help with northern species

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
bugboy

help with northern species

Post by bugboy »

OK well, as most of you will be aware I'm now down to just 6 UK species to find, 4 of which I think I'm going to need help with. I've managed to get the time off work (27th May to 11th June & 24th June to 9th July) but getting to the sites of Chequered Skippers, Large Heath, Mountain Ringlet and Northern Brown Argus could be problematic for me. I know NBA ssp salmacis is found at Arnside but I'm really after ssp artaxerxes.

I did see on the species distribution of the NBA that there is a colony in Edinburgh on Arthur's Seat, is this still a reliable colony? As for the others if anyone has any tips on convenient sites that can be accessed for a non driver (I'm not scared of an hour or two hike), or if any one's willing to offer a lift if you also have these species in your sights this year (happy to donate towards petrol) I'd be happy to hear from you :)

Thanks in advance

Paul
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Re: help with northern species

Post by millerd »

Hi Buggy - I think I read somewhere that there is a small colony of Chequered Skippers very close to Spean Bridge station. I don't know if anyone can confirm this and if so whether it is still going?

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote:Hi Buggy - I think I read somewhere that there is a small colony of Chequered Skippers very close to Spean Bridge station. I don't know if anyone can confirm this and if so whether it is still going?

Dave
Thanks Dave. I checked the BC SW Scotland branch and looks like they were last seen in and around there in 2010 :(
David M

Post by David M »

Chequered Skipper - Glasdrum Wood. Lots of them there.

Mountain Ringlet - Irton Fell. This is probably the easiest site to see this species at. A 10 minute steep walk from the quarry car park but you'll be tripping over them soon afterwards!

Large Heath - Look no further than Whixhall Moss (home to the davus form, which for many is the most attractive).

NBA artaxerxes - I reckon south east Scotland is best for this. There are quite a few colonies in this region.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

The Spean Bridge colony is spread out and thin on the ground, and the colony is tiny. 2 years ago I found 2 adults only, and in one area.

Assuming that you will be using public transport, then the options might be limited. I've looked at train stations near to sites I'd recommend and most are at least 8km away. I haven't checked on buses.

For NBA ssp. artaxerxes, I suggest you ask Iain Cowe (IAC), the regional expert in the Borders. I don't know about the current status at Arthur's Seat.

For Chequered Skipper, I'd recommend Glasdrum Wood which is very reliable, and at the southern edge of its range. While the species is found at other sites, I've never seen it in any numbers except at Glasdrum. Ariundle is good, but it is a large site and lots of walking required. And it's out of the way somewhat.

For Large Heath and Mountain Ringlet, you need to decide which subspecies you're going to go for, especially since they emerge at different times between north and south.

For Mountain Ringlet, I'd recommend Ben Lawers (Scotland) or Irton Fell (Cumbria, and an early site).

For Large Heath I'd recommend Glen Loy (ssp. scotica), where you can also find Chequered Skipper, and Meathop Moss (ssp. davus). Whixall Moss is supposed to be pretty good too.

[Edit] Looks like Dave and I agree :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks all, I best make sure my walking boots are in good order from the looks of things :lol:
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

bit late to the party but for the most part I am going to back up Pete.
For NBA talk to Iain Cowe but Jim Asher could give you details of a couple of colonies on the Solway. The colony on Arthur's Seat is where it was originally described from which may add a little something to seeing it.
Probably going to be running a CS day at Glasdrum this year at the end of May (weather permitting) - if you could get to Glasgow I could give you a lift but I can't guarantee the weather.
As for Large Heath, Wester Moss has polydama & is usually reliable (it is a BC Reserve for LH) & isn't far from Stirling & therefore train. Knowetop Lochs in D&G is OK too but you need to know where there (it's localised there). Looks like you have candidate sites for all 3 subspecies ...
For Mountain Ringlet imo Ben Lawers is the easiest place in Scotland but if you don't have a car it will be a bit of a hike from the main road.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Scott, not too late at all :) . Still very early in the making plans stage and thanks for the offer of a lift to Glasdrum, I may take you up on that. Iain's been very helpful with NBA but I did find this interesting discussion this morning re. the NBA at Arthur's Seat/Holyrood Park:

http://www.eastscotland-butterflies.org ... ?f=5&t=314
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

artaxerxes can be found at Bishop Middleham Quarry - a tiny site near Sedgefield, Durham. There is some overlap there between the two subspecies. It's a terrific little site, if a bit difficult to find and has some rare orchids as well. Definitely worth a visit.

