Recommendations wanted for butterfly sites near and around Swindon/Glastonbury.

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
butterfly_pete

Recommendations wanted for butterfly sites near and around Swindon/Glastonbury.

Post by butterfly_pete »

Hello, Peter from Nottingham here. There ain't that many butterfly species in my local area.
I have a hotel booked for the first of July in Swindon, then camp in the general area for a few days before/after.
I want to take in as much butterflies as possible.
I don't know the area at all.
I'm planning to go to Collard Hill for the Blues. Apart from that I'm open to all suggestions.
Would like to see a Purple Emperor, but it may be too early for them?
Other on my to-see list would be some fritillaries maybe white admiral, hairstreaks.
Any ideas or recommendations for best places to look.
Thanks
Pete
David M

Re: Recommendations wanted for butterfly sites near and around Swindon/Glastonbury.

Post by David M »

Lower Woods, near Wickwar, is very good for Silver Washed Fritillaries and White Admirals. You could see Purple Hairstreaks there too if your timing is right.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Recommendations wanted for butterfly sites near and around Swindon/Glastonbury.

Post by Wurzel »

You could check the sites section on this website or the local branch websites for Wiltshire and Gloucestershire which will also give you an idea of what's about. For Purple Emperor you could try Savernake Forest or Bentley Wood, West Yatton Down has Adonis Blues and Silver-washed Fritillary, Clangers and Green Lane Wood have Purple Hairstreak, White Admiral and Silver-washed and there is Calstone Coombes for the Blues and Dark Green Fritillaries. Hope this helps :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
butterfly_pete

Post by butterfly_pete »

Thank you folks for your ideas.
I've penciled in some of your suggestions, trouble is, were off tomorrow, so may be a wash out :( .
Cheers
Pete
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Pete,

Only just seen this - hope this gets to you in time.

Not far from Collard Hill, you can see Silver-washed Fritillary and White Admiral at Shapwick Heath, along with just about every kind of heron you can imagine. A little way to the north on the Mendips, there may still be a few Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries at Priddy Mineries, and Dark Green may just be out now at Ubley Warren or the new BC reserve at Westbury Beacon, although it's not quite the right time for either species.

Marbled Whites fly at most of these sites.

Return to “Sites”