Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 15.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Ringlet

This was taken at The Devenish on 23rd June. I’d stopped off here a number of times for a flying visit before work as well as the occasional sneaky stop-off on the way home. This time though was a proper visit on what started out as a blustery, damp and cool summer afternoon. I was accompanied by my older daughter and after we’d waded through the long grasses, ascended the steep hill and used the massive branches as See-saws she settled down with a book while I scouted about.
Amongst the Blues and Meadow Browns I found Large Skippers and a late Grizzlie. Then something different fluttered into view a beautiful velvety chocolaty Ringlet. My first for the year and the county and that’s why it’s my favourite; my first ever “first record”.
Ringlet (The Devenish - 23June).JPG
Have a goodun
Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice one Wurzel, lovely photo.
Chris
millerd

Post by millerd »

I seem to have hardly taken any photos of this butterfly this year. I know I didn't see any at all on my local patch, which was a shame - I hope they reappear this year. I did find them in abundance however on a mostly grey afternoon at East Blean Woods in Kent whilst hoping to find Heath Fritillaries. There were lots of Ringlets and Large Skippers, but I somehow missed seeing any Fritillaries, and the only burst of sun brought forth a White Admiral instead. The Ringlets were nice and new and chocolatey - here's an example (12th July).
Ringlet2 120713.JPG
Dave
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Whilst looking for Blues at High and Over I came across this newly emerged Ringlet which allowed me a top and underwing shot.
DSC_5549 (1024x689).jpg
DSC_5553 (1024x680).jpg
http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This is quite a plain fellow but with rather handsome fringes! Taken at Whixall Moss, Shropshire (in rather poor light), during a successful visit to photograph Large Heaths.

edit : After Butterflysaurus Rex and Pete Eeles considered this image to be a Meadow Brown, I've posted a different image later in the thread :)

Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Mike I hope I don't come across as a smart ass because I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert but it looks to me like you have a rather nice photo of a Meadow Brown there :wink:

Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote: it looks to me like you have a rather nice photo of a Meadow Brown there
edit: Pete Eeles agrees with you!

No doubt about this one! There were several along the lane between the car park and the Moss at Whixall and I took a few shots, just as it was starting to rain. I hadn't noticed before how similar these two species can look!
Ringlet2_2013.jpg
Whixall Moss, Shropshire - 10th July 2013
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/125s@f/8 ISO400

Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Wow I've never seen a Ringlet like that before, I will have to look much more closely at what I think are Meadow Browns in future. The orange on the fore wing totally fooled me - thanks Mike :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hmmm.... it wasn't until I looked through my photos for this one that I realised that I overlooked Ringlets a bit in 2013, only taking a few odd mediocre photos. I am still wanting to get a photo of a nice fresh individual showing that lovely velvety texture with bright white fringes, one to aim for this year I think.

Amongst the few that I did take, the shot below is my favourite as it was taken in my garden, this one being the only Ringlet that I have ever seen there so far :D
Ringlet - Coverdale 16.07.2013
Ringlet - Coverdale 16.07.2013
Cheers,

Neil
David M

Post by David M »

Disgracefully, I took only 4 images of Ringlets in 2013. This one was the best (taken at Bernwood Forest on 30th June whilst hunting Black Hairstreaks):
1Ringlet(1).jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my photo of the Ringlet at Gaits Barrow on the 6th August. I got quite a suprise because I'd heard they were there but it was the first time I'd seen one I was looking for Scotch Argus which I did find later at Arnside Knot.

I must say though that I'd been to my daughter's early July where they usually are in abundance but I didn't see one, Goldie :D
Attachments
Ringlet GB 6th August 2013 IMG_2510.JPG
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Mike I hope I don't come across as a smart ass because I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert but it looks to me like you have a rather nice photo of a Meadow Brown there :wink:

Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
That is 100% male Meadow Brown IMHO :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

This one is from the Cantal département in France. I had finally managed to get my first full open-wing shot. What a relief.
Chris
hyperantus 18th July, Cantal, Auvergne, France
hyperantus 18th July, Cantal, Auvergne, France
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pete Eeles wrote: (quote="Butterflysaurus rex")
That is 100% male Meadow Brown IMHO :)
Thanks Pete. I must say it was amongst definite Ringlets and looked very similar in colour, though the light was poor and it was just starting to rain, so I was hurrying. I'll remove it from this thread so as not to mislead others :)

Mike

Return to “Ringlet”