladder campion larvae pupated shortly after the red campion larvae but then emerged in the autumn, whereas the red campion larvae overwintered. At this point I thought I was on to something interesting - are the seeds of the white campions more nutritious, and is this why the Lychnis larvae that fed on them grew up faster and got in an extra generation, and why the other seed-head feeders are restricted to the white campions?

2016 didn't really bear this out, unfortunately, as there was no second generation at all - perhaps the earlier spring had something to do with that. After I had collected the first larva from the wild and it had eaten through the food in its seed-heads, I made the mistake of collecting a bunch more bladder campion seed pods from my garden to give it food to continue to grow. Another 11 caterpillars were inside...I ended up having to buy in seed to feed the caterpillars. I am glad they have started to emerge.

My garden is now full of assorted Caryophyllaceae, significant amounts unidentified and of alien origin. It will be interesting to see what the moths choose to lay their eggs on this summer...
Lychnis larva in the wild, approaching full size, on seed-pod of red campion
Lychnis larva in the wild, approaching full size, on seed-pod of red campion
feeding up
feeding up
Emergency accommodation!
Emergency accommodation!

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A remarkably beautiful dragonfly - immature male Black-tailed Skimmer, this evening.
Dsc00342.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A great find Matsukaze, a species I've yet to encounter :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Some days you just get lucky. Freshly-emerged Hornet Moth just outside work in Bath today. I've known they were here since 2009, as they make distinctive emergence holes at the base of poplar trees, but this is the first time I've ever seen the adult.
2017-06-12 12.49.11.jpg
2017-06-12 12.50.05.jpg
2017-06-12 12.55.36.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

What a beautiful insect, Matsukaze. Many thanks for sharing.

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A nice find...
Dsc00547.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Now you're talking! Butterflies and wine combined!

What could possibly be finer! :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”