January 2017

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

January 2017

Post by David M »

May I wish you all a Happy and Productive New Year!

January is the toughest month to record butterfly sightings, so best of luck to those fortunate enough to have even an outside chance!
Allan.W.

Re: January 2017

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello all,wishing everybody a happy and healthy new year,
This morning my Brother in law phoned to tell me ,that yesterday in bright ,sunny weather he saw a Small Tortoisehell ,flying around and basking in a back garden in Cranbrook (Kent),no butterflies this year for me yet, but was really pleased to find 3 Waxwings,just across the road from me,my first for a couple of years !. we also had our first snow of the winter,starting around 6.30 pm yesterday........ weird weather ! regards Allan.W.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Spotted a red admiral in central Portsmouth with temperature about 8c it must have been woken by a period of warm sun but was fluttering around the eaves of a railway station looking for a spot to see out the rest of the winter - first of the year :)
Kind regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

A colleague saw a Peacock two days ago when she was out for a walk at lunchtime along the River Tyne in Haddington. I hope it managed to find something to feed on. :(
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

And a report of our first Small Tortoiseshell of the season for East Lothian, flying at the coast near Tyninghame.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

A friend of mine saw a Red Admiral in the centre of Tunbridge Wells in Kent on Tuesday and sent me a picture to prove it.

I am a little jealous; I have never seen a wild butterfly during the four months of November to February!

Still, a nice record.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

For those of us who are feeling downcast by the cold and wintry weather I have uploaded a couple of short Glanville fritillary videos from last year to http://www.flickr.com/photos/lepreskil
They are MP4 files and I seemed to have difficulty loading them to the ukbutterflies site.
I hope you enjoy them. :D

Return to “Sightings”