Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

Painted Lady
I couldn’t decide on which of my Painted Lady shots was my favourite. In the end I managed to whittle it down to two but cold go no further. I only saw two definitely confirmable Painted Ladies this year in late August and both faves are of the same butterfly. I’d headed to Five Rivers with the express purpose of finding a Painted Lady and so I visited the large Buddleia bush first because of this. It was as usual proving to be a butterfly magnet with four Meadow Browns, a Green Veined White, two Small Tortoiseshells , four Red Admirals and a single Peacock all present on the one bush. A butterfly landed and looked pale-ish orange and then started feeding on a floret. It worked its way round and fed all over the floret spiralling head first down. Once completed it moved to the next and then started its spiral descent again.
The reason I chose these two shots is because they are the closest I’ve come to getting a closed wing and “stained glass window” shot.
Painted Lady 1.JPG
Painted Lady 2 (2).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

The undersides of this species are very attractive, as Wurzel's image portrays.

I've opted for an upperside shot though, taken at West Williamston in August, of an individual displaying unusually bold blue hindwing spots:

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 10 September 2012

Vanessids …
UKBP1110972.JPG
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5432&start=540#p65230
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Painted Lady were few and far between this year so both these 2 were from 2011. The underside was at Rowland Wood with the top side being 4th July at Whitbarrow in Cumbria, a few hours before the Northern Brown Argus favourite was taken.
Attachments
DSC_0549 (800x531).jpg
DSC_1779 (800x532).jpg
CFB

Post by CFB »

Two photos of the same Painted Lady:
IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG
--
Colin
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Painted Lady 8th August 2012, Hampshire.
Attachments
Painted Lady A.jpg
Painted Lady WinA.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This rather battered individual was basking on the old stone steps into the main entrance of Whitby Abbey, North Yorkshire.
Whitby, N.Yorks - 24th June 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 18-70 lens - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
Whitby, N.Yorks - 24th June 2012
Nikon D300s with 18-70 lens - 1/500s@f/11 ISO400
Mike
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw a single faded Painted Lady at Babbs Mill when I went to check this site out for the first time with my son Chris back in June. I remember it being a pretty dull and windy day and the Painted Lady was the only butterfly that we saw.

For most of the summer this remained the only example that I saw until my week in Dorset when I saw a few more.
There were a couple in Lulworth and up on Bindon Hill but the most on one day was 5/6 amongst the masses of Red Admirals that I saw at Studland.

Photos below are all of the same individual at Studland, this one stayed around the same clumps of heather for quite some time whilst the others that I saw were more flighty in the heat of the afternoon.
Painted Lady - Studland 03.09.2012
Cheers,

Neil F.
millerd

Post by millerd »

This is an easy choice - I only saw the one butterfly all year. Interestingly, it was from the same location (Studland) as Neil's above, but a couple of days earlier on 1st September.

A bit of distracting vegetation has been "removed" from this image: I don't usuaully do this (not being very good at it), but this one seems ok.

Dave
Attachments
PL1a resized.JPG
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Loads of Painted Ladies in the Malaga area this week - could this be signs that numbers will be better in 2013?

Return to “Painted Lady”