Tony M.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Tony, I shall investigate that site further to see if it's 'doable' for me :)
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Tony Moore wrote:artaxerxes can be found at Bishop Middleham Quarry - a tiny site near Sedgefield, Durham. There is some overlap there between the two subspecies. It's a terrific little site, if a bit difficult to find and has some rare orchids as well. Definitely worth a visit.

Tony M.
I don't think this is artaxerxes based on everything I've read regarding the distribution of the two subspecies - unless you have some literature I haven't seen, Tony. I think they're still salmacis, but with larger-than-normal white spots. Just like you get artaxerxes with reduced spotting. My 2p :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Pete,

I'm sure you are right - I was very surprised to find some insects with clear white spots and assumed that they were artaxerxes, without really knowing anything about it :oops: .
It's still a terrific little site and a good place for Wall Brown too.

There's so much to learn... :mrgreen: .

Tony M.
IAC

Post by IAC »

You dont only get two white spots across the Border, oh no, nothing quite so common, how about four white spots ab quadripuncta!! :D This ab is quite common among the south east Scotland colonies. I am still in argument with myself whether it is more common on the coast as opposed to inland...however...they are a fairly dandy find. The BMQ NBA are likely a mix of hybrids, though no less wonderful I might add...but not the real McCoy...I will probably kick off a Northern Brown Argus war with that statement. Salmacis have been recorded in the Scottish Borders..at least, thats what is in the records. I have no photographic proof of that, I have seen little evidence of it, though aberrant NBA are out there and can be found, and thats very likely what they were.

Just to add for interest. a few years ago Artaxerxes was confirmed once again in the Cheviot Hills on the English side at two separate sites. The rumour was of introduction...I have to say I hate the notion of someone who announces these things as introductions and then does not back that up with some facts. I have had experience. I have seen photos of one individual from the Cheviot colonies and they are perfect artaxerxes in every way. Even though I am lucky enough to be surrounded by a wealth of NBA sites here in the south east Scottish Borders....I really would like to see the Cheviot species in habitat. Perhaps I will this year.

Iain.
Attachments
ab quadripuncta Berwickshire 2016
ab quadripuncta Berwickshire 2016
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the help everyone, plans are starting to slowly coalesce.

Another question I have, whilst hunting for Wood Whites of the Cryptic variety in Ireland I'd like to take in some Irish Marsh Fritillaries, is anyone familiar enough with Irish sites, either side of the border, that would be good for both these species?

Thanks in advance :)
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I know Cryptic Wood White is found close to Rosslare harbour so it apparently can be seen if you take the ferry from Fishguard as a foot passenger - I seem to rember Adrian Riley writing about it and vaguely remember the areas adjacent the beach being mentioned. Not exactly sure of location and haven't done it myself - yet - but might try this year :D
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Mark Tutton wrote:I know Cryptic Wood White is found close to Rosslare harbour so it apparently can be seen if you take the ferry from Fishguard as a foot passenger - I seem to rember Adrian Riley writing about it and vaguely remember the areas adjacent the beach being mentioned. Not exactly sure of location and haven't done it myself - yet - but might try this year :D
Kind Regards
Mark
Thanks Mark, I've heard about this colony before. A friend from work has actually offered to help me and we're going on a long weekend driving holiday type of thing so I'm not too constrained by locations, just need to figure out the best sites and book somewhere to stay.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

bugboy wrote:Thanks for the help everyone, plans are starting to slowly coalesce.

Another question I have, whilst hunting for Wood Whites of the Cryptic variety in Ireland I'd like to take in some Irish Marsh Fritillaries, is anyone familiar enough with Irish sites, either side of the border, that would be good for both these species?

I don't know how strong the populations of either species are in south east Ireland. If it were me, I'd visit Northern Ireland, going to Craigavon Lakes for CWW and Murlough NNR for Marsh Frit. And you won't need to change currency or drive in km/hour :)

Cheers,

- Pete
owenfiggis

Post by owenfiggis »

Pete Eeles wrote:
bugboy wrote:Thanks for the help everyone, plans are starting to slowly coalesce.

I don't know how strong the populations of either species are in south east Ireland. If it were me, I'd visit Northern Ireland, going to Craigavon Lakes for CWW and Murlough NNR for Marsh Frit. And you won't need to change currency or drive in km/hour :)

Cheers,

- Pete
When I visited Murlough I saw Wood Whites. If you timed it right you might see both species there.

Owen

Return to “Sites”