Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo 2016

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 13

Happy New Year! Hopefully it will a much better one for butterflies than 2016...

I'm looking forward to seeing these shots as despite seeing at fair few myself this year I was unable to get any photographs - no joggers to blame this time just the butterflies behaviour :(

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos - just to make it easier to organise and keep everything on track so that we can enjoy this throughout the winter months? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo 2016

Post by bugboy »

Unlike last year I only managed a couple of distant record shots of a live animal this year but whilst searching for their Black cousins at Monks Wood I did find a dead female stuck in a spiders web on a blade of grass.
Purple Hairstreak female in spider web, Monks Wood #3.JPG
Purple Hairstreak female in spider web, Monks Wood #6.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

I spent a few early mornings in 2016 watching Purple Hairstreaks come down to ground level and these two females are my favourites.
Attachments
Purple Hairstreak (f) 14.7.16 East Sussex. Downland boy.JPG
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
millerd

Post by millerd »

Getting a reasonable upperside shot of this species from nearer than 30 metres away is still an unfulfilled ambition. At Black Park in Buckinghamshire on 3rd July I disturbed an individual from near the ground, only to watch it fly up to a spot directly above me and tantalisingly too high to get any kind of shot except from below... and through the leaf. Close - but no banana. :)
PH2 030716.JPG
PH1 030716.JPG
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Again on the same day has I took shots of the PE in Ferymn Woods 17th July, I was lucky enough to get shots of this beautiful Purple Hair Streak that the people surrounding it said had not long been out, also on my way back I got a shot of a second one, what a great day that was, I'm certainly hoping to go back to Ferymn this year. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_5040.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_503c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5041.jpeg
celery

Post by celery »

:oops: Apologies for the lateness of post... Christmas and all that...

Again, I'm resorting to posting pics taken in France. This rather battered individual descended each morning to the gravel driveway of the gîte where I was staying in Dordogne in mid-September.
Purple Hairstreak (Neozephyrus quercus).jpg
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
David M

Post by David M »

I only saw this species on two occasions in 2016, both whilst at the Brown Hairstreak site in Pembrokeshire. As ever, images were nigh impossible as the insects remained perched in the trees:
1PH3(1).jpg

Return to “Purple Hairstreak”