Sm_C_2_low_MRC_31st_Aug_2010.jpg
Sm_C_3_low_MRC_31st_Aug_2010.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Perseus

Re: August Sighting 2010

Post by Perseus »

Hello,

29 August 2010
Swallows and House Martins swooped over Mill Hill prior to migration south. Butterflies were still in flight and the count of Adonis Blues on the 1.2 acre transect on the lower slopes of Mill Hill was 122. Other species seen during the morning were frequent Holly Blues and Speckled Woods in the hedgerows, frequent Common Blues and Small Heath Butterflies plus one Brown Argus on Mill Hill, occasional Chalkhill Blues on the Mill Hill Cutting (SW) and frequent Large Whites everywhere.

Adur Butterfly & Large Moth List
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2010.html

Cheers

Andy Horton
glaucus@hotmail.com
Adur Valley Nature Notes
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2010.html
Adur Valley Nature Notes: August 2010
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/August2010.html
Sussex Downs Facebook Group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111843132181316
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

I went down to West Williamston in Pembrokeshire yesterday, (once David M had helpfully pointed out that it wasn't located on the Gower :lol:), to look for some female Brown Hairstreaks. It's a lovely place, and it was a nice change to be looking for butterflies right next to the saltmarsh. Just after I arrived a Peregrine made a spectacular, and nearly successfully, attempt at catching a woodpigeon :) . Found the little glade easy enough (thanks again David), but decided to explore the accessible part of the marsh first, whilst I waited for the Hairstreaks to appear. The Sea Asters on the marsh edge held good numbers of Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Painted Lady, 2 Small Copper, 20+ Meadow Brown, and 10+ Common Blue. The Asters also held hundreds of Hoverflies, and I saw 2 species that were new to me.

Returning to the glade, it wasn't long before the first female Brown Hairstreak flew down from the Ash canopies and briefly basked before commencing a search of the Blackthorn for egg-laying sites. It was soon joined by a second, and then a third. All 3 gave excellent views, and appeared quite unconcerned to have an audience. 2 Silver-washed Fritillary, 1 Holly Blue, 1 Comma, and several Speckled Wood were also seen in the glade. After leaving the glade, a walk along the wood edge produced another Brown Hairstreak and close views of a Spotted Flycatcher. One more Brown Hairstreak was seen in the fields on the return to the parking place.

A great day was had at an excellent site, and it was also good to meet up with Michaeljf :D .

Jon
West Williamston saltmarsh, Pembrokeshire
West Williamston saltmarsh, Pembrokeshire
Brown Hairstreak basking
Brown Hairstreak basking
Brown Hairstreak
Brown Hairstreak
Hoverfly (Ferdinandea cuprea)
Hoverfly (Ferdinandea cuprea)
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi,
not a lot I can add to Jon's description of West Williamston, where I went yesterday. The reserve looked absolutely beautiful just after 9am in soft sunshine - it quickly went near the top of my list for favourite reserves. The pictures don't do it justice. We probably spent a couple of hours walking around (getting very wet feet) whilst looking up and down the Blackthorn bushes. I saw a fox in the first field which leads down to the Estuary. It was about 11:20 when I saw my first Brown Hairstreak in the reserve, initially nectaring on Ragwort and then sitting amongst the grass (not seen that before, but very friendly).

The reserve volunteer (guide) Nikki showed up shortly after, and we had a nice chat whilst walking to the preferred 'butterfly glade' where Jon had found about 3 Hairstreaks that weren't doing a lot except sitting about. Luckily the weather was better than the forecast and the sun more or less stayed out until I left at just after 1pm as I needed to do some photography in Rhossili at the Gower. Along with the 1st BH in the first field, Jon's 3 in the glade, there were another 2 at the entrance to the glade as I left, plus one up in a Hawthorn bush above our heads (a long range photo proved it was different to the other ones) and another one I saw as we drove out of the reserve, which makes a total of about 7 seen by me. Nikki went off to the Limestone Ridge so may have seen more.

There were also some beautiful Red Admirals, Commas, a lone Silver Washed Fritillary, a Holly Blue, some Small Coppers, Common Blues, a single Painted Lady and loads of Speckled Woods & Small Tortoiseshells. It was great to meet Jon - he has a lot of knowledge outside the field of Lepidoptera, particularly on birds and flies!

Also - there are Painted Ladies right by the trig point on top Rhossili downs at the moment, for those who want to go there... :mrgreen:
West Williamston Reserve around 9am
West Williamston Reserve around 9am
1st Brown Hairstreak amongst the grass
1st Brown Hairstreak amongst the grass
Egg Laying Brown Hairstreak in the 'glade'
Egg Laying Brown Hairstreak in the 'glade'
Comma feeding on Blackberries?
Comma feeding on Blackberries?
BH just sitting on the Ferns
BH just sitting on the Ferns
BH wings open in the sun
BH wings open in the sun
Last edited by Michaeljf on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Jonanthan & David
- I have also contacted the South Wales branch of Butterfly Conservation about the White-Letter Hairstreaks at Forest Farm this year. It looks like they weren't aware of it's presence there though one had been seen in Pughs Garden Centre, which is less than a kilometre away (never been there myself!).
I have taken the liberty of giving them Jon's sightings and dates as per the July Sightings posts. Looks like our info / sightings will be registered etc etc. :)
Michael
David M

Post by David M »

Willrow wrote:For Attention of David M,

Hi David,

I spent today at Rodborough Common, near Stroud, there were good numbers of both Adonis Blue and Brown Argus. Chalkhill Blue were present but are past their best. Like you I wanted to get to the nearest Adonis Blue site from home in South Wales, there's only a couple of miles difference between Chippenham (40 miles) and Stroud (38) from the new Severn Bridge, but I'm not familiar with West Yatton Down so I don't know if you have to add any further mileage on.

