Forest of Dean (Mid-May)

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
SimonC69

Forest of Dean (Mid-May)

Post by SimonC69 »

Hi all,

Looks like I'll be visiting my inlaws over the weekend of 13th/14th may, so I'll need a diversion (I'm Joking - They're lovely!)
They live on the edge of the forest of dean (near Littledean)
Any suggestions for sites in the forest? As my butterfly "life-list" is only at 31, assume that any of the "less common" species that could be on the wing, second weekend of May would be a draw for me :)
also, any species specific tips for what to look for/how to find etc, would be very much appreciated.
Ta
Simon
David M

Re: Forest of Dean (Mid-May)

Post by David M »

I visited the Forest of Dean a few times when I lived in Abergavenny and can confirm that Wood Whites and Grizzled Skippers fly there.

However, not too far away is Haugh Wood, near Fownhope, where you will find Wood Whites quite easily as well as Pearl Bordered Fritillaries.
David M

Post by David M »

I've just been looking at my notes from way back, Simon, and I saw the Wood Whites and Grizzled Skippers in the scrubby fields near to the junction of Horse Pool Lane and May Bush Lane, if that helps you at all?
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

That's good info David, thanks. Even if i don't make it this time round it's worth bearing in mind for the future (especially since I also have relatives in Hereford)
David M

Post by David M »

No worries, Simon. If you do wish to visit Haugh Wood, let me know and I'll tell you the best area to see Wood White and Pearl Bordered Fritillary.
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

Serridge Green near Brierley can be a good place to see wood whites, small pearl bordered fritillaries and grizzled skippers. The small pearl bordered fritillaries can also be found at Moseley Green. The grizzled skippers are also found at Nagshead nature reserve which is managed by the RSPB.
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Glostopcat wrote:Serridge Green near Brierley can be a good place to see wood whites, small pearl bordered fritillaries and grizzled skippers. The small pearl bordered fritillaries can also be found at Moseley Green. The grizzled skippers are also found at Nagshead nature reserve which is managed by the RSPB.
That's excellent, looks like that is very close to my in-laws (just up the hill from Littledean) so that's definitely doable! any tips to find the WWs or Frits? (assuming the weather is favourable and the they are about)
Cheers
Simon
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

The Linear Park on the outskirts of Cinderford is potentially another good site to visit. It is off the Valley Road in Cinderford and great for invertebrates. Butterflies like grizzled skipper, wood white and small pearl bordered fritillary have all been recorded there. You can also see commoner species like common blues, marbled whites and small heaths there as well as a number of rare moths and dragon and damselflies at nearby Woorgreens nature reserve and Crabtree Hill.
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

Ah, I know linear park very well. Cheers!

Return to “Sites”