September 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
RobS

Re: September 2011

Post by RobS »

Thursday 1st turned up my first Painted Lady..and apparently the first for Noar Hill reserve this year. :D
Attachments
Painted Lady 1 border rs.jpg
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Just a few photos of what has been around on the Isle of Wight in the past few days- all in good condition.
Adonis blue and small heath- Bonchurch Down
Comma, small copper and brown argus -Branstone near Sandown
Red admiral and brimstone -Walters Copse Newtown.
Attachments
Brimstone
Brimstone
Brown argus
Brown argus
Adonis blue male
Adonis blue male
Small heath
Small heath
Red admiral
Red admiral
Adonis blue female semiceronus
Adonis blue female semiceronus
Comma
Comma
Small copper
Small copper
David M

Post by David M »

Took a trip out to Kenfig dunes near Port Talbot this morning, arriving at 10.30 on a fairly sunny but blustery day.

Sadly, the Small Blues and Wall Browns appear to have gone, but there were still plenty of Meadow Browns (40-60 in total), some of them looking in remarkably fresh condition. There were also around a dozen of the following: Common Blue, Speckled Wood & Small Heath, whilst four Small Tortoiseshells and two Small Coppers were seen too.

Amazingly, I saw no Whites at all (though I did see a couple flying at the roadside on my way back). A quick stop off at my local patch also yielded a Red Admiral.

View towards Swansea from the shore at Kenfig:

Lovely, fresh female Meadow Brown:

Very dark male Speckled Wood:

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Ian Pratt wrote:Adonis blue and small heath- Bonchurch Down
That's a splendid Adonis female photo, Ian. Shows 'textbook' blue scales just inside the fringe!

Mike
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Only two Small Whites in my garden this afternnon, but also a Humming Bird Hawk Moth.

That's all folks!
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I've been away up in Yorkshire for a while and with rather chilly weather, butterflies were at a bit of a premium. However, my sister has a Victoria plum tree, which acted as a magnet for Red Admirals. She also has expanses of nettles, and judging by the freshness of some of the butterflies, many were home grown. Other species to put in an appearance were Holly Blue, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, various Whites and one Brimstone. A few shots below.

Dave
Attachments
RA2 resized.JPG
RA1 resized.JPG
Brimstone1 resized.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Saturday 3rd gave me an opportunity to visit a Surrey site for Brown Hairstreaks on the edge of Bookham Common (thank you, Phil!). With the sun just coming out,it was warm, but a bit breezy. One Brown Hairstreak was spotted almost immediately, but wouldn't stay still long enough for a photo, being far more interested in finding suitable spots to lay eggs. There were two other possible sightings, plus a Small Copper, a Red Admiral, a couple of new Commas, several Meadow Browns and Speckled Woods. Finally, another uncommon sight this year, there was a Painted Lady, nectaring on wild mint.

Moving on a few miles down the road, another visit to Denbies seemed a good idea. The butterflies were much diminished in number since my last visit, but there were still Adonis Blues in reasonable quantities, a few Chalkhills, and one tired-looking Silver-spotted Skipper. Still plenty of Small Heaths and Meadow Browns.

Dave
Attachments
AB1 resized.JPG
PL2 resized.JPG
PL1 resized.JPG
Comma resized1.JPG
AB2 resized.JPG
AB pair1 resized.JPG
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

millerd wrote:Saturday 3rd gave me an opportunity to visit a Surrey site for Brown Hairstreaks on the edge of Bookham Common (thank you, Phil!). With the sun just coming out,it was warm, but a bit breezy. One Brown Hairstreak was spotted almost immediately, but wouldn't stay still long enough for a photo, being far more interested in finding suitable spots to lay eggs. There were two other possible sightings, plus a Small Copper, a Red Admiral, a couple of new Commas, several Meadow Browns and Speckled Woods. Finally, another uncommon sight this year, there was a Painted Lady, nectaring on wild mint.

Moving on a few miles down the road, another visit to Denbies seemed a good idea. The butterflies were much diminished in number since my last visit, but there were still Adonis Blues in reasonable quantities, a few Chalkhills, and one tired-looking Silver-spotted Skipper. Still plenty of Small Heaths and Meadow Browns.

