September 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

Re: September 2011

Post by Jack Harrison »

Oh yeah, just one other thing to report. I rather cheekily asked Sami to marry me...and she said YES!
Well done Gibster and Sami.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

David M wrote:
NickB wrote:A quick tour of the Cemetery this morning revealed 31 Red Admirals..
Egad! :shock:

I suppose I should congratulate you for the effort expended in counting them all. :)
That's nothing - someone in Suffolk counted 75 at one site!!!!

N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
David M

Post by David M »

NickB wrote:
David M wrote:
NickB wrote:A quick tour of the Cemetery this morning revealed 31 Red Admirals..

I suppose I should congratulate you for the effort expended in counting them all. :)

N
That's not a count, that's a plague!

Seriously though, they DO seem abnormally abundant this year, yet Small Tortoiseshells and Painted Ladies are rather scarce.
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

NickB wrote:
David M wrote:

N
Hopefully if the weather conditions are suitable we should see a few through the winter, I saw this one at Paignton on 30th January 2010
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13372714@N00/5602526138/

It is in a rather sheltered and sunny spot and I suspect that year round breeding rather than hibernation was occuring there.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Large numbers of Red Admirals arrived in May to supplement those that had survived the winter. We are (probably) now seeing their grandchildren.

I'm not sure about breeding all year in even the most favoured spots but they certainly don't seem to hibernate in the way that Peacocks of Tortoiseshells do. RAs most likely go into short periods of torpor and wake on many a sunny winter's day (but it needn't be warm - I have seen a Red Admiral basking with an air temperature of a mere +2°C). It is thus probable that some of those active at the moment could just survive until next spring to breed again.

With such huge numbers at the moment, this could give the ideal opportunity to mark and release and then note how many - if any - are seen again next spring. A little dab of Tippex or similar on an upper wing might be suitable. (I suggest upper wing as that would be easier than under wing to observe without the need for re-capture).

Jack
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Red Admiral outside Southwark Crown Court today!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Any idea what the senior Russian sailor was on trial for? (Groan - well somebody had to be the first)

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:
Any idea what the senior Russian sailor was on trial for? (Groan - well somebody had to be the first)

Jack
Piracy (of old jokes)?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry - should have posted this yeasterday...

Red Admiral, 6 -7 whites and a male Adonis Blue at Roundway Down nr Devizes, Wilts.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Only just caught up with the news ... Congratulations Gibster & Sami. Good work! :D
Best Wishes, Neil
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Thanks again, chaps! :D Still kinda reeling with it all, at our birdclub's indoor meeting we were treated to a bout of near-rapturous applause once word got out there, which fair made our evening! Date is still to be settled, we're hoping for a summer wedding, possibly in Cornwall. And maybe a small party (or three) at a butterfly reserve near you??? All are invited, with the proviso that you come dressed as your favourite butterfly or moth!!! :P

See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4859 for Neil's idea of getting dressed up, lol!!!!

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Gibster wrote:... All are invited, with the proviso that you come dressed as your favourite butterfly or moth!!! :P
Gibster.
Sounds interesting, so long as all the blokes don't start fighting each other for the best display perch and then start a barney when the girls arrive.... :lol:
N
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Had a lovely surprise today in Huntingdon High Street... a Hummingbird Hawk Moth was enjoying the hanging baskets outside Phones 4 U !!

Charles

8) 8)

PS Congratulations to Gibster & Sami !!
NickB

Post by NickB »

Still plagues of Red Admirals over here today ...
..switching locations in the cemetery as the ivy bushes come into flower....
..and they love the warm stones for basking on ....
from a day or two ago...
Sun worship
Sun worship
..lots of spiders now too...
"Packed Lunch"
"Packed Lunch"
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Today I went to Folkestone Warren in search of Clouded Yellows ( ever the optimist.. ) Although I didn't find any I was happy to see a Peacock, my first in many weeks
P1000572.JPG
I then came across a Small Copper
P1000567.JPG
Last but not least was this Large White : I thought it looked beautiful
P1000577.JPG
P1000579.JPG
I've got my fingers crossed that this Indian Summer continues and will encourage all those Clouded Yellows to make the Channel crossing,after all, It's not so bad here...
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hoggers wrote:Today I went to Folkestone Warren in search of Clouded Yellows ( ever the optimist.. )
I've got my fingers crossed that this Indian Summer continues and will encourage all those Clouded Yellows to make the Channel crossing,after all, It's not so bad here...
Yes, 2009 at Beachy Head was phenomenal!
Here's hoping...
:D
N
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Seconded. 500 in one field. Including helice.I've never seen anything like it! :D
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

My contacts in Bournemouth (Hannah and Mia) took a break from visiting the 'in-laws' yesterday, to survey for Clouded Yellows and ice-cream on Southbourne undercliffs. They spotted 5 Clouded Yellows :D :D :D :D :D , some of which appeared to be in excellent condition.
Neil
Mark Senior

Post by Mark Senior »

The last Clouded Yellow I saw in 2009 was at Ouse Valley NR Newhaven on November 7th . I managed to see no less than 5 species in November that year with Speckled Wood , Small White , Large White and Red Admiral in addition to Clouded Yellow . Small Copper and Common Blue were seen there in the last week of October .
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Congratulations to Gibster and Sami!

A Meadow Brown in surprisingly good condition at Stoke Camp today, along with a couple of hill-topping Red Admirals and a Speckled Wood along the woodland edge. No sign of Wall Brown or third-brood Small Blue, which is what I went to look for, but perhaps later in the week given good weather.

Return to “Sightings”