Red Admiral - Favourite Photo 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 14

So here we are into 2017 proper with most people back at work :( - hopefully the Species Favourite Thread will keep our spirits up :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Red Admiral - Favourite Photo 2016

Post by downland boy »

My favourite shot was taken on the Solent shoreline at Lepe, Hampshire.
Attachments
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

These had a rather good year, particularly when the home bred animals started to emerge, so I ended up with a fair few pictures but this one makes me smile. The positioning of it's vestigule front legs giving in a rather 'stern expression' :)
Red Admiral female, Walthamstow Marshes #9.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My favourite's this year were taken once again in my back garden on the 30th Sept/2nd Oct .
One shot I like because the weather had been chilly the night before and the RA was taking full advantage of the morning Sun :) The other because I managed to get a shot of the" ab Biabata " Goldie :)
Attachments
Red Admiral 30th Sept.jpg
fullsizeoutput_5052.jpeg
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Red Admiral 160923 010L.jpg
During the 4th week of September Red Admirals were stoking up on ivy blossom in my Cambridgeshire garden before continuing on their journey south.
For the best part of that week I had daily counts in the 40s and 50s.
In this photo I managed to snap 17 of them - a few are well hidden.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

WOW! I've never seen so many all at once. Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This was caught on one of those brilliant, sunny, Autumn days, along the Roman Road leading onto Otmoor, Oxon. I like it because the photo has captured the fruit loving behaviour of these late-season butterflies.
Otmoor, Oxon - 22nd Sept.2016<br />Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO640
Otmoor, Oxon - 22nd Sept.2016
Olympus E-M1 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/9 ISO640
Mike
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Just a couple of shots,from late Summer taken early morning at Dungeness, during a morning plant hunt ! regards Allan.W.
P1050967.JPG
[attachment=1]P1050958.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
P1050958.JPG
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I encountered a very amenable individual on the Norfolk coast in July. After perching on an upturned rowing boat and allowing me to photograph the wing undersides it perched at eye level on brambles and provided me with a nice front view.
Attachments
Red Admiral 1.JPG
Red Admiral 2.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A saw a scattering of Red Admirals through the summer but numbers really took off at the tail end of the season when I had more on the late flowering buddleias in my garden than I had seen all season up until then. My favourite shots were probably these two of the same individual.
Red Admiral - Coverdale 14.09.2016
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I saw good numbers of this butterfly locally throughout the season, and as ever they were at there best probably in September/October. Here are a few from 2nd October, a splendid overall butterflying day in many respects on my local patch.
RA2 021016.JPG
RA6 021016.JPG
RA8 021016.JPG
RA4 021016.JPG
I think I probably took photos of Red Admirals on more days than any other species, and may well have more photos of them than anything else.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Red Admiral

These were taken during my first trip to my Marshie Site. I had to choose them both as they fitted together and told two halves of the same story.
I’d already seen a Red Admiral but this was the first that I’d managed to photograph. It was acting in an odd way, flitting low over the nettles and occasionally dipping down to land or circle around a particular patch. It was only when I got in even closer that I realised that it was a female looking for places to lay eggs. I stood and watched and eventually she moved in closer still so I was able to capture a few shots.
Re 1.JPG
Once she moved off to find further suitable nettles I examined the nettle and there was her egg, relatively protected on the underside of a new leaf surrounded by little silica hypodermic needles.
Re 2.JPG
When I got home and sorted through the shots my fave took on a more sinister feel when I noticed a small wasp stalking the female.
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

There were plenty of Red Admirals on my 'patch' in late summer and well into autumn. This one, seen at Old Castle Down, near Bridgend, on 23rd July, was the first one I took an image of last year:
1RA(1).jpg

Return to “Red Admiral”