White-letter Hairstreaks at Hadleigh Castle Country Park, Essex

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Adrian Dowling

White-letter Hairstreaks at Hadleigh Castle Country Park, Essex

Post by Adrian Dowling »

I am keen to photograph White-letter Hairstreaks and, living in East Kent, they are difficult to come by around here, but I understand that Hadleigh Castle Country Park in Essex is a reliable place to see them down low enough to photograph.

A trip to Essex for them is possible for me in a day and I was hoping that someone here might be kind enough to give me details or a map of whereabouts at Hadleigh I should be looking to maximise my chances of success, as I have never been there before and wouldn't know where to start.

I know the 'EssexBuzzard' has posted about them before somewhere, but a PM to him/her has not received a reply, so maybe they are away on holiday or not currently active on the forum.

Many thanks in advance,
Adrian
bugboy

Re: White-letter Hairstreaks at Hadleigh Castle Country Park, Essex

Post by bugboy »

I'll PM you when I get home later :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Just been to Hadleigh today, Wednesday, and the hairstreaks are definitely out. As it is a Country Park, a map should be available if you 'google it', but I always find them on the brambles in the sheltered hedges about half way up the slope, near the Benfleet Downs (western) end. Look for the elm scrub, and check any brambles or wild privet nearby. If you get to Benfleet Downs, the elm disappears and you have gone too far, so turn back. The best area is probably about 400-600 yards before Benfleet, and about half hour walk from the car park at Chappel Lane. If driving on the A13, you will see there is no right turn into Chappel Lane, but you can turn in front of the fire station, slightly further on. There is a visitor centre, so a map should be available there. Good luck.
Adrian Dowling

Post by Adrian Dowling »

Many thanks for the info EssexBuzzard, it's greatly appreciated. I was hoping to go up tomorrow on my day off but the weather forecast isn't looking good. I'm not off again until the end of next week so hopefully there will still be some around in excellent condition. Fingers crossed for a good forecast then.

Adrian
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Because this site is south-facing, the adults fly early, and I fear the white letters will be past their peak by the end of next week, though I could be wrong. Remember, they will fly even if there is just a little sunshine, provided it is warm enough. A few adults were already showing their age on Wednesday,though most were very good. I hope this doesn't complicate things, but if the weather is good enough, I would go this weekend. Whenever you go, keep an eye open for people with cameras,as they may be able to show you the best area, I can't get there, unfortunately, or I would show you around happily.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hmm, just checked the forecast not great, but might be worth checking in the morning, as the forecast may improve!

Return to “Sites”