Bhutan Butterflies

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Sonam Dorji

Bhutan Butterflies

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi Everyone,

I am a nature enthusiast from Bhutan. I have documenting butterfly diversity of Bhutan for quite a long time. I would like to share my pics and info of Butterfly diversity of Bhutan. Hope you all enjoy them.

rgds,
Sonam Dorji
Attachments
UN of yellow Kaiser. Zhemgang
UN of yellow Kaiser. Zhemgang
Yellow Kaiser. Saw to of them and quite a large butterfly.
Yellow Kaiser. Saw to of them and quite a large butterfly.
Pallid Faun. This species seems to appear from April to June.
Pallid Faun. This species seems to appear from April to June.
I got these pics recently in May from South-Central Bhutan, Zhemgang (district).
I got these pics recently in May from South-Central Bhutan, Zhemgang (district).

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bhutan Butterflies

Post by Padfield »

Hi Sonam, and welcome. A lot of us at UK Butterflies are fascinated by world butterflies and we look forward to more of your postings. Beautiful butterflies.

You must be able to guess which species we really hope you will post some pictures of ... :D

Guy

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Bhutan Glory???

T.M.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Tony Moore wrote:Bhutan Glory???
The same. :D Something I've dreamt of seeing since I was a child.

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Padfield wrote:
Tony Moore wrote:Bhutan Glory???
The same. :D Something I've dreamt of seeing since I was a child.

Guy

*goes into a dreamlike trance state*

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Thanks all, I don't have a good pic of Bhutan Glory but will do so soon. They fly quite high. But it is quite common. They appear from August till mid October.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Welcome Sonam. Wow, what fantastic butterflies. Thank you for sharing them with us. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Sonam,
I thought I lived in a different world (South of France), but you live on a different planet. :D
Chris

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Thanks Nick n Chris. Will keep u all updated with pics n info

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Welcome from me in Scotland UK.

How popular is butterfly watching/photography in Bhutan?

Butterflies have become increasingly popular here since good digital cameras became available. Bird watching is probably more poplar - birding is a all-year activity whereas butterflies are most obvious only in summer. Of course many people follow both interests.

Bhutan Glory looks fantastic. For those like me who didn't know of this amazing butterfly, here is a link:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1kyyUJ6-y2s/V ... udlowi.png

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi Jack butterfly watching n photography is still at a nascent stage. It is better with people working in nature conservation in the govt but very less among the general public.
Birding is popular be coz of tourists.
Rgds
Sonam

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Another picture of the stunning Bhutan Glory courtesy of a member of the Singapore Butterfly Circle (well worth a look on Facebook).
12088005_10153633489758485_4014883793249888176_n.jpg
Tony M.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

If I'm not mistaken, Jack and Tony have pointed us at two different species of Bhutan Glory - B. ludlowi and B. lidderdalii respectively.

Back to you, Sonam! We look forward to pictures of any species, as well as any tales you have to tell about them.

Guy

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Dear Padfeild,

What u said is true. There are two species of bhutanitis. Bhutan glory is b. liderdellai (sorry for the spelling) n the other one is b.ludlowi. The second was declared as the national butterfly of Bhutan 2011. This species is recorded from one area in Bhutan n is quite rare. It was thought to be found in Bhutan only but it has been seen in India n Myanmar recently. The other n actual Bhutan glory is common n found in western, central, eastern Bhutan. The ludlowi appears earlier than the lider... Appear around August end.

Sure, more pictures will follow. Right now am in a place where the net is slow n am unable to upload pics.
Sonam

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Hi everyone,

These are pics from my collections.

rgds,
Sonam
Attachments
Red lacewing, Common, Central Bhutan
Red lacewing, Common, Central Bhutan
Dusky Diadem, common, Central Bhutan
Dusky Diadem, common, Central Bhutan
Sikkim Freak, March, Western Bhutan
Sikkim Freak, March, Western Bhutan
Pale Green Sailer, Central Bhutan
Pale Green Sailer, Central Bhutan
Red-breast Jezebel, again quite common below 1500 masl
Red-breast Jezebel, again quite common below 1500 masl
Golden Emperor, quite common
Golden Emperor, quite common

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Some more butterfly pics for Bhutan.
Attachments
Common Blue Apollo, a high altitude butterfly. Flight is real slow
Common Blue Apollo, a high altitude butterfly. Flight is real slow
Great Spotted Blue, western Bhutan, 2400 masl
Great Spotted Blue, western Bhutan, 2400 masl
Studded Sergeant
Studded Sergeant
Bhutan Sergeant, common below 1500 masl
Bhutan Sergeant, common below 1500 masl

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Additional pics from Bhutan
Attachments
Red-base Jezebel
Red-base Jezebel
Lime Butterfly, common, Central bhutan
Lime Butterfly, common, Central bhutan
Hockeystick Sailer, common, central bhutan
Hockeystick Sailer, common, central bhutan
French Duke, rare, Central Bhutan
French Duke, rare, Central Bhutan
Blue Pansy, quite common
Blue Pansy, quite common
Black Forester, quite rare
Black Forester, quite rare

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Bhutan has suddenly shot up on my list of places I want to go!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Eastern Courtier, Commonly found.
Attachments
Eastern Courtier, commonly found
Eastern Courtier, commonly found

Sonam Dorji

Post by Sonam Dorji »

Trashiyangtse district lies in Eastern Bhutan close to the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh. This is the place where the Ludlow's Bhutan Glory was found again in 2011. During the survey, another species, Bhutan Treebrown was also found. The Ludlow's Bhutan Glory specimen was brought in UK by British Explorer Frank Ludlow in about 1938-1939 (date not exactly sure) and in 1942 was declared as the new species. I think the specimen is still there at NHM, London. This species B. ludlowi is locally called as Ludlow's Bhutan Glory and is often confused with the other species. B. Lidderdalii, which is the actual Bhutan Glory. I am told researchers have found a moth species that mimics Bhutan Glory.

This area is restricted as it lies close to the border. I have been exploring other parts of the place for almost five days. Rain is a great hindrance but when sun comes out, I rush out. The pictures (Great Blackvein and Pale Jezebel) posted below are very very commonly found and in large numbers.
Attachments
Lesser Punch, a little rarer than the above two
Lesser Punch, a little rarer than the above two
Pale Jezebel, again anther common species.
Pale Jezebel, again anther common species.
Bhutan Blackvein, very very common species here at this time of year it seems.
Bhutan Blackvein, very very common species here at this time of year it seems.

Return to “Personal Diaries”