Story of a moth !

Discussion forum for sightings.
Allan.W.

Story of a moth !

Post by Allan.W. »

Back in August ,Lynne was tidying in our kitchen,and she asked me to have a look at something she,d found there ,underneath a microwave raised tray (which is rarely used ) a caterpillar had crawled and suspended itself in a cocoon on the underside of the framework,at first I was just going to remove it carefully and put it somewhere safe ,and out of the way in the garden ,but changed my mind and boxed it to see what occurred,well yesterday it emerged ,and when I first saw it,i thought it must be a Silver -Y. moth (Autographa Gramma )
but something didn,t look quite right ! looked through a couple of field guides and came to the conclusion that it could be the quite scarce ( About
50-60 ish records ) Dewicks Plusia (Maccdunnoughia confuse ) ,sent a photo to one of our local experts ,and he also came to the same conclusion. I reckon it must have found its way indoors via some cut flowers bought locally ,or possibly from our garden which contains at least two of its known foodplants ie; Bladder Campion
and Yarrow. Looking through (the classic !) Bernard Skinners moths of the British Isles, it has actually been recorded in Ashford Kent ,at least twice before in 1954 and 1992.
Regards Allan.W.
P1200439.JPG
P1200430.JPG
P1200450.JPG
Tony Moore

Re: Story of a moth !

Post by Tony Moore »

Fascinating stuff - what a find!

Tony M.
David M

Post by David M »

What a find and what a beautiful insect, Allan.

Thanks for sharing.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a lovely specimen, Allan - quite beautiful fresh from the pupa. :)

As a matter of interest, I chanced upon one of these moths at Bookham Commons in September, and reported it to the Surrey moth recorder (Graham Collins). I also initially thought it to be a Silver-Y. /download/file.php?id=112715&mode=view

In his reply, he said:

"...Although formerly an occasional vagrant it has become more regular as an immigrant in recent years. It was also, and may still be, breeding in the Mitcham area - not that close to Bookham but still a possible source..."

Another invader from the Continent starting to settle here?

Dave
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Great present for you- lovely moth. I've only seen one which was trapped at the London Wetland Centre.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,
Thanks for all your comments,a fluke discovery but very pleased nonetheless ! I agree with the more regular immigrant theory,and mine was obviously from eggs laid nearby, unfortunately its wings never did extend quite properly for one reason or another ,but it did manage to fly off eventually last evening . I know that at least one or two were recorded at Rye harbour NNR a year or two back and possibly Dungeness as well.
Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Dave ,
Just had a look at the pic you sent me ,great shot ! unfortunately my specimen never attained the "smooth" finish of yours ,for some reason,
and I was very careful with it,but as I,ve said it did manage to fly off .
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Sightings”