White-letter Hairstreaks in my Kent garden!

Discussion forum for sightings.
Testudo Man

Re: White-letter Hairstreaks in my Kent garden!

Post by Testudo Man »

Its that time of year again :roll: ...when Im expecting to sight a WLH in my garden.

Since this years weather/climate has been poor, Im just wondering how this will effect my chances of even seeing any garden WLH's ???
Oh well, we shall see how it pans out...either way, i think i might have to wait until the start of July?..but who knows?
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Let us all know when you do. It'll be roughly two weeks later up here in Sheffield!
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

selbypaul wrote:Let us all know when you do. It'll be roughly two weeks later up here in Sheffield!
Well, well, well...that was a surprise today :shock: ...I guess you have approx 2 weeks for some WLH's to emerge up your way now :wink:

I was looking out my bedroom window, when i spotted a Dragonfly in the garden, the Dragonfly flew up to my window, then it flew down to the bottom of the garden, near the Bramble bush/fence. So i grabbed my camera, and went to see if i could find it. Whilst looking for the Dragonfly(which i didnt end up sighting again) i was surprised to see a small dark butterfly nectaring on the Bramble flowers!!!! :shock:

Sure enough, the WLH's are now on the wing...I spent the next 3 hours watching the area closely. At times it was frustrating, because at least 3 times, there were a pair dueling high up, an with the wind, the pair were carried away rapidly.

One did come back down briefly though, so i grabbed several shots...but hope for another session with these lovely little beauties soon.

After lunch, it was a wash out, heavy rain/hail put an end to any more sightings.

A couple of images, Cheers Paul.

This image is cropped some.
25th-June-2016-to-600c.jpg
These other two images are not cropped.
25th-June-2016-to-600b.jpg
25th-June-2016-to-600a.jpg
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Excellent! Some great photo's, well done, and thanks for letting us know
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

selbypaul wrote:Excellent! Some great photo's, well done, and thanks for letting us know
No problems mate. Thanks for the comment on my photos.
I'd be interested in hearing when you see any WLH's up your way too.

No more garden sightings for me so far...but i dont think the rain/wind is helping matters.

Cheers Paul.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

This last week to 10 days, i have had a few WLH garden sightings, but most of them were the usual tree top/dueling males, so only long distant photos captured. A one point, i would say 3 to possibly 4 individuals were seen at once..............that was until the 9/7/16!
I was almost out the door, when from my front room window, i saw one fly past and land on my lawn! I quickly grabbed my camera, ran outside, and captured several shots of what looked like a fresh female. The wind was quite strong, so the butterfly was struggling a bit. Since i was already late for an appointment (my wife was shouting "get a move on") I left home, and didnt return until some hours later. The time was approx 11.30 am.

At approx 4.30pm, i went outside to check the garden/lawn area, and found a dead WLH??!! It was deep into the grass, an i had to almost prise it out from the roots. It looked like a female, probably the very same female i had seen some 5 hours previous?
The butterfly looked to be in good shape, but its head was missing, wings were intact, but body damaged too.

Im really stumped as to what happened to this WLH...was it predated by another insect?...A bird would have eaten it whole.
I do have 2 Dogs, and the small female Jack Russll did eat one last year...but she ate that whole, i doubt my dog could have the skill to just remove a Butterflies head. Maybe my dog stunned/killed the butterfly, then a possible insect of some sort preyed on the dead butterfly???
As i say, Im stumped on this...When i left home, the dogs were kept in the house(as usual) i only let the dogs out when i returned home.
The butterfly was alive when i left, but i then found a dead butterfly when i returned home...was it the same WLH? i think it might have been, it also looks like a female...and just how many female WLH's do i expect to find in my garden, on the same day??

An image of the WLH (very much alive) on my lawn. Image is not cropped.

Cheers Paul.
9th-July-2016-to-600a.jpg
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Sorry to hear of your sad experience!

I would suggest it could have been a cat, do you see any visit your garden? They normal kill and play with what they catch.
The only real way to tell if your dead butterfly is that of the same female would be to compare their markings, such as the white streaks, each individual is unique and comparing them that way should give you the answer.

Looking at your beautiful photo of the female White-letter Hairstreak I would say that it could have emerged the day before. If you look at the wing margin, bottom corner of the hindwing the black fringing displays a subtle blue hue, this is only visible in fresh and recently emerged individuals, but based on the presence of some ware to it's wings it suggest it's been about for a while.