Next year you may also consider Stinchcombe Hill, near Dursley (also Gloucestershire) which is most probably the nearest place for us for Adonis and Chalkhill Blue, it also has Small Blue, Grizzled and Dingy Skipper, Green Hairstreak and Dark Green and Silver-washed Fritillary. This site is at least ten miles less than the two mentioned above, I've heard and read some good things about it but have not paid a visit yet - must keep something for next year :D !!!

Hope this may help a little towards planning your 'butterflying' diary for next year.

Best Wishes,

Bill
Thanks, Bill. Always keen to hear about new sites (the closer to home the better - these south easterners don't know how lucky they are!)

I'll keep you in the 'Welsh Loop' now (along with Jon, Michael and Jenks), and if I chance upon any good sites will circulate the info.
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:Jonanthan & David
- I have also contacted the South Wales branch of Butterfly Conservation about the White-Letter Hairstreaks at Forest Farm this year. It looks like they weren't aware of it's presence there though one had been seen in Pughs Garden Centre, which is less than a kilometre away (never been there myself!).
I have taken the liberty of giving them Jon's sightings and dates as per the July Sightings posts. Looks like our info / sightings will be registered etc etc. :)
Michael
Good move, Michael. I still haven't got round to reporting the Essex Skippers at Usk (shame on me).

Glad you bumped into Nikki at WW. She's a stalwart. She was there gazing up at a potential master tree at 945 the Sunday I visited and she spent the entire day there. They also do regular egg counts even when the adults have gone.

As you say, the reserve is beautiful, although not a place for those infirm of foot! It's very unlike anywhere else I've ever been to spot butterflies, and it makes things all the more interesting because of it (for instance, I'd never have thought Sea Asters would prove so irresistible to Vanessids - had I not chased the 1st Painted Lady I spotted I would never have seen the huge numbers of Tortoiseshells).

I guess it's particularly appealing to you, given your interest in birds and wild plants (by the way, what is the name of that huge, hawkweed-type flower near the glade entrance?)
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

David M wrote:(by the way, what is the name of that huge, hawkweed-type flower near the glade entrance?)
Oops...I think I missed it :oops: . I only spotted Ragwort in the first field! :)

It may have been Bristly Oxtongue.
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

Michael
Michael & David,

The Pughs Garden Centre information is interesting. Next year it will certainly be worth checking suitable areas in between Pugh's and the Hairstreak fields; especially the fields at the farm between Morganstown and the Taff. Another potential spot is the field between Forest Farm allotments and the weir, as it is surrounded by oaks and has large areas of bramble. Can't wait :!: :D

Excellent pics Michael.

Jon
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Jonathan Evans wrote:Another potential spot is the field between Forest Farm allotments and the weir, as it is surrounded by oaks and has large areas of bramble. Can't wait :!: :D Excellent pics Michael. Jon
Thanks Jon :) And when it comes to finding the new sites, feel free to do so....Me, I'll just be trying to get good shots of the WLH at Forest Farm! :mrgreen:
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

Michaeljf wrote:
Jonathan Evans wrote:Another potential spot is the field between Forest Farm allotments and the weir, as it is surrounded by oaks and has large areas of bramble. Can't wait :!: :D Excellent pics Michael. Jon
Thanks Jon :) And when it comes to finding the new sites, feel free to do so....Me, I'll just be trying to get good shots of the WLH at Forest Farm! :mrgreen:
Haha :lol: :lol:
millerd

Post by millerd »

On the morning of 30th August, I popped down to Denbies. There were still plenty of newish Adonis Blues around, of both sexes, outnumbering their Chalkhill cousins by about two to one. Also seen were several mostly rather worn Brown Argus, plus good numbers of Small Heath and Meadow Brown.

Dave
Attachments
Adonis Blue (m)
Adonis Blue (m)
Adonis Blue (f)
Adonis Blue (f)
Chalkhill Blue (m)
Chalkhill Blue (m)
Chalkhill Blue (f)
Chalkhill Blue (f)
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Was out today (or should that be yesterday as its now 00:30) along the South Co Down coast and while I didn't see much but several small whites and lots of white ermine caterpillars crossing the road. I did happen to find this near the village of Clough on the south Ards Penninsula. Its not sharks we have to watch for here...its crocs! :lol: (there isn't actually crocs here, for anyone who thinks there is). This sign was on a shed door, the shed was on its own on one side of a road by the sea here.
Warning...crocs!?!
Warning...crocs!?!
I'll post what I have seen in the last few days on my personal diaries thread.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Are yes, but are the Crocodiles Republican or Loyalist?

Jack
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Jack Harrison wrote:Are yes, but are the Crocodiles Republican or Loyalist?
Jack
Speaking as one who was there when the troubles started, I have to say that I never found a way of telling the difference, to me a crocodile is a crocodile. It's like Small Skippers and Essex Skippers, only an expert can say (or another Skipper).
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

JohnR wrote:
Jack Harrison wrote:Are yes, but are the Crocodiles Republican or Loyalist?
Jack
Speaking as one who was there when the troubles started, I have to say that I never found a way of telling the difference, to me a crocodile is a crocodile. It's like Small Skippers and Essex Skippers, only an expert can say (or another Skipper).
Your right there, doesn't matter which side your on, the crocs has no preferences except seeing you as food, although I did think the water nearby the sign was slightly orange... :lol:
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Interesting
jenks

Post by jenks »

Michael
I emailed the S.Wales BC rep, Barry Stewart, on 25 July with details of my sightings at Forest Farm. That was after meeting David, & I think glimpsing you Michael although we didn`t speak. I didn`t receive an acknowledgement so can only hope my report was received and noted !.

Return to “Sightings”