Painted Ladies on the way?

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Painted Ladies on the way?

Post by millerd »

There have been several sightings of Painted Ladies already this year, and also reports of a build up on the continent. On top of this, I have just read on the sightings page of the Upper Thames BC branch that bird observers at Portland and in the Scillies have seen "thousands...pouring through".

Could this be the first decent year since 2009?

Dave
David M

Re: Painted Ladies on the way?

Post by David M »

Hopefully.

I didn't see any PLs in France until the penultimate day a fortnight ago when I saw one. The following day I saw four. Perhaps they've been working their way north since then.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I've just looked at the RSPB site for Portland, and there have indeed been a number of sightings over the last week (not exactly "pouring through", mind). There was also a reference to thousands moving through Sicily... So the whole thing could be a case of wishful thinking! :(

Never mind - could still happen. Winds should become more southerly from after the weekend.

Dave
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

A good number in the Algarve 10 days ago - look out...

Tony M.
CFB

Post by CFB »

As I mentioned in my Personal Diary, here in the Alpes-Maritimes for the last ten days or so, I have been seeing an unusual quantity of Painted Ladies. Yesterday I saw well over 20, and this morning 10 or so. This is to be compared with the normal one or two a week if I'm lucky. I don't know whether this is a good omen :) or a bad omen :( regarding the number arriving in England, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you :wink: .
--
Colin
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Dave,
Glad to be able for once to contribute to a UK issue :D

Hi David, Colin and Tony,

The number of Painted Ladies coming through the South of France at the moment may not be evenly distributed.

To put things into perspective, at lunchtime today in Vitrolles in the Bouches du Rhone, in the space of 1 hour and 15 minutes, I spotted 13 different species of butterfly on my usual patch on the plateau of Vitrolles, but however did not see one Painted Lady.

I will of course be keeping a good look out in the days to come and will report back as and when.

Cheers, Chris

Return to “Sightings”