Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 16.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Silver Washed Fritillary

This was taken on a great day in August (19th) at Martin Down. I’d taken the girls for a picnic and after we’d had lunch in a Bivvie near the hotspot I spent a sweltering hour finding and photographing a whole range of butterflies from the Blues to Silver Spotted Skippers, Clouded Yellows to Coppers. It was one of those magnificent days when every few steps would yield something interesting or different to photograph.
Eventually the girls enthusiasm began to wane so we started the dusty walk back to the car with several stops on the way to prevent whinging occurring. The girls had already raced the final stretch back to the car and were waiting for me when I was stopped in my tracks by an unusual sight – a ghostly butterfly working its way along the hedge. When it paused for some nectar I nipped in for a few shots as I realised it was a Greenish (Valesina). It seemed like an unusual place to see it – along a hedge row in the middle of Downland grasses and I presume it was using them as a wildlife corridor between one area of woodland and another. This may also have explained why this is the first Greenish that I’ve seen in the open, all my others (4 in total) have always been back in the shade. So for the sheer unexpectedness and for being so out of place it classes as my favourite.
Silver Washed Fritillary (Martin Down 19-08).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

You can imagine my excitement when I walked down the garden on 27th July 2013 at 12.15 and found this male Silver-washed Fritillary sunning itself and nectaring on the pink buddleia. However on closer inspection I cottoned on to the fact that this was not the case, as it had in fact become the victim of a Crab Spider. Nature in the raw!!! I was obviously very pleased so see a Silver-washed Fritillary in the garden but not really like this. I think it was a new species for the garden, although I may possibly have had a flyover one summer a few years ago.
In my opinion this was an exceptional year for Silver-washed Fritillary as I know of a few that visited gardens and good numbers lingering on at some woodland sites well into August, some still in very nice condition. I found over 100 on 21st August 2013 in one Dorset wood. Here is my snapshot and you can see that naughty spider peeping coyly in the background.

Regards
Mike Gibbons
Attachments
Silver-washed Fritillary and Crab Spider
Silver-washed Fritillary and Crab Spider
CFB

Post by CFB »

My favourite Silver-washed Fritillaries of 2013 are this handsome male
IMG_8328.JPG
and this beautiful female f. valesina
IMG_8492.JPG
--
Colin
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice photos Colin.
I photographed this one during my first BF season in 2011, before I started to understand what sexual dimorphism was about, and then spent weeks trying to identify it from all the fritillaries in my rather approximate beginners' field book, obviously ruling out the SWF, as only the male was depicted.
The moral to the story is, make sure a beginner gets a comprehensive field guide from the start.
Chris
paphia - Savoie region, France, 2011
paphia - Savoie region, France, 2011
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This was in a garden on the edge of the New Forest on a brilliant sunny afternoon. Although I took a number of more conventional portraits, this shot seems to me to capture the feel of High Summer!
New Forest, Hants - 19th July 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR zoom - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO800
New Forest, Hants - 19th July 2013
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR zoom - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO800
Mike
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My first Silver-washed Fritillaries of 2013 were in the Heddon Valley in early July where I saw a few. The photo below was taken on one particular bramble covered sunny bank where there were a couple of SWFs mingling in with High Brown and Dark Green Fritillaries on one of those afternoons that will live long in my memory :D
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Heddon Valley 07.07.2013
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Heddon Valley 07.07.2013
A week later I was back home when during a walk around Oversley Wood, a brief flash of orange under the shade of an Oak tree drew my attention to a mating pair. It was very shady where they were settled so I used flash for this photo to light them up a bit.
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Oversley 13.07.2013
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Oversley 13.07.2013
Later that same week I was in Fermyn Wood where I took this shot of a male against the clear blue sky.
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Fermyn 18.07.2013
Silver-washed Fritillary male - Fermyn 18.07.2013
My overall favourite however is this female, simple because it was taken in my back garden :D
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Coverdale 28.07.2013
Silver-washed Fritillary female - Coverdale 28.07.2013
Not only was it the first SWF that I have had there but it is the first time that I have ever seen one anywhere within 20 miles of my house :D. It appear that SWFs had a good year in Warwickshire and I have heard that they were popping up all over the place, sometimes well away from their usual haunts.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I didn't take many photos of this splendid butterfly this year, but a couple of shots of the same individual facing in different directions highlighted for me the contrast in colour you can get from varied lighting. A female seen at Botany Bay on 19th July.
Mostly shaded - very green
Mostly shaded - very green
In bright sunlight - silver-washed is spot-on!
In bright sunlight - silver-washed is spot-on!
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Paid scant attention to this species in 2013. I tended to be on the alert for other species whenever I encountered them, although I did photograph this female at Botany Bay on 17th July whilst hunting down Purple Emperors:
1SWFfem(1).jpg
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Silver-washed Fritillaries are a very familiar sight of high summer in the woods down south, so much so that they often don't get much more than a glance and not many a photo taken. These were my favourite pictures from last year from a visit to Bentley wood with Wurzel: our primary quest to seek the Purple Emperor. Eventually we did get our quarry but at distance (I won't be sharing that one) of an easily spooked individual on a log. It had been skilfully lured down from the treetops by a patient PE aficionado (we later dubbed Baitman) and his bag full of weird and wonderful excrescences :) . The Silver-washed frits were a good consolation but even better would have been a valesina which I've yet to see :( .
Female, Bentley Wood 21/07/13
Female, Bentley Wood 21/07/13
Mating pair taken with flash
Mating pair taken with flash
Same pair without flash
Same pair without flash
Great pictures of the Valezina Wurzel and CFB :mrgreen: I also like the artistic shot from MikeOxon and nfreems Heddon valley male the is a cracker too :D .

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”