May 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

May 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

My first Green Hairstreaks of the year were seen today at the end of my transect at Quarry Hangers Nature Reserve, Chaldon, Surrey. Both were on the ground and one stayed around for over an hour, darting up to investigate anything that flew past.
Location of Green Hairstreak sightings
Location of Green Hairstreak sightings
Green Hairstreak male - Chaldon, Surrey 1-May-2013
Also my first Holly Blue sighting in the garden.

Vince
NickB

Re: May 2013

Post by NickB »

Yes, it seems like GH day, as I saw over a dozen in a few hundred metres along the bottom of the Devil's Dyke this morning...
GHx2_2_low_DD_01_May_2013.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Mull, 1st May

Need some help with the i/d of this butterfly seen in Glen Aros. http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac85 ... 72dcef.jpg

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Wed May 01, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Duke of Burgundy at Noar Hill today - only one but very welcome Mark :D
Attachments
photo.JPG
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:Mull, 1st May

Need some help witht he i/d of this butterfly seen in Glen Aros. http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac85 ... 72dcef.jpg

Jack
Boloria metallica perhaps?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

NickB wrote:Need some help witht he i/d of this butterfly seen in Glen Aros.
Definitely a Bronze, though not Geranium B; Aros Bronze, perhaps? :D

Hey, the weather's getting too good for these games! Holly Blues and Brimstones passing through the garden regularly now.

Mike
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Surrey has been behind most other counties,with cold winds even on good days.Today was different.It was my fourth visit to the nearest end of the Chiddingfold Forest.I was immediately greeted with the song of Nightingales and a Cuckoo that had now settled in.Three Orange Tips,a large number of male and female Brimstones,four Peacocks,a Large White,four Holly Blues and a Comma soon followed.All this-whilst chatting to Mark Colvin.We also saw this Moth-is it a Large Yellow Underwing or an Orange Underwing? Help please.
P.J.U.
Attachments
Holly Blue.JPG
Female Brimstone.JPG
Comma.jpg
Orange Underwing.JPG
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

The first day of my favourite month and at last I get my first whites of the year at Llangors Lake, Breconshire, several Green-veined White and a lovely fresh male Orange-tip. Approximately ten Small Tortoiseshell and two Peacock also pleased me considerably.

Incidentally it's great to know that Green Hairstreak and Duke of Burgundy are making appearances, plans must be made for travelling!!!

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

I saw the following whilst waiting at some traffic lights in Southampton this afternoon. As I sat waiting, a Holly Blue ( my first of the year :D ) flew low across the grass verge where a Starling was foraging. As if to annoy the Starling, the butterfly fluttered around the birds head. The Starling, seemingly irritated, immediately started to jump and peck at the butterfly with its beak several times. The Holly Blue then flew on its way none the worse for wear, probably with a wry smile on its face :wink:

Later on, during a short walk along the Itchen Navigation at Bishopstoke, I found 2 Peacocks basking in some late sunshine at 6.45pm :D . Also one solitary Mayfly fluttered across the carpark as I arrived. I normally see these en masse but despite a walk along the river I did not see another.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Philip,

your moth looks like a Light Orange Underwing, [nationally scarce B] was there any Aspen close by, a tree that this moth favours. I have seen them in Oaken Wood at this time of year, which is their flight season. Hope that helps.

All the best, Nick.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Thanks Nick for your help.
Philip
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi P.J.,
That's an Orange Underwing (Archiearis parthenias); A. notha has much plainer looking, less variegated forewings. As Nick says, the latter may well occur in the same area, and I know of a colony of this highly localised species (A. notha) a couple of miles away.
BWs, Neil
kevling

Post by kevling »

Things are slowly starting to happen in sunny Ipswich.
A lunchtime break from the office on 1st May and my first Orange Tip of the year. That first sighting of my favourite butterfly always makes me happy! Also saw a couple of Holly Blues and a small and large white.
Try keeping me in the office today!

Kev
NickB

Post by NickB »

Yes - everything coming out now. This morning I saw several Holly Blue, Large and Small White and 3 Speckled Wood, after seeing my first yesterday.
Hopefully, we will see our target species this weekend on our Branch outings for Green Hairstreak and Grizzled Skipper: http://www.cambs-essex-butterflies.org.uk/events.php.
All welcome.... :D
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

My first Wood White of the season at 2pm.This was in a favoured area of the Chiddingfold Forest.Regretably it would not pose for a photo!I note it was some 16days later than my first sighting last year (which was unusual early on with all the sun).I also saw my first Green veined white and was joined by a pair of Tawny Owls calling at 3pm.
P.J.U.
David M

Post by David M »

Castle Meadows in Abergavenny was alive with butterflies this afternoon. Five days ago there wasn't a Pierid to be seen, but these last couple of sunny, mild days have seen them emerge en masse.

Small Tortoiseshell 30-40 seen
Peacock 20-30
Orange Tip 10-15 (including, most surprisingly, one FEMALE!)
Comma 5
Large White 4
Green Veined White 3
Holly Blue 2

In addition, there were at least a dozen Whites that I didn't get near enough to identify.

Peacocks were abnormally abundant today. Usually, you just see two or three with a distance in between but three times today I saw two engage each other in aerial jousts, and there were a fair few clashes between Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells too.

The good news is that unlike last year, Pierids are emerging in a period where dry, sunny and mild weather is likely to continue. With any luck, this might help them overcome any losses sustained in 2012.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

A quiet walk around one of my local sites turned into a day to remember. Quite apart from the stuff that was flying about, I managed to find an egglaying Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell. I have been trying for years to get images of eggs of these species and then get them both in the same day :D

Both species lay in batches on the undersides of nettle leaves, but those of the Peacock are larger, with up to 400 in a batch.
Peacock ova - Coulsdon, Surrey 2-May-2013
The eggs of the Small Tortoiseshell are very similar in appearance, but laid in smaller batches.
Small Tortoiseshell ova - Coulsdon, Surrey 2-May-2013
Both plants used were less than 4 inches high and both batches were laid in the early afternoon.

Vince
millerd

Post by millerd »

Amongst many other things on a splendid day out today, a Small Heath at Denbies.

It was not stopping, certainly not long enough to be approached very closely, so all I managed was a record shot from some way off.

More stuff in my diary later...

Dave
Attachments
SH1 020513.JPG
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Great work Vince.

I look forward to the inevitable next instalment :D
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Vince Massimo wrote:I managed to find an egglaying Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell. I have been trying for years to get images of eggs of these species and then get them both in the same day :D
Me too Vince :mrgreen:

Good work!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Sightings”