Silver-washed Fritillary – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15 – This week must be the second placed week of the thread in 2018 because they're all 'Silvers' :wink: And after that very tenuous link let's crack on...

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Silver-washed Fritillary – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by millerd »

On 30th June, despite not a great deal of sunshine, plenty of male SWF were around in Fermyn Woods.
SWF3 300617.JPG
SWF4 300617.JPG
A week later, a really hot day down at Bookham produced more females.
SWF2 070717.JPG
SWF8 070717.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I took a fair few pictures of these but most, now I've looked through them are decidedly average. I suspect my attention was focused on getting White Admiral pictures of which there were LOTS at Bookham this year, as well as those Purple ones that did so well this year. Anyway here's one of each sex that stood out from the crowd:
Silver-washed Fritillary female, Bookham Commons #12.JPG
Silver-washed Fritillary male, Bookham Commons #1.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

It has been wonderful to see Silver-washed Fritillaries return to suitable woodland in Essex and Suffolk over the last 5 years or so.

These photos of a male and a female were taken on midsummer's day this year at Bradfield Woods, Suffolk.
IMGB3075_edited-4.jpg
IMGB3082_edited-5.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I have already posted several photos in this 'Favourite Photo' thread from a splendid afternoon at Bucknell Wood, Northants., but this post goes to the heart of my excitement on that day :) I am very grateful to 'Art Frames', who drew my attention to this wood.

Before my visit, I had only seen single examples of the Valesina form of the Silver-washed Fritillary, on just a few occasions. To see several in a small area and to photograph two together was a truly memorable experience.
Bucknell Wood, Northants - 25th July 2017<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens (at 180 mm) - 1/1000s @ f/8 ISO 1000
Bucknell Wood, Northants - 25th July 2017
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens (at 180 mm) - 1/1000s @ f/8 ISO 1000
Mike
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

I came across this mating pair in a local wood in East Sussex. I particularly liked the first image as it shows just how well the pair blended into a leafy background.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
(1) Silver-washed Fritillary (mating) 23.6.17 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
(2) Silver-washed Fritillary (mating) 23.6.17 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

As many people, I have a particularly soft spot for form valesina.
These two shots are of the same female valesina in the west Var, south of France, in mid August, on Cephalaria leucantha:
paphia25 female f. valesina La Coutronne 15Aug17 (1).JPG
paphia25 female f. valesina La Coutronne 15Aug17 (6a).JPG
Chris
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

these were near Pomas, Aude, France in August

36061150633_1580da6f5d_o.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm afraid my trip to Fermyn Woods on the 14th of July , earlier than last year, was not as successful because of the early appearance of the Butterflies, I did see both White Admiral and Silver Washed Fritillary but the Emperor was high in the sky, so no shots for me of him this year :(
The SWF's were not at their best with bits out of their wings and one Female with a very torn wing but since it was only the first Female I'd ever seen ( not including the Valesina which I saw a couple of years a go too briefly to get a good shot of) I still took a photo which I'll keep until I can improve on the photo :D

I must admit our visit was shorter this time just calling on our way to Kent so I was happy to get the shots I did especially the one of a White Letter HS which landed in front of me at ground level. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_7a1c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_85cd.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

downland boy wrote:I came across this mating pair in a local wood in East Sussex. I particularly liked the first image as it shows just how well the pair blended into a leafy background.
Great image those, DB. Yes, the first shows off the camouflage, but it's the second that's particularly striking. They posed very nicely, that's for sure. Well done.
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't see too many of these in the UK. I was away for the start of their flight period but a handful kept popping up at the Brown Hairstreak site in Pembrokeshire during August.

However, this species was around in near-pestilent numbers in the French Alps in July. I must have seen 500+, including several valezinas. Here's a rather poor shot of one with a nominative form adjacent:
6.SWF+Valezina(1).jpg
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Silver-washed Fritillary have done well in Cambridgeshire. I remember the first In Monks Wood 2011 which I was lucky enough to photograph to confirm their presence there. I recorded a top count of 27 in my local wood, Aversley on the 24th June 2017. I had seen the odd one or two there in recent years but it was good to see the increase in numbers. Monks Wood was awash with them if you will pardon the pun :lol:
Silver washed Fritillary _0198.jpg[ [attachment=1]Silver washed Fritillary _0198.jpg
Attachments
Silver washed Fritillary 0214.jpg
Silver washed Fritillary _0198.jpg
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Thanks David...glad you liked. DB.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Silver-washed Fritillary were very numerous in my local wood, where I took these photographs. 2017 was the first year that I encountered valesina in this wood and I saw several but they were always close to the shadows and on the wrong side of brambles so close approach was impossible. The courting couple were more approachable.
Attachments
swf2.JPG
swf1.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Some superb images posted folks,love the Valesina females posted, an AB I,d really like to see ,seems to have been a good year for them ,didn,t take to many Silver-Wash shots in,i must admit I enjoy just sitting and watching them !
Regards Allan.W.
P1140595.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-washed Fritillary

This was taken during my family holiday to Devon and became my choice for three reasons:
1. It was totally unexpected being on Buddleia, at a Farm Park on the edge of Dartmoor and also during the back end of August.
2. It was the only normal female I managed to capture on film in 2017
3. It was taken surreptitiously; “I’ll just go and find out what time the pony rides are…” :wink:
DSC_0038 - Copy (2).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My first Silver-washed Fritillaries this year were seen in the Heddon Valley in late June when I saw a number of both males and females scattered about the area.
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Heddon valley 26.06.2017
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Heddon valley 26.06.2017
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Heddon valley 26.06.2017
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Heddon valley 26.06.2017
A month later there were good numbers at Snitterfield Bushes in Warwickshire,
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Snitterfield Bushes 26.06.2017
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Snitterfield Bushes 26.06.2017
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Snitterfield Bushes 26.06.2017
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Snitterfield Bushes 26.06.2017
Cheers,

Neil

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”