Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-studded Blue

After a few unproductive trips to Slop Bog I was beginning to wonder if I’d have to start looking at new sites to try and find Silver Studded Blues. They’d been seen for a few weeks in the counties further east from Dorset and this year my first sighting was almost 5 weeks later than last. Finally they emerged and a pointer form ChrisC (cheers Chris!) saw me cleaning the girl’s teeth while reading them their stories while drinking my tea while they were in the bath – all so I could get back to Slop Bog in time to photograph some Silver Studs! There was a slightly hazardous moment when I was trying to drink their toothbrush and clean their teeth with “George’s Marvellous Medicine” but once I’d mopped up I was on my way.
The evening visit paid dividends as the butterflies were all coming in to roost and so were scattered around the heather tops in small groups which meant a nice easy approach and the light was just gorgeous. I struggled to choose a single favourite shot as there were so many I’m happy with – very fresh males, closed wing females with huge studs, open winged and oily sheened females, group shots but this one stood out as my favourite. It fits nicely into my “stained glass” collection and it was great fun elbow crawling across the heather and getting into position beneath it. I almost got “ticked” but I wouldn’t have minded. Once I’d gotten the shot I stayed awhile just enjoying the sight.
Silver Studded Blue  07-05 Slop Bog.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Just finding this species at all in its Pembrokeshire hideaway was sufficient.

Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

I only made one trip to Prees Heath in search of this little gem last year. It was July 5th and it was a warm day with some long sunny spells. I have three favourite images from the day, the first being a male photographed on the Bell Heather. There were several copulating pairs around including the acrobatic pair in the third image.
Silver Studded Blue.jpg
Silver Studded Blues.jpg
Silver Studded Blues2.jpg
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Silver Studded Blue from Iping Common.
Attachments
DSC_1439 (800x531).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My son Chris and I went to Prees Heath last year on July 4th, the day before Nigel by the looks of it. The day started off very dull and drizzly but we soon found some roosting Silver-studded Blues along the old runway. After spending a couple of hours here we went to Whixall Moss as descibed in my diary and returned to Prees Heath later in the afternoon when the sun had come out for a bit.

These first shots were taken during the dull morning
Silver-studded Blue - Prees Heath 04.07.2012
And these were taken when we returned later in the afternoon
Silver-studded Blue female - Prees Heath 04.07.2012
Silver-studded Blue female - Prees Heath 04.07.2012
Cheers,

Neil.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I like this one though it could be sharper. Thank goodness I remembered Jacks tale of visiting Westleton Heath/Westleton Common :D
Attachments
SSB IMG_0152.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

My best came on 3rd July at Iping Common near Midhurst. Numbers were down this year, but there were still plenty to go around.
Neil
UKB SSB Iping Common 3.7.12.jpg
UKB SSB (2) Iping Common 3.7.12.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I saw these little jewels at three sites this year: Fairmile Common, Dawney's Hill and Thursley Common - all Surrey heathland. Fairmile proved the best of the three on the days I visited, and all these photos are from that trip on 20th June. I was particularly pleased with the beautiful new female, displaying a lovely sheen on the wings.

Dave
Attachments
shiny new male
shiny new male
mating pair
mating pair
male with unusually indistinct markings underneath
male with unusually indistinct markings underneath
new female
new female
posing for the textbook
posing for the textbook
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

These were taken at Prees Heath, and again a first time I have seen SSB's. The mating pair were tucked away on a very dull and windy day.
Attachments
IMG_4195q.jpg
IMG_4905aa.jpg
IMG_4185a.jpg
IMG_4236a.jpg
I like this because of the lovely silver studs
I like this because of the lovely silver studs

Return to “Silver-studded Blue”