The second photo you posted of the Essex Skipper on white clover is stunning! :D

Jamie
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Paul, I've just been to Gaits Barrow today and I met this couple who'd seen a large Dragon Fly attacking a High Brown Fritillary, I don't know much about DF's so don't know if they kill BF's are not but you mentioned seeing one in your Garden so I just wondered about it. What a shame, it was a great shot of it you took . Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A Dragonfly is certainly a possibility. Several years ago, I spotted this Emperor Dragonfly which had taken a Silver-washed Fritillary in Bentley Wood. In my photo, it appears to have attacked the head end.

Spiders are another possibility - there are lots of hazzards lurking in lawns!

Mike
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Jamie Burston wrote:Sorry to hear of your sad experience!

I would suggest it could have been a cat, do you see any visit your garden? They normal kill and play with what they catch.
The only real way to tell if your dead butterfly is that of the same female would be to compare their markings, such as the white streaks, each individual is unique and comparing them that way should give you the answer.

Looking at your beautiful photo of the female White-letter Hairstreak I would say that it could have emerged the day before. If you look at the wing margin, bottom corner of the hindwing the black fringing displays a subtle blue hue, this is only visible in fresh and recently emerged individuals, but based on the presence of some ware to it's wings it suggest it's been about for a while.

The second photo you posted of the Essex Skipper on white clover is stunning! :D

Jamie
Hi Jamie, thanks for the info. mate, and cheers for the comment in regards to my photos.

We do get at least 2 cats visit our garden(from next door :evil: ) but they wont come into the garden when my dogs are out!!
These cats are sly old timers, theyve been around awhile...Ive seen them stalking around my rockery area, because i get both Wood Mouse and Bank Voles visit the garden...Ive found dead Wood Mouse on my driveway out front, and i know its the cats who have done this.
So, maybe it was a cat??? who knows.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Goldie M wrote:Hi! Paul, I've just been to Gaits Barrow today and I met this couple who'd seen a large Dragon Fly attacking a High Brown Fritillary, I don't know much about DF's so don't know if they kill BF's are not but you mentioned seeing one in your Garden so I just wondered about it. What a shame, it was a great shot of it you took . Goldie :D
Cheers for the comment Goldie.
It is possible that a Dragonfly could have been the culprit? Only today, i sighted 3 different species of Dragonfly in my garden!
So who knows.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

MikeOxon wrote:A Dragonfly is certainly a possibility. Several years ago, I spotted this Emperor Dragonfly which had taken a Silver-washed Fritillary in Bentley Wood. In my photo, it appears to have attacked the head end.

Spiders are another possibility - there are lots of hazzards lurking in lawns!

Mike
Cheers for that Mike, and a great photo too.
My only concern with the likes of a Dragonfly is - They are serious predators, and from what ive seen of them, they dismember most of their prey with their powerful jaws, what they dont consume, is torn apart, and left in pieces/remains.

My WLH was intact, apart from its missing head...so Im not convinced a Dragonfly is the culprit? But its still a possibility i guess...perhaps Dragonflies(when preying on Butterflies) leave the wings intact??

Dragonflies seen in the garden today were - 2 Common Darters, 1 Brown Hawker, and 1 unknown species.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

A great WLH day today (14/7/16) which all unfolded before i went to work.

1st sighting was the earliest ive ever seen - a possible female with some wing damage, which landed on my bedroom window(another first) at 7.37 am.!!!

This image is not cropped. I leaned out the window to capture this shot!...I must clean my windows too!...nice reflection though.
14th-July-2016-to-600c.jpg
Then 2 other females were seen, both of them ovipositing up high in the trees. One of them came down, landed on a Bramble leaf, less than 2 feet from me! Then she flew down to the lawn, to take in moisture i guess. You can see all the water droplets in my photo of her.

The other female has some wing damage, but i didnt need that to see that there were 2 different females, because both of them were laying eggs in the same tree, approx 3 to 5 feet from each other.

What a fantastic morning that was today. Some more photos of the events, cheers Paul.

