Silver-spotted Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Silver-spotted Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 15.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Silver-spotted Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Silver Spotted Skipper

On the 10th of August I finally managed to head over to Stockbridge Down. I was worried that I’d left it too late to see these cracking little butterflies but luckily my trip yielded good numbers of both slightly worn and fresh individuals. This is my favourite because I find it has lots of interesting features. It shows some habitat and nectar source – useful for future reference. I could add that I like the way the light catches the sex brands giving them an almost metallic appearance like bands of silver. Also that I like the way the proboscis is held so it looks like a fishing reel. But really it’s my favourite for too many reasons the main one being that I just like it. It’s one of those shots that I look at and it just seems to “fit”, it feels right and I could spend hours trying to reason why when to my mind it just is.
Silver Spotted Skipper (Stockbridge 10-08).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

For some reason, I find I only have one picture of this species for 2013. It is a common butterfly in the Alps but always a joy and I don't know why I seem to have ignored it last year!

I took this photo in an alpine meadow on 20th July, on the way down from photographing Warren's skipper near Zermatt, in the high Alps.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Reputed to be the ugliest of our caterpillars, I just had to see for myself. Well, they may be ugly, but absolutely fascinating, weaving together a tube of grass blades in which they spend all their time (and eventually pupate).
Silver-spotted Skipper - larva - Thatcham - 16-Jul-13 (3) [REARED].jpg
Silver-spotted Skipper - larva - Thatcham - 16-Jul-13 (2) [REARED].jpg
Silver-spotted Skipper - pupa - Thatcham - 04-Aug-13 (2) [REARED].jpg
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

I am always blessed with a choice when seeking out this little gem - Aston Rowant, Box Hill and Denbies all call out and in the end I inevitably visit all three. The first provides the most and the easiest sightings. On a day with sunny intervals, they bask on the sheep paths across the steep hillside and as you creep slowly along, spotting the orangey-olive dots against the chalky soil suddenly becomes easy. If it's not too breezy (and it almost always is!), they will perform the classic pose on a scabious flower. They are not difficult to find at Box Hill either, but at Denbies, they seem much more widespread across the expanse of the hillside and I have very few photos of them from there over the years. Here are two from Aston Rowant. The first is a female, taken immediately after laying with the egg still in shot (23rd August).
SSS + egg 230813.JPG
The second is the aforementioned classic pose atop a scabious (26th July).
SSS3 260713.JPG
The last is from Box Hill on a very hot day indeed (1st August).
SSS 010813.JPG
Dave
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

That first shot is excellent, Dave!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Pete! One of those lucky ones - I didn't see the egg till later on.

I've just noticed that by chance, across our two posts above, you can see all four stages of the SSS life cycle in just three photos.

Not often that happens...

Dave
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Nice to see the larvae and Pupae Pete, must try to find some this year along with most of the other butterfly early stages

Here is an adult from Old Winchester Hill

Cheers

Andy

Silver Spotted Skipper.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

The first of these 2 pictures was from my local patch of Frog Firle with the other picture from the outskirts of Friston Forest.
DSC_5900 (1024x683).jpg
DSC_6190 (1024x680).jpg
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This one really looks to be enjoying itself on the Scabious at Aston Rowant NNR, Oxon:
Aston Rowant NNR, Oxon - 1st August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Aston Rowant NNR, Oxon - 1st August 2013
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Mike
CFB

Post by CFB »

A bit like badgerbob's first photo.

Photo taken August 12 at one of my favourite sites near the D204 between Valbonne and Roquefort-les-Pins.
IMG_9423.JPG
--
Colin
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My one and only time with Silver-spotted Skippers in 2013 was a drive down the M40 to Aston Rowant on 2nd August specifically to see these. I arrived at the north side of the reserve at mid-morning under an overcast sky with a light drizzle that soon cleared to turn into a warm sunny day albeit one with a steady breeze across the hillsides. There were loads of SSKs across the hillsides and the warmer it got, the more seemed to appear until there must have been hundreds of them sharing the slopes with hundreds of Chalkhill Blues :D
Silver-spotted Skipper - Aston Rowant 02.08.2013
For the sheer cuteness factor, the shot below of a pair looking like they are cuddling up together is amongst my favourites :D
Silver-spotted Skippers - Aston Rowant 02.08.2013
Silver-spotted Skippers - Aston Rowant 02.08.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photo's every body, I'm afraid I was in too much of an hurry with my photo's, I was so excited at having found them :D
My pictures were taken on the 20th August at Temple Ewell Kent Goldie :D
Attachments
Silver Spotted Skipper TEW 20th August 2013 IMG_2713.jpg
Silver Spotted Skipper TEW 26th August 2013 IMG_2771.JPG
Silver Spotted Skipper TEW 20th August 2013 IMG_2732.JPG
Silver Spotted Skiper TEW 20th August 2013 IMG_2726.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

8th August 2013 was a memorable day as my visit to Aston Rowant probably resulted in the greatest number of butterflies I've ever seen at a single site in the UK.

Chalkhill Blues were about in the low thousands and Silver Spotted Skippers into three figures!

I like this image because it shows the extraordinary length of proboscis in this engaging species:
2SSSkunder3(1).jpg
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

I do not normally post on this type of thread as my pictures are not really up to it, my camera is pretty rubbish :( At the moment I am happy if I get the subject in focus without cutting the antennae off :lol: However, I was very pleased to get this cheeky 'up close and personal' shot on a fantastic day at Oxenbourne Down on 4th August this year :D Thankfully the blade of grass in the foreground is barely noticeable :oops:
Attachments
DSCN8123 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Silver-spotted Skipper”