Silver washed Fritillary

John Ogden

Silver washed Fritillary

Post by John Ogden »

2012-08-10 Maidenhead Thicket 12.jpg
Date and time: Friday 10 August 2012; c. 10.30 am BST
Place: Maidenhead Thicket, Berkshire
Camera: Canon G9, shooting RAW, slightly adjusted for white balance and exposure, then cropped.
Male Butterfly feeding on teazle, which is not commonly listed as an adult food plant
MikeOxon

Re: Silver washed Fritillary

Post by MikeOxon »

I almost missed your first posting on this site but welcome to the forum . The 'species specific' items seem to have become a Winter pastime, to re-visit the pleasures of the previous year, so most postings at this time tend to go into 'Sightings'. It's quite late for silver-washed and your example seems to have seen some rough times but is clearly enjoying the current burst of sunshine.

Mike
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

There are still some relatively fresh specimens on the wing here in Somerset - mostly female it seems now.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

In 2013 I made several visits to the Bookham Commons, Surrey to see Silver-washed Fritillaries (SWFs).
I noticed from the beginning of July when the males first emerged, they were primarily feeding on bramble blossom and ignoring thistles but later in July I took a picture of four SWFs feeding on a thistle (which is in my photo album) and into August they were finding other flowers. I concluded that they were probably willing to nectar on a large variety of flowering plants if the plants were ready and readily available.
In reference to the original post here is a small 2013 compilation which I hope, helps
Silver Washed Fritillary feeding.jpg
best wishes,
Philip
Kind Regards,

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”