Purple Hairstreak – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 13 – And so we come to the final posting of this series...for 2017 :wink: Happy New Year everyone, may 2018 be a better butterfly year all round :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Purple Hairstreak – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by bugboy »

I have a feeling this thread my be longer than usual after their spectacular season in 2017. My encounter came two days after my memorable Emperor encounter. I'd gone back to Bookham for more of the same but this little chap stole the show for me, the Emperors I did see this day were very much playing second fiddle! He was very well behaved and I managed a few hundred images from every conceivable angle :lol:
Purple Hairstreak male, Bookham Commons #1.JPG
Purple Hairstreak male, Bookham Commons #2.JPG
Purple Hairstreak male, Bookham Commons #3.JPG
Added to that I managed to locate a wild larvae from an egg I'd found over the winter :D
Purple Hairstreak larvae, Bookham Commons #1.JPG
Last edited by bugboy on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

The Purple Hairstreak is one of my favourite species and I spent a lot of time seeking it out in East Sussex where it had a prolific emergence in 2017.
The first two photographs are of two different freshly emerged males. The next photograph is of a female waiting in line at the dinner queue while an Acorn Weevil has its fill at a developing acorn.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
(01) Purple Hairstreak (m) 26.6.17 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
(02) Purple Hairstreak (m) 27.6.17 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
(03) Purple Hairstreak (f) (at acorn bud with acorn weevil) 9.7.17 East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

It's very pleasing to know that many folks saw this species in good numbers in 2017. I personally didn't observe any on home soil, but increased local knowledge in the French Alps got me an audience (or three) on the continent:
5.PurpleHstk(1).jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Having scored a full threesome last week, I've a complete blank this time. Well, I did get one distant snap of a Purple Hairstreak, a long way up a tree, and 3/4 hidden behind a leaf, and far too embarrassing to call a 'favourite'.... Splendid photos from Bugboy, though :)

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:My encounter came two days after my memorable Emperor encounter. I'd gone back to Bookham for more of the same but this little chap stole the show for me, the Emperors I did see this day were very much playing second fiddle! He was very well behaved and I managed a few hundred images from every conceivable angle...
That open wing underside shot of this species is unique in my experience, Bugboy. You did fantastically well to observe (and photograph) that!

There is much about the Purple Hairstreak that we still don't know.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Bugboy! I think your open wing shot is brilliant ! :D
I saw my Purple Hair Streak in East Blean Woods on the 17th July about tea time, I was so pleased to see it after numerous journeys there in the past with out luck. Sadly no shots of the Emperor this year, although I did see it high in the tree's at Fermyn Woods. I hope for better this year :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_4638.jpg
fullsizeoutput_7162.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7d77.jpeg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Excellent photos above. I cannot match that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am still nonetheless happy with this individual that decided to descend to camera level on 16 June, in the South of France :
quercus2 male Vernègues_13 16Jun17 (30).JPG
Chris
IanGD

Post by IanGD »

This had to be my favourite because it is the first upper-wing photo of this species that I have ever managed to get. It was taken in Bradfield Woods, Suffolk in late June.
IMGB3131_edited-6.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Unfortunately I missed out on the open wing shots many others achieved - mostly by poor observation on my part, as on three separate occasions I disturbed individuals sunning themselves before I had noticed they were there. However, on an expedition to Bookham on 7th July aimed partly at this very butterfly, I managed right at the end to find one nectaring on a thistle. I had just disturbed another one (which escaped to the trees) and was still cursing when I spotted its companion.
PH1 070717.JPG
A few weeks later (1st August), I was back down there with Bugboy, and while searching for Brown Hairstreaks we accidentally came across a Purple one slurping away on a blackberry.
PH1 010817.JPG
It then retreated a bit higher up
PH2 010817.JPG
Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Like so many UKBR,S I was lucky enough to find many accessible Purple hairstreaks in 2017 ,I wonder why such large numbers were seen so low down,i don,t recall another season quite like it ! I took dozens of pictures ,a case of making hay while the sun shines,most were rubbish
but I,ve posted three ,that I was happy with,the first a very trusting individual which took absolutely no notice of me,but was lost and almost seemed drunk ,feeding from partially formed Acorns,which I noticed many times,even when bramble blossom was readily available and massed around their Oaks they still preferred the Acorns !It will be interesting to see if we have another Purple Hairstreak year in 2018. Regards Allan.W.
P1140279.JPG
P1140261.JPG
P1140232.JPG
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Some very nice pics guys. All of mine were taken between 21st June and 8th July at Woodwalton Fen, Cambs. As Allan has said unprecedented numbers down low, it was a lovely few weeks
Purple Hairstreak 0085.jpg
Purple hairstreak 0114.jpg
Purple Hairstreak 0222.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Purple Hairstreak

This was a cracking year for Purple Hairstreak as they started coming down fairly regularly and there have been some stunning images of this species from 2017.
My personal favourite came from an amazing day with my girls at Bentley Wood. I only got a smattering of shots but these came after only being on site for 5 minutes and so led me to hold high expectations for the trip – which were more than met!
DSC_0249 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Purple Hairstreak”