1st female.
14th-July-2016-to-600a.jpg
She is on the lawn here. Image is not cropped.
14th-July-2016-to-600d.jpg
1st female ovipositing. Image is not cropped.
14th-July-2016-to-600f.jpg
1st female ovipositing(another image with a large crop).
14th-July-2016-to-600e.jpg

2nd female. Image is not cropped. I had to place a large plastic drum on a garden bench, then stand on it!!! to capture these long range images.
14th-July-2016-to-600b.jpg
2nd female ovipositing. Image is not cropped.
14th-July-2016-to-600g.jpg
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Hi Paul,

Your White-letter Hairstreak on the window is a male.
WOW! Those photos of the ovipositing females are really special, amazing capture! At what height were they?

All the best,
Jamie
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Jamie Burston wrote:Hi Paul,

Your White-letter Hairstreak on the window is a male.
WOW! Those photos of the ovipositing females are really special, amazing capture! At what height were they?

All the best,
Jamie
Cheers for that Jamie.
I would say that the height of the ovipositing females was between 12 to 15 feet. The females chose a young tree, rather than the older, taller trees, in which to lay their eggs.

On the 16/7/16 (before i left home in search of some Chalk-hill Blues) i was just about to take a few images of a Holly Blue(which was on the lawn) when less than 2 feet away, up popped a WLH. Both butterflies were very close to each other, but i couldnt quite capture a shot of them together, in the same image.
I did offer out my hand for the WLH, but it soon took flight after a taste of me!!

Got a pic though, cheers Paul.

PS. later on that same day(approx 7.00 pm.) i sighted a WLH chase off a Holly Blue, the WLH was in close pursuit, until they flew out of view.
16th-July-2016-to-600d.jpg
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Some great photo's, well done!
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

selbypaul wrote:Some great photo's, well done!
Cheers for that.

Well...I havent been on this forum for months now...and the last time i took some pics of any type of wildlfe/butterflies etc, was way back in August :( so i guess i missed the last part of the "Butterfly season" this year! I just got bogged down with work commitments, so havent been able to either take any photos, or go through/edit some of my 2016 images.

Having gone through some of my images now, i thought i would share the last WLH experience i had, back on the 6th of August this year.
Once again, doing a bit of garden watching from my bedroom window...when i sighted a small dark butterfly on what i believe is Golden Rod? This bright yellow flower is sandwiched between the Trampoline and garden fence, an its the 1st time i have seen a WLH nectaring on this plant.
I took several shots, despite the very bright sunshine and shadows, which spoiled most of my images. Its also the latest in the year, that i have seen WLH in my garden...not sure if this a male or a female?? Its showing signs of wear, but i was very pleased to spend a few minutes taking pics/observing this little beauty.

Cheers Paul.

Edit - It appears to be a female? but i could be wrong! :roll:
6th-August-2016-to-600a.jpg
6th-August-2016-to-600b.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your so lucky, I've yet to see a White Letter Hair Streak :mrgreen: I keep hoping my Daughter who lives in Kent also and lives pretty near to Blean Wood will get some in her Garden. :D Goldie :D
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Goldie M wrote:Your so lucky, I've yet to see a White Letter Hair Streak :mrgreen: I keep hoping my Daughter who lives in Kent also and lives pretty near to Blean Wood will get some in her Garden. :D Goldie :D
Thanks Goldie, I sure am lucky :wink: ...I would also hope that your daughter is as lucky as i am too :wink:
Lets hope next season is as good as this last year, for my WLH garden sightings.

Whilst its probably quite rare to have WLH visit my garden...i cant be the only one out there to have them??? I would think many garden visits/sightings go unnoticed. Im pretty sure all my neighbours have them in their gardens too...but i doubt any of the neighbours are as keen/eagle-eyed as i am ?! :roll: :wink:

Cheers Paul.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

I had a quiet "Butterfly Year" for 2017 (busy at work etc).
I did see some WLH activity in my garden this year, but not as much as i normally would have. I just couldnt put the time in!

Once again, i observed a fresh specimen with some wing damage, so my conclusion is - that my Jack Russel is the culprit!
She has a heart of gold...but she will try to eat all types of insects!!

A couple of photos then.
Showing both the wing damaged one, and another fresh one, that landed on some garden Pansies! then flew over to my kitchen window!

Cheers Paul.
13th-June-2017-to-600.jpg
17th-June-2017-to-600.jpg
17th-June-2017-to-600b.jpg

Return to “Sightings”