Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by downland boy »

My favourite photos were taken on Ashdown Forest in East Sussex...one of my favourite haunts.
Attachments
Silver-studded Blue (m) 18.6.14 Ashdown Forest, East Sussex. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
Silver-studded Blue (mating) 20.6.14  Ashdown Forest, East Sussex. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shot of the double act Down land boy, I've sadly not seen this Butterfly yet but hope to do so this year Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Whilst staying near Weymouth in late June on a family holiday last year I managed to get over to Portland for a morning, primarily to look for Silver-studded Blues. After finding a few well worn examples at Broadcroft Quarry, I moved on to Tout Quarry where I found half a dozen more, some of which were in much better condition including the nice male below,

The next four shots are of the one individual,
Silver-studded Blue - Tout Quarry Portland 30.06.2014
The next shots are favourites because, although the butterflies were a bit worn, they gave me a surprise in that they were among a few that I saw on Bindon Hill at Lulworth Cove where I was simply not expecting to see them.
Silver-studded Blue - Bindon Hill 02.07.2014
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

I regretted paying lip-service to this species in 2013, so last year me and Bill (Willrow) spent an entire day at the site where the UK's most isolated population of SSBs can be found - Castlemartin in Pembrokeshire.

We had good weather and managed to observe over 100 individuals. In addition, we were treated to the usual spectacular sea views as well as unusually approachable Choughs, which made the day even more memorable:
1Chough2(1).jpg
1SSBmaleupp2(1).jpg
1SSBfemuns2(1).jpg
P1110320(1).JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

I didn't get down to Thursley Common this year, but managed to see these lovely blues at Fairmile, Chobham and Dawney's Hill - Surrey is blessed with a variety of opportunities not too far from here. Here are a couple from Fairmile Common at the start of the season (8th June)...
SSB3 080614.JPG
SSB8 080614.JPG
...and another from Dawney's Hill a bit later on (21st June).
SSB6 210614.JPG
I love the iridescence on brand new females of this species, though unfortunately the one above isn't in focus.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-studded Blue – Slop Bog 15-06-2014

This is my favourite because of the behaviour behind it. Back on my single trip to Slop Bog for Silver Studs I was hoping to find some fresh individuals being attended by ants. In the end I did find a freshly emerged Silver Stud but it seemed to be being hassled by another older individual. It was low down in the heather and was valiantly hauling itself up to the top. All the while the older Silver Stud was knocking into it, a blur of blue wings. And so it continued; the fresh one climbing slowly up and the older one knocking and buzzing it. Eventually it reached the top after about 6 minutes of climbing, it re-orientated itself and it’s wings started to iron out the creases.

As soon as the ascent was complete the older one flew off. At the time I thought that the older one was confused and was hoping to copulate mistaking the fresh emerger for a female. Then I considered it to be in some way seeing off a rival – but then why stop at the top when your rival is out in the open and easier to attack? I’m now starting to think that maybe it was helping out a fellow member of the species and the knocking was nudging – assisting it in it’s ascent? Whatever the reason it made for a fascinating observation, I could almost hear the whispered velvet tones of Sir Dave narrating the scene unfolding before me.
Silver Studded Blue.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Hi Goldie, I'm glad you like the photo of the mating pair and hope that you get to see this lovely species during the coming season. I'm lucky that they are just a 20 minute drive away for me. Downland boy
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

This photo was taken in May in the South of France this year. I find the head-to-head encounter charming.
argus13_13 pair P Bruyères 28 May 2014.JPG
UK BFers are not too hard done by for beautiful species. Despite my (priviledged ?) situation in the South of France, I have no photos to show of Purple Emperors, White Letters, Purple Hairstreaks, Scotch Arguses, Silver-spotted skippers, Marsh Frits, Pearl-bordered Frits, Peacocks, etc. ...... :mrgreen:
The grass is not always greener on the other side. :(
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I didn't see the SSB myself has I said before, but I have to say how lovely all the photo's are so far and you nearly all have two some's fantastic you lucky people :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Like Dave I've taken to visiting Dawneys for my Silver-studs (cracking site). And as ever its difficult to pick a favourite I'll confine it to two, both in typical head-stander poses :)
2014.06.18 IMG_3365 Silver-studded Blue (male), Dawney's Ridge tr.jpg
2014.06.21 IMG_3515 Silver-studded Blue (female), Dawney's Ridge tr.jpg
Phil

Return to “Silver-studded Blue”