June 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
peterc

Re: June 2017

Post by peterc »

Purple Emperors for me too but in the most unexpected places. Bob and I went over to Hatfield Forest this morning targeting the PE on the oak tops but nothing until around 12:30 when a male was spotted taking resin from a post about a foot off the ground. Half an hour later we saw another one (or is it the same individual?) taking sap from a pine tree. Perhaps this is a fresh specimen (if just the one) which emerged this morning considering the heat when you would expect it to be fighting it out with other males in the oak canopy :) .

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Purple Emperor on pine Hatfield Forest 21Jun17
Purple Emperor on post Hatfield Forest 21Jun17
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good grief, Buggy, what on earth did you have on your fingers?! :o :wink:

Dave
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Emperors have been scarce at Alice Holt with just the odd one or two showing during the day - probably due to the heat I guess - so I paid and evening visit which paid off. I had three grounded males between 6:15 and 7:15 and half a dozen were oak edging looking for females.
Kind Regards
Mark
Purple or Blue?
Purple or Blue?
Underside
Underside
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

46 Large Heaths seen in an hour and a half spent at the Cors Caron reserve, in mid Wales, which is the UK's most southerly site for this species.

The hot conditions meant few were prepared to take a break from their constant flying though:
1LgeHeath1(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a quick ,after work visit to my local wood,hoping to re-find yesterdays possible "Black" (or very nearly !),White Admiral,
unfortunately,i was swamped by two "friendly" Alsatians,and lost the plot still managed to find 5 White Ads; and two late first brood,battle scarred Common Blue survivors,some cracking Ringlets ,and a fresh nicely marked Small Tort Regards Allan.W.

P1130469.JPG
P1130479.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote:Good grief, Buggy, what on earth did you have on your fingers?! :o :wink:

Dave
Just 'essence of Bugboy' Dave :lol: I was the official Purple Emperor wrangler amongst the group of 5 enjoying this ones attendence :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Hi, Gang
Update from Bugalert:

Grayling now on the wing in Devon and Yorkshire.

Happy hunting,
Adrian Riley
adrian riley

Post by adrian riley »

Hi, Gang

Update from Bugalert:

Grayling now on the wing in Scotland
Camberwell Beauty, Norfolk; Bedfordshire
Chalkhill Blue, Bedfordshire

For details go to www.bugalert.net.

Happy hunting, Adrian.
peterc

Post by peterc »

Hi Adrian,

I was just wondering if the Chalkhill Blue sighting you mentioned was from Therfield Heath?

ATB

Peter
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nairnshire 25June. Ringlets now out, so far males only.

Jack
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Bernwood Forest (Oxon/Bucks) yesterday - abundance of Ringlets, Large Skippers; Silver-washed Fritillary in good numbers but never stopping; 1-2 White Admiral; I disturbed what was almost certainly a Purple Emperor, but it flew high over the sallow and I never saw it again.
Dsc00686.jpg
Dsc00706.jpg
Dsc00718.jpg
Dsc00722.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

60-80 Dark Green/High Brown Fritillaries seen at the Alun Valley site in Glamorgan between 3.15 and 6.00pm today.

A walk through the bracken cover would seen individuals spring up every few steps. In spite of the cloudy weather, they were still very active, although a few were taking nectar on occasion:

High Brown male
1HBFmale(1).jpg
Dark Green male
1DGF2(1).jpg
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

Purple Hairstreak (female, ab.flavimaculatus) in East Sussex on 26.6.17. Downland boy. http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
P14307230001.JPG
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

I'm surprised I'm not seeing any mention of sightings of Peacocks. i have been seeing newly minted Peacocks since 22 June. Interestingly I have not seen any feeding. On the contrary males have been holding territories just like hibernated Peacocks or hutchinsoni Commas. I look forward to a second generation in due course.

This one was in Boscombe Chine gardens on the 22nd.
Aglais-io_OM0174.jpg
[attachment=0]
P.J.Underwood

A Ringlet without rings

Post by P.J.Underwood »

This was seen in Oaken Wood recently and the only aberrations I can find still have a few rings.This one has none.Is this a common feature?
P.J.Underwood
Attachments
Ringlet without rings
Ringlet without rings
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

P.J.Underwood wrote:This was seen in Oaken Wood recently and the only aberrations I can find still have a few rings. This one has none. Is this a common feature?
Hi Philip.

This is ab. arete (Muller, 1764). It is a fairly common aberration but a nice find nonetheless.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi David,

I visited the Alun Valley site on Sunday afternoon (25th June) - I had originally intended to visit England on Sunday - but the weather was really changeable, and it looked from the weather maps like the worst of the wind and rain had already cleared Cardiff on the western side.

It was still very windy at Ewenny, but there were still quite a few High Brown and Dark Green Fritillaries though confirming ID's was quite difficult as they weren't stopping for long. There was still one Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary but the most frequent butterflies were the Ringlets and there were quite a few Red Admirals (who seem to be doing well in my own patch in St Mellons as well). There were also plenty of Large Skippers and some Commas at the Alun Valley site and also quite a few large Dragonflies (Golden-Ringed Dragonfly and Broad-Bodied Chaser I believe). Thank God a lot of clearing has been done as otherwise I wouldn't have got across the site (even though at the top the bracken and brambles are taking over quite quickly). My legs were still a bit bruised and battered from the walk along the top ridge.

I kept meaning to go back to Aberbargoed Grasslands to catch up on the Marsh Fritillaries as I haven't visited that reserve since early on this month. I guess I might be too late now. I don't know if you've visited that site much this month?

Michael
High Brown Fritillary sheltering from the breeze
High Brown Fritillary sheltering from the breeze
One of the many Red Admirals at the Alun valley site
One of the many Red Admirals at the Alun valley site
one of several Golden-Ringed Dragonfly at the Alun valley site
one of several Golden-Ringed Dragonfly at the Alun valley site
Marsh Fritillary at Aberbargoed Grasslands earlier in the month
Marsh Fritillary at Aberbargoed Grasslands earlier in the month
jenks

Post by jenks »

I paid a quick visit to Forest Farm meadow, Cardiff this morning. This was the site where, back in July 2010, a colony of White letter Hairstreak were found and is known to DavidM, Michaeljf and the late and much missed Willrow. I wasn`t exactly dressed for a butterfly search as I`d just come from a funeral ( my 3rd this month, have I said or done something ?), and still had on my funeral suit, white shirt and black tie, with no bins or camera with me. However, I was in luck. Despite the weather being overcast and cloudy with a temperature of 17c l found 2 White letter H`streaks nectaring on one of the large bramble patches in the middle of the meadow. I`ve not had any successful sightings here since 2011 so I was really pleased to find that they`re still here. It lifted my mood considerably.

Jenks.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Jenks,

that's great news. I did visit the Forest Farm meadows about 2 weeks back (in the middle of the hot weather spell) and there was no sign of any WL Hairstreaks though there were good numbers of Red Admiral, Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Large Skippers (and Burnet Moths) in the two fields closest to Whitchurch hospital. Admittedly the young trees and bramble growth in the first field is a little 'out of control' and the spots we used to see the WL Hairstreaks in the first field aren't really so accessible. Now you've seen two I might go for another visit this weekend. Yes - I often think of Bill (Willrow) when I'm out at these places, god bless him.
Best wishes

Michael
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Michael,

Good to see you posting reports again :D

I cannot believe that it is 6 years ago since I met yourself and Bill in Oversley Wood...I was very sad to hear of his recent passing.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Sightings”