Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 2 - Here we go...again.

The second week and the second opportunity to showcase your favourite shots of 2016! Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Brown Argus - Favourite Photo of 2016

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hello,
Brown Argus have a long flight period down my way.
We can tell that this individual is early due to the Spring spurge it is nectaring on.
Later individuals have to find other, less rich, sources of nectar.
April 20th
agestis14 Olive grove 20Apr16 (1).JPG
April 8th
agestis13_83 Mazaugues 8Apr16 (2).JPG
Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I often come across these little butterflies unexpectedly, when looking for other things. I was particularly surprised by some unusually bright specimens, seen on a visit to Aston Rowant. I think they were freshly emerged because their wings showed bright green and blue iridescence, which my camera had difficulty capturing,
Aston Rowant NNR - 15th August 2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO640
Aston Rowant NNR - 15th August 2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO640
Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my photos of the Brown Argus at Temple Ewell in Kent. Once I go to Kent TE is my favourite place for seeing Butterflies what ever time I go July/Aug etc, I was surprised though to see so many BA, on previous visits I'd never seen so many, in fact last year I only saw one or two on my visit, this year there were loads and all were busy nectoring so it was hard work getting too close to them has they flew off when approached, I did mange some longer shots though .
One of the BA just looked liked a Northern BA from a distance, I'd to remember I was in the South :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4c78.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4846.jpeg
celery

Post by celery »

Brown Argus (Plebeius agestis) (4).jpg
Above is an example only notable because it's the first one I've ever recorded in my Nottinghamshire garden - thus becoming the 22nd species I've seen here in 5 years of residence. (Next year I'm hoping for Small Heath - there's a colony about 100 metres away, as the insect flutters - but I'm yet to record one inside the bounds.) Seen on August 16th.
Below is one that, though quite a worn specimen, is still showing some purple iridescence on the forewings. This one from St. Pompom, Dordogne on the 15th September.
Brown Argus (Plebeius agestis) (5).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A day in the Chiltons, with Dukes as the target species provided one of the few days this year when Brown Argus were seen in reasonable numbers. This fine specimen caught my eye in particular :)
Brown Argus female, Ridgeway Walk #6.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Plenty of species have had poor years in 2016, but none more so than Brown Argus in my opinion. I probably saw fewer than half a dozen in the earlier part of the year and it didn't get much better later on.

For that reason, I was delighted to see three individuals on 30th July when I was walking around the north Gower coast.

This specimen was particularly fresh and cheered up my day no end:
1BrownArgus(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

As David says, I felt this species had a poor year, particularly in the first brood when I only saw one on my local patch. However, the second brood was a bit better, and a third brood male seen on 2nd October was a bit of a surprise.
BA8 021016.JPG
Dave
peterc

Post by peterc »

In contrast to Dave and David, I was pleased with the numbers of second-brooded Brown Argus this year although its cousin Common Blue did not do so well. Photo below taken at Aston, near Stevenage in late July.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
BrownArgus Aston 26Jul16
BrownArgus Aston 26Jul16
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I didn't see many Brown Argus at all this year but I not sure if this was just me being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The most I saw were scattered about at Upton Towans when I was down in Cornwall in early September. They are always a bit hit and miss around my local patch and I never see many here even in the better years and last year I didn't find any at all. I was pleased therefore to find a single male at my local site at Bickenhill so for this reason the photo below is my favourite.
Brown Argus -  Bickenhill 06.08.2016
Brown Argus - Bickenhill 06.08.2016
Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown Argus

This was taken at The Devenish during the first week of October. At the time I was wandering over the far side of the reserve wondering where all the butterflies had gone when this little BA buzzed by. When it flew soothing about it didn’t seem right as it was much more ‘silver’ than normal almost as if it wasn’t a Brown Argus but a faded male Blue. It was also a right pain to follow as it zipped here and there doubling back on itself before eventually plonking down amongst the grass. Luckily I did manage to relocate it and I was really glad that I did as the underside was really well marked with white – hence the much more silvered appearance in flight. However it didn’t keep its wings closed for long and when I was able to see the forewing topside it was a cracker – almost as if I had a Southern/ Northern Brown hybrid before me. The usual dark dot on the fore wing was circled in white so it really stood out. It is the most unusual Brown Argus I’ve seen hence my choice of it as my Favourite of 2016.
DSC_0883 - Copy.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Nice Brown Argus,Wurzel '
AB; Snellini ( I think ) found one at Wye NNR (Kent) last year. Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A couple of shots from Littlestone,Kent,from an early morning plant hunt,although I saw good numbers around the Dungeness
area ,and the North Downs,i didn't take too many pictures. regards Allan.W
P1030688.JPG
P1030288.JPG

Return to “Brown Argus”