May 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: May 2017

Post by Jack Harrison »

Brimstone seen ovipositing on Dock
This suggests lines of investigation

Will larvae eat dock in captivity? Experiments needed.

If the use of dock as a possible alternative to usual foodplant buckthorn, then could Brimstone change to dock as a major foodplant?
(as parallel Comma changing from hop to nettle).
If that does happen with dock being ubiquitous in Britain, then presumably the Brimstone could rapidly colonise new areas?
(again as per Comma),

Jack
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Heard good things about Marsh Fritllaries at Chambers Farm Wood so took a trip up there yesterday and stumbled into a very large emergence! In just under one hour I counted 79 easily, could have been more but I was trying to be conservative and not get carried away. My first time seeing this butterfly so I feel totally spoiled! I would like to personally thank anyone involved in the conservation of this species at this site, as they are doing a simply marvellous job.
Marsh Frit side.JPG
Marsh Frit Open.JPG
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

Always a joy to see one of this fine moths in the garden most years.

Working on my car in yesterday's warm sunshine, this caught my eye in my garden :~

View My Video

Apologies for image quality. I quickly grabbed my Canon Compact, switched on and set full zoom hand held. The Moth had obviously had its fill and when it flew away, it did so at great speed up and over the roof of the house ... very rapid flight and good to see if only briefly.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
EricY

Common blue with black spots on wings

Post by EricY »

Photographed this Common Blue today that has dark/black spots on wings, the wing veins also seem quite prominent. Looking through the Abs I can see no others like it. Taken @ Cranwich camp NWT reserve this afternoon. Very hot & butterfly would not fully open wings. Eric
P1760285 Common Blue with black spots on wings.jpg
Eric
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hi Eric - what you can see are the dark spots on the underside showing through. This isn't unusual with Common Blues as the upperside scales don't seem to block the light as much as, say, they do with an Adonis Blue.

Dave
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Went to Strumpshaw fen today in Norfolk and was overjoyed to see 5 pristine swallowtails. They were very active but came back to the same spots and almost landed on me a few times. I forget every year how beautiful their flight is, they glide so effortlessly! Took a ton of photos, but this one sums up the day pretty much. I also saw 6 Red Amirals, 7 Brimstones, 1 very tatty Green Hairstreak, 2 Large Whites, 3 Orange Tips, 3 Small Torts and 4 Peacocks.

Christian
Attachments
swallowtail.jpg
James M

Post by James M »

First Painted Lady of the year at RSPB Dove Stone today!
peterc

Post by peterc »

An excellent day at Bison Hill with unbroken sunshine. In the sheltered parts mostly on or by the footpath leading to the cafe my friend, Bob, and I recorded 17 species: 40+ Brown Argus, 30+ Small Heath, 30+ Dingy Skipper, 20+ Brimstone, 20+ Common Blue, 10+ Green Hairstreak, 10+ Duke of Burgundy, 4 Peacock, 3 Grizzled Skipper, 3 Speckled Wood, 3 Red Admiral, 2 Orange Tip, 2 Small White, 1 Large White, 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Holly Blue and 1 Small Copper. It has been several years since I've seen so many Brown Argus and Small Heath on a single visit anywhere. The Dukes are beginning to look faded now but many Brown Argus were fresh and quite a few of them were courting pairs including one swirling around over a flowerhead - photo below. We were however a little disappointed not to see more Grizzled Skipper - perhaps late in the season for it now.

Shame about one Green Hairstreak which has lost part of its wings on one side.

ATB

Peter

Just updated post - forgot to add Speckled Wood so 17 species in all :)
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy Bison Hill 26May17
Dingy Skippers Bison Hill 26May17
Dingy Skippers Bison Hill 26May17
Green Hairstreak Bison Hill 26May17
Green Hairstreak Bison Hill 26May17
Small Heath Bison Hill 26May17
Small Heath Bison Hill 26May17
Brown Argus pair Bison Hill 26May17
Brown Argus pair Bison Hill 26May17
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Saturday 27th

Glanville Fritillary in the Big Scrape at Hutchinsons Bank, just emerged and still floppy. The numbers are still low at the moment, but they seem to be hatching a few each day now.
DSC02614c.JPG
DSC02618c.JPG
will let people know when its worth a trip from afar.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Large Skippers out on my local patch near Heathrow today (27th May). At least one male and one female.
LS3 270517.JPG
LS2 270517.JPG
Dave
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I was in Wiltshire today and at Bentley Wood this afternoon I met a very kind gentleman called Nick, from Loughborough. I was about to leave when he called me over to show me this Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary. I had seen one or two but had not managed a photo. We chatted for a quite a while.

So Nick, if you're reading, thanks again. Best wishes, Lee
Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, male, Bentley Wood, Wiltshire, 27th May 2017
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

An early start this morning ,on site ,at Crundale (near Wye, Kent) at 7am ,just as the Blues were starting to wake up,
a lot more female Adonis now on the wing,since last weekend when I could only find Two, the males were absolutely stunning in the early morning sun, but that said there were also some stunning male (and female ) Common Blues, these days ,I seem to see more "blue" type females and less of the "brown" type ,no idea why this is ? there were also lots of female Adonis of varying shades,which I,ve posted a few.
Regards Allan.W.
P1110974.JPG
P1110913.JPG
P1120010.JPG
P1120024.JPG
P1120078.JPG
Deborah

Swallowtails

Post by Deborah »

These were taken in my garden. I'm pleased to have so many different stages of Swallowtail caterpillar on one plant - there are eggs too but I couldn't get them in the photo! The butterfly was in my polytunnel - I don't know how to tell if it's a male or female?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

My first Large Skipper of the year yesterday in Wiltshire, and my first Meadow Brown today, in Surrey.

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
peterc

Post by peterc »

In the mostly cloudy conditions today I decided to look out for larvae on my local patch. I found what it might be a Red Admiral larval tent on a nettle bed - see photo - halfway down on the left and note what appears to be frass on the leaf above. Can someone confirm please. Also an Orange-tip larva on a Garlic Mustard plant.

ATB

Peter
Attachments
Red Admiral larval tent? Millennium Wood 30May17
Red Admiral larval tent? Millennium Wood 30May17
Orange-tip larva Shackledell 30May17
Orange-tip larva Shackledell 30May17
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

First Silver Studded Blues and Meadow Browns of the year in Sussex yesterday .
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

May summary Nairnshire and Moray.

it's been an excellent monthfor GV Whites and Orange Tips compared to last year. Indeed, GV Whites are as numerous as I have ever seen them anywhere in Britain. Fresh Red Admiral two days ago, presumably native born. Overwintering (as slow growing larvae?) is presumably a fairly new phenomenon in these parts. A few Peacocks, Tortoiseshells and Speckled Woods. One Small White (in garden).

Jack
peterc

Post by peterc »

MrSp0ck wrote:Saturday 27th

Glanville Fritillary in the Big Scrape at Hutchinsons Bank, just emerged and still floppy. The numbers are still low at the moment, but they seem to be hatching a few each day now.

DSC02614c.JPG

DSC02618c.JPG

Has anyone seen any Glanvilles at Hutchinsons Bank in the last few days?

ATB

Peter
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

peterc wrote:

DSC02614c.JPG

DSC02618c.JPG

ATB

Peter
Hi Peter, I haven't visited for a few weeks but from what I can gather the population may have crashed with only 3 or 4 sightings this year and none more than fleeting glances. Sad but not too unexpected given the history of mainland introductions of this species. Last years bumper crop was boosted by some larval nests being overwinted in captivity as a 'safety net' but I don't think any were taken this time. I guess MrSp0ck will be able to give us an update when time allows.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
peterc

Post by peterc »

bugboy wrote:
peterc wrote:

DSC02614c.JPG

DSC02618c.JPG

ATB

Peter
Hi Peter, I haven't visited for a few weeks but from what I can gather the population may have crashed with only 3 or 4 sightings this year and none more than fleeting glances. Sad but not too unexpected given the history of mainland introductions of this species. Last years bumper crop was boosted by some larval nests being overwinted in captivity as a 'safety net' but I don't think any were taken this time. I guess MrSp0ck will be able to give us an update when time allows.
Thanks for the quick reply, Paul. Shame to hear about the possible crash but not totally unexpected if indeed this has happened.

Peter

Return to “Sightings”