May 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

May 2017

Post by David M »

Off to a dry and settled start, by all accounts.

Make the most of it!
David M

Re: May 2017

Post by David M »

Three Green Hairstreaks seen at Welshmoor, on the Gower, this afternoon. Other species seen in generally overcast conditions were Red Admiral (2), Large White (1), Orange Tip (1), probable Green Veined White (1) and an airborne Holly Blue whilst driving home!
1GHb(1).jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

1st May - finally north Scotland.

Loch Spynie area (that's inland from Lossiemouth)
Peacock x 5
Tortoiseshell x 1
Speckled Wood x 1
Green-veined White x 4

Own garden later Peacock x 1

Jack
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I have spent the last two weeks trudging around the Chiddingfold Forest,both on my own and with the new recorder who lives near me in Chiddingfold.We have seen few butterflies due to the cold weather.A few Green Veined Whites,Speckled Wood,and the odd Peacock,Red Admiral,Brimstone and Holly Blue.However the nightingales have been magnificent.Despite intensive searching we have been unable to find any Wood Whites,despite being aware of Lee Hurrell's sighting.
So on Sunday we ventured further afield to Rewells Wood.I had not been there for three years and was amazed to see all the coppicing that had taken place.It was 14 degrees ,overcast and windy.The sun managed to come out for 5 mins and during that time 2 P.B.'s appeared and I had my first photo of the season.
The weather has become warmer this evening so perhaps Wood Whites tomorrow?
P.J.Underwood
Attachments
A Pearl Bordered Fritillary.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

P.J.Underwood was
amazed to see all the coppicing that had taken place {in Rewell Wood].
Largely initiated by Neil Hulme: Fritillaries for the Future. I saw just a single PB Frit there when with Neil (on a visit south) on 23 April.

Jack
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

With all the clearing that the new team is doing in Oaken Wood it would be nice if the P.B.'s could come back there.
P.J.U.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I managed to fit in a visit (21st April) to Oaken Wood during my trip south and was most impressed by the management that had been carried out. Further on near the Tugley Wood "triangle" there were as many as perhaps eight singing Nightingales.

Jack
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

I was right.A nice sunny day and 16 degrees Centigrade.Many butterflies were about and then I saw my first Wood White-in the centre..Many more should start emerging now.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Wood White
Wood White
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Whilst out checking on larval webs in the local area (most of which so far are Small Tortoiseshell) I found an egg-laying Peacock.
Egg-laying Peacock - Crawley, Sussex 2-May-2017
Egg-laying Peacock - Crawley, Sussex 2-May-2017
Peacock eggs - Crawley, Sussex 2-May-2017
Peacock eggs - Crawley, Sussex 2-May-2017
Vince
David M

Post by David M »

Early morning clouds lifted by 11.30am and visits to both Crymlyn Burrows and Kilvey Hill realised the following:

Orange Tip (10-15), Speckled Wood (10-15), Large White (8-12), Green Veined White (4), Small White (3), Holly Blue (3) and Peacock (1).

Best of all though, were the two male Wall Browns found in the grassland three quarters of the way up Kilvey Hill:
1Wall1(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Visited one or two of the smaller local Duke sites,here in Kent today,although my hopes weren,t high ,as this particular colony over the past season
or two seems to be struggling ,and after looking for about 35-40 minutes I,d only had one possible fly -by, moving down to a less familiar path,i was rewarded almost immediately with a fine fresh male,and over the next 45 minutes I added another 7,ranging from freshly emerged to the male pictured . I saw a minimum of seven ,possibly as many as nine. also found my first Green Hairs of the season ,always love finding these,also seen
2 Wall,6 Brimstone,2 Red Admiral,3 Dingy Skips, 1 Small Tort,2 Peacocks. All in all a very fruitful couple of hours . I,ve also posted a picture of my kitchen window ,you may find of interest,shows the feather dust imprint from a Woodpigeon that crashed into the window this morning.
Regards Allan.W.
P1100400.JPG
P1100390.JPG
P1100396.JPG
P1100411.JPG
P1100441.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

No luck at my Duke Site for Dukes and the cloud that arrived as I did didn't help either but I did see Small Tort, Red Admiral, Peacock, 2 Small Coppers, 4 Grizzlies, a Small Heath and a Brown Argus :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nairnshire and Moray since 1st May, GV Whites in large numbers. Along suitable roadsides one every 50-100 metres. Last year first brood was dismal and numbers only picked up in the summer brood but nothing like the present abundance. A scattering of Orange Tips along the woodland edge, quite early compared with 2016.

Jack
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Vince Massimo wrote:Whilst out checking on larval webs in the local area (most of which so far are Small Tortoiseshell) I found an egg-laying Peacock.

IMG_2298-01G.jpg
IMG_2323-02G.jpg

Vince
I am VERY impressed, Vince; you seem to be a magnet for ovipositing Aglais :) And I've been looking in my local area for some time and have drawn a blank. My hat off to you!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks Pete, but this one was pure, blind luck. I was collecting a few nettle leaves for one of my rearing projects and found myself face to face with a Peacock :D . In my experience, egg-laying Peacocks are easier to find than Small Tortoiseshells, because they seem to make up their minds more quickly when it comes to selecting a suitable host plant.

Needless to say that this latest batch of eggs went on my list for follow-up visits.

Vince
Last edited by Vince Massimo on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Vince Massimo wrote:Needless to say that this latest batch of eggs went on my list for follow-up visits.
A VERY nice find nonetheless! I'm pleased to hear you'll be following up :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

First Small Blue today at Hutchinsons Bank.
Small Blue1.jpg
Small Blue2.jpg
Other Butterflies, Dingy & Grizzled Skippers, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue, Small Copper, Red Admiral, Peacock, Comma, Orange Tip, Holly Blue.
millerd

Post by millerd »

First Adonis Blues flying at Denbies Hillside today.
AB1 060517.JPG
Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have the impression it's an early season. But what impact is the current shortage of rain going to have?

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:I have the impression it's an early season. But what impact is the current shortage of rain going to have?
A major one of things don't change pretty soon, Jack!

Even in Swansea, we've had precious little precipitation since the beginning of April. I daresay it's far worse in the 'drier' parts of the south and south east.

Looks like things may change somewhat by the end of next week though, with rain bearing fronts pushing in from the south west (which is the usual 'default' as you know).

Interestingly, I have been noticing that the western part of Scotland has been abnormally warm and dry lately. Will this be good or bad for emerging Chequered Skippers?

Return to “Sightings”