Mountain Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Mountain Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
MikeOxon

Re: Mountain Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by MikeOxon »

This Spring I was keen to get some digital photos of Mountain Ringlet, to update my older film images. These had been taken in the Langdales, on the flanks of Harrison Stickle, and at Grey Knotts, above Honister Pass. Unfortunately, the weather in the Lake District was not looking good this year but I spotted a possible weather window and drove straight up to Irton Fell, as the most accessible colony. When I arrived on the fell, it was cloudy but looking bright out to sea. Within an hour, the sun broke through and, suddenly, there were the Mountain Ringlets, arising magically from the grass :) I was especially pleased when a few started to bask on the bracken, as I had never been able to observe this species so well before.
Irton Fell, Cumbria - 17th June 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/750s@f/6.7 ISO720
Irton Fell, Cumbria - 17th June 2012
Nikon D300s with 300/4 + 1.4X TC - 1/750s@f/6.7 ISO720
Mike
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

My only experience of Mountain Ringlet was in Langdale last year. As with most people the surprise was the size of them, so much smaller than expected. After a tough climb up the mountain around 10 were seen.
Attachments
DSC_0429 (800x543).jpg
DSC_0409 (800x531).jpg
nomad

Post by nomad »

I spent five days looking for this lovely little butterfly in some of the wettest weather, the Lake District has experienced. Because of the rain, I managed to find the Mountain Ringlet in one area only. This was below the Grey Knotts-Brandreth ridge. I managed to get a few hours of a weather window before the mist and rain swept in. My favourite image is our only alpine butterfly basking on Alpine Lady's Mantle. My visit was in late June 2012. Peter.
Mountain Ringlet resting on Alpine Lady's Mantle.
Mountain Ringlet resting on Alpine Lady's Mantle.
704.JPG (103.96 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
Male resting.
Male resting.
Female on bilberry, Grey Knotts
Female on bilberry, Grey Knotts
700.JPG (80.56 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
female on boulder, Grey Knotts.
female on boulder, Grey Knotts.
Freshly emerged male near the summit of Brandreth.
Freshly emerged male near the summit of Brandreth.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

My only experience of them was way back in 1976. Perhaps one more opportunity in 2013.

I am not as mobile as I was (now in my 75th year) so I wonder where In Scotland I might be able to see them with the easiest climb from where I am able to park? Ben Lawers perhaps?

Any better suggestions?

Jack
nomad

Post by nomad »

Hi Jack

I think Ben Lawers may be your best bet. I have seen them there, but I was on the way up the cliffs to photograph rare Alpines at the time. I plan to return there and look for Mountain Ringlets. Park by the visitor centre and follow the circular nature trail. Look on the south-facing grassy slopes at the top of this path. If you choose the right time and weather you may see them there. This species is found elsewhere in the Breadalbane Hills. Quite a few years ago, I was wandering on the hills above nearby Glen Lochay when I came across a large colony of pristine adults, but again to my regret, I was more interested in botany at the time. Hope this helps, Peter.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

nomad:
I think Ben Lawers may be your best bet
Ah good! But it almost looks from the map that a bit further up past Lochan na Lairige at for example NN583417, the road climbs to almost 600 metres/2000 feet. I recall reading that Mountain Ringlet can be found virtually on a roadside somewhere in that general area but can't remember exactly where; maybe this is the spot.

I love this word Breadalbane (meaning the Upper part of Alba). I live in a Breadalbane Street. There is also a Breadalbane Street in Oban and doubtless other places as well.

Jack
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hiya Jack,

I remember putting you onto the "reservoir site" via this website in 2010. There's a parking area at the entrance to the dam and Mountain Ringlets can be seen from the roadside. I have to admit that I still need Mountain Ringlet (last resident to fall, grrrrrrr!) but the area is much easier to access than the circular path from the visitor centre which, although not maddeningly steep, does rise at a fairly unfriendly rate for anybody with mobility issues. I'd try the road by the reservoir first, could save you a lot of huffing and puffing. Botanically the route from the visitor centre is far superior though.

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Thanks Seth. So it was you who put me on to that site. I just couldn't remember the details.

So as Mountain Ringlet would be the final tick, why not meet at the dam car park on Saturday 29th June or the following Saturday, 6th July? The weather forecast for both days is good:

29th June: Sunny periods, 5% chance of a shower, maximum temperature 15 degrees

6th July: Just a few sunny intervals, 20% chance of a shower late in day, max temp 16 degrees

Wouldn't it be good if I could issue genuine and accurate long range forecasts like that? I would be a multi-millionaire by now (but I'm getting there: I did win a huge £25 on Premium Bonds earlier this month).

Jack

Return to “Mountain Ringlet”