August Sighting 2010

Discussion forum for sightings.
Michaeljf

Re: August Sighting 2010

Post by Michaeljf »

Jonathan Evans wrote:but from there I usually continue via Salisbury/Firsdown/Middle Winterslow. I'll certainly try your way next year though; anything to cut the journey time down- have to leave at 4.30am. Jon
Ouch! I feel like a right layabout, having left at 7 am for Bentley Wood :oops: . But yes, I would discourage your end route as Salisbury always slows the journey down (if I get a chance I'll email you the end of the route we take). I always think once you get past a 2 hours in the car (without stopping) the journey gets a bit long. Obviously if you do get good sightings this relieves the pain :wink:

With Fermyn Wood, my wife's parents live round Norwich way, so it turned out we were virtually passing the woods every time we went to see them. Now we have a really excellent stopping point, even if we leave at 6:00 am (which is still hours after you've left!!!) :mrgreen:
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The Emperor used to exist in the Wye Valley, until at least the 1960s. Is the butterfly really extinct there, or have people just stopped looking? That would be a bit closer for you guys!
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

I have heard that there are Purple Emperors in the Forest of Dean, but don't know of any specific sights or specific sightings eminating from there. Would be great if there were (and a lot closer :)).
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Jonathan Evans wrote:I have heard that there are Purple Emperors in the Forest of Dean, but don't know of any specific sights or specific sightings eminating from there.
Jon,
after your success with the Hairstreaks in Cardiff, perhaps you'll be the first one to have a confirmed sighting of the Emperor in the Forest of Dean :wink:
Michael
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

Watch this space :!: :lol:
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Hello,

18 August 2010
Out on a hedgerow foraging trip I spotted my first confirmed Brown Hairstreak on the southern bank of the Buckingham Cutting, north Shoreham, which has made me more confident about my two previous sightings on Mill Hill. It was a male in an area where Blackthorn bushes were not known but it is so overgrown that they may occur.

A couple of Speckled Woods were seen attempting to mate on the bush next to the Brown Hairstreak and I think this may also be a first I have seen this. On the garden sized area of the south-western part of Mill Hill Cutting there were 21 Chalkhill Blues including eight females.

First Adur Butterfly Dates 2003 to 2010
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/ButterfliesFFT.htm

Adur Butterfly & Large Moth List
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2010.html

Cheers

Andy Horton
glaucus@hotmail.com
Adur Valley Nature Notes
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2010.html
Adur Valley Nature Notes: August 2010
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/August2010.html
Sussex Downs Facebook Group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111843132181316
David M

Post by David M »

Swift visit to the Isleof Man