Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 12 - The final week of 2014

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Goldie M »

My faourite photo's were taken at Arnside Knot on the 15th August they were the first shots I'd taken for a couple of years so I was very pleased to see them Goldie :D
Attachments
Painted lady ASK 15th August 2014 IMG_7476.JPG
Painted Lady ASK 15th August 2014 IMG_7482.JPG
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I saw Painted Ladies this year in the Marseilles area, on and off during the season, from the beginning of March into November.
This courageous individual was seen in September.
cardui8_13 Marseilles urbain 7 Sept 2014.JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Definitely fewer than 10 seen this year (including the paltry ONE seen in the French Alps in early July).

My first was right outside my front door on 7th June. I was off out to explore Fairwood Common for Marsh & Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries when I saw this specimen merrily nectaring away:
1PL(1).jpg
I remember seeing another at Daneway Banks but apart from that, the only others I can recall were later in the summer and appeared as singletons at local sites. The most surprising of these sightings was the individual seen on 30th November at Bracelet Bay, near Mumbles Head, Gower:
1PL(1).jpg
I hope 2015 sees a more serious influx of this species.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, the bumper year of 2009 is still the last time there have been any appreciable numbers of this species about. I have only seen a handful in 2014; the best encounter was at Denbies on 7th September when this dusky specimen stayed around for some while at the top of Steers Field.
PL1 070914.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Painted Lady – Collard 22-06

When it came to choosing my favourite Painted Lady shot of 2014 I didn’t have much to choose from. In all I saw them at four sites and was able to get photos at only two of these. This was my favourite (and is from Collard Hill) more because of how it was taken than the actual shot.
There was a throng of people around the only Large Blue and I was awaiting my opportunity to slip back in and get some more shots when a movement on some nearby Bramble caught my eye. It was this Painted Lady - my second sighting of the year and I managed a few shots before working my way back into the photography circle radiating around the Large Blue.
Painted Lady.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

I live in Surrey. It is not close to the sea and I didn't have a confirmed sighting of single Painted Lady Butterfly this year.
I thought that maybe I just didn't have my eyes trained hard enough on the Buddleja, Buddleia (also historically given as Buddlea) commonly known as the butterfly bush. (Now more recently available in dwarf form). :)
Looking at the above comments I now realise that there were not that many Painted Lady Butterflies to be seen in several areas. I really like your first picture, David M.
Best Wishes,
Philip
Kind Regards,
kevling

Post by kevling »

As beautiful as the Painted Lady is, I though I would share a couple of photos from a different angle. Taken in my garden, having a game of peek-a-boo.
Painted Lady 1.jpg
Painted Lady 2.jpg
Regards Kev

Return to “Painted Lady”