white but no wing spots

Discussion forum for sightings.
Aughie

white but no wing spots

Post by Aughie »

I photoed a white butterfly todayf and although there was a very faint dark tip to its wings it hadno wing spots. The wings were pure white. Is this unusual?
millerd

Re: white but no wing spots

Post by millerd »

Hi - male Green-veined Whites can sometimes be almost pure white on the upperside with only the faintest of black shading at the tips. However, this is more common in the spring brood than the summer one.

Dave
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Sounds like a male Large White to me. :)
David M

Post by David M »

I doubt that a Large White would have "faint wing tips" but it's perfectly possible for a male Small White to be practically bereft of upperwing markings.
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

David your right about the wing tips, I naturally assumed this because male Large White naturally don't have any spotting. I've never personally seen a male Small White with such a reduction in strength/scales regarding their singular spots on their forewings, that was until I looked at other photos which suggest that these spots can be practically absent in certain individuals. I need to get my act together as I've just become Species Champion for the Large White for the Sussex branch of BC! :lol: Aughie are you able to provide us with the photo as that will instantly give us a clear answer ? Many thanks, Jamie
Aughie

Post by Aughie »

Sorry for the delay in reply. I took the pics on 20/08/15 Therte were other whites I snapped that day but they had the requiset spots.

Aughie

Post by Aughie »

Aughie

Post by Aughie »

Return to “Sightings”