Dave
Great set of photos especially the first Painted Lady. :D
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Not very productive here, strong winds today and last night so not much around. Only see x2 small white, a large white and a Small Tortoiseshell (seen one twice in two days). Been getting my garden a little more wildlife friendly so hopefully more will appear in garden in future and be able to breed.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
marmari

Post by marmari »

After the brisk winds of yesterday,Wednesday promised some sun.So a walk around Clamerkin NT near to Newport on the Isle of Wight.
The sun did show for a short while until cloud and rain returned this afternoon.just enough time though to spot this Painted Lady in her best outfit and a handsome Common Blue.
Last edited by marmari on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Not been out anywhere lately, the weather has certainly turned Autumnal around here, either wind or rain or both :(

A brief spell of sunshine this afternoon as I got back from work and there were three Speckled Wood in my back garden. Apart from a couple of weeks between broods I have these in the garden consistently from late March through to Autumn (not the same three of course :lol: ).

Also, another sign of Autumn.... great big Tegenaria spiders clomping around the house :shock: .
I swear these things get bigger every year, I had trouble last night getting a glass over one to catch it and put it outside. I know they will probably find their way back in but I take them down the garden and tell the wife I have put them closer to the neighbours house :wink:

Cheers,

Neil F.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

nfreem wrote:Also, another sign of Autumn ... great big Tegenaria spiders clomping around the house. I swear these things get bigger every year, I had trouble last night getting a glass over one to catch it and put it outside.
I totally agree Neil ... I struggled getting a bucket over one in my conservatory a couple of weeks back! :wink:
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Also, another sign of Autumn ... great big Tegenaria spiders clomping around the house. I swear these things get bigger every year, I had trouble last night getting a glass over one to catch it and put it outside.
Yeah I had loads of those in my own house, nicknamed one Speedy Gonzales, really can move those things.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
gazillion

Post by gazillion »

On the 1st Sep I was lucky enough to see my first Clouded Yellow, at the July Course section of Devil's Dyke in Cambs. No photo sadly, too much adrenaline to get a shot before it flew off.

On the 3rd I was at Aston Rowant in the Chilterns and saw my first Silver Spotted Skippers, and also first Painted Lady of the year.
Silver-spotted Skippers
Silver-spotted Skippers
Painted Lady
Painted Lady

Has anyone got any good sightings of Grayling? On here Cavenham Heath is listed and I've been four times over the summer and never even a brief sighting. I am guessing nearer the coast would be better, but the heathland there is all they need so must have been present recently?

thanks,

Leo
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

There were loads of Grayling on the heaths near Ipswich a couple of weeks ago. There still ought to be a few around.
gazillion

Post by gazillion »

Hello Matsukaze,

Thank you for the info. Any tips for spotting them? They are so camouflaged maybe that's why I'm missing them. I heard they like to perch on rocks? Any particular time of day?

thanks, Leo
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

AndyR wrote:I reached for the camera, tried to take a photo but no shutter sound, then realised I had left the battery in the charger at home!
This never used to happen with my old Pentax K1000! Ever since changing to digital, I always carry a spare battery in my camera bag. Switch them around at intervals, to ensure that both batteries are kept in good condition and fully charged. One irritation is that Panasonic have taken to 'micro-chipping' their batteries, to force you to buy their over-priced ones, although clones with the necessary chip do seem to be appearing. The expense is justified, as soon as you leave one at home!

Mike
NickB

Post by NickB »

The old ones have still got it, eh Mike? :wink:

Saw 15+ Small White, 12+ Red Admirals, 5 Speckled Wood, 4 Small Copper & 2 Comma today in the remaining meadow in the Cemetery :)

Then on a bike ride later with my son, spotted a Hobby over the fen & a grass snake hunting in the river...
:D
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Went out to my local haunt to search for butterflies, all I got was a single large white and GV white. 3 hours of searching over lake, forest, very large area where the flower meadow was and roadside verges with wildflowers. Then again the flower meadow that is maintained for wildlife, was mown (with small patches left, but not many) so not much flowers about for butterflies to feed on.
Cheers all,
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

It might be worth someone going to look at this thread on Bird Forum

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php ... ost2237899

Pennington Flash is somewhere near Wigan in Lancashire I think

Return to “Sightings”