Silver-Washed Fritillary in North Shropshire

Chris Speke

Silver-Washed Fritillary in North Shropshire

Post by Chris Speke »

I have spent the last two mornings wandering around Llynclys Common Nr Oswestry. Yesterday I caught sight of one of the larger fritillaries flying fast up into and around trees. The clouding sky put a stop to id-ing the species. Today in brilliant sunshine, I was surprised to come across a patch of brambles on which were feeding three male Silver-washed fritillaries. As far as I am aware, this is new ground for the species (comments please) . Also pleased to come across an egg-laying Dark-Green fritillary which this year I have noted seem widely distributed on calcareous heath in North Wales and Shropshire.
MikeOxon

Re: Silver-Washed Fritillary in North Shropshire

Post by MikeOxon »

I notice that in the Sites data for grid square SJ ( http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/sites_sq ... ies=paphia ), SWF are listed as present at Earl's Hill and Allt Dolanog, which are not far South of Llynclys. DGF is also listed at Eyarth Rocks, so more info. on the distribution of this species is also interesting.

Mike
selbypaul

Re: Silver-Washed Fritillary in North Shropshire

Post by selbypaul »

That's brilliant news. Sounds like a natural expansion in their range. I'm from Chester. Finger's crossed they may reach me within the next ten years or so!

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”