Northern Brown Argus – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 11 – There is a slightly Northern feel this week (well 2/3's anyway) as time races on :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Re: Northern Brown Argus – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by David M »

Didn't see this species in the UK in 2017, but there were plenty of Mountain Argus about in my two-week spell in the French Alps in early July:
2.MountainArgus(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Another 2017 lifer that almost didn't happen, my week in Scotland specifically to see them was plagued by torrential rain, the only break was a single dreary grey day. Thankfully I had the help of Iain Cowe, the local borders expert, and I managed to tick of the final Lycid on my UK list.
Northern Brown Argus, Burnmouth #1.JPG
Northern Brown Argus, Burnmouth #2.JPG
As if to prove his mastery over the species a disturbed one decided Iain's head was the perfect spot to take a rest :)
Northern Brown Argus, Burnmouth.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Good for you and your perseverance, Bugboy.

This is the last British species I've truly got left to see (salmacis in the Lake District doesn't really tick the boxes) and it's good to see that you tapped into the local knowledge of Iain, who has to be one of the most generous of UKB members.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Thankfully I had the help of Iain Cowe, the local borders expert, and I managed to tick of the final Lycid on my UK list.
To my great relief Bugboy :D I must admit to be being so downhearted that you did not get to see this species in all of its glory. I am as I said, very glad at least you did not go home empty handed. It was an on and off season for the NBA across the Scottish Borders as the weather just never settled for any length of time. I found a new colony further north on the Berwickshire coast, one that should not have been previously missed as it was extensive, unfortunately though, once again, the weather suppressed any great amounts of activity, and once again I had to resort to flushing tactics to find anything. At Burnmouth the Northern Brown Argus never really exceeded a dozen individuals at a time throughout the season, though I do have more hope for next season as the vegetation recovers from a 3 year period after an extremely high Rabbit population had grazed the slopes to dust. The Rabbits don't touch the Rockrose much, though exposing the Rockrose changes that microclimate the females find attractive for egg laying, so..the females tend to disperse further afield when there is any grazing pressure above a certain threshold.
We are attempting to update and map the current status of the species in the Scottish Borders starting next year. We may well have some of the best colonies in the UK within the Scottish Borders, but our recent picture of the situation as a whole is foggy. Looking at the historical data it will be a monumental task as the Scottish Borders is quite a large region. Away from the coastal strip, that is unsurprisingly the better recorded, the number of sites to visit are almost infinite. :shock:

Here are a few from 2017, all from that patch at Burnmouth overlooking the harbour.

Thank you David :) It's your turn next to get up here and see them.
Attachments
IMG_0001_2.jpg
IMG_0001_1.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

IAC wrote:
Thankfully I had the help of Iain Cowe, the local borders expert, and I managed to tick of the final Lycid on my UK list.
To my great relief Bugboy :D I must admit to be being so downhearted that you did not get to see this species in all of its glory.
It just gives me something to look forward too next time I visit that part of the world Iain :), and that first image is to die for btw!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

IAC wrote:Thank you David :) It's your turn next to get up here and see them.
They're STILL on my radar, Iain. Trust me!

All it will take is a warm, dry spell in mid-June for me to decamp to your delightful part of this island!

Return to “Northern Brown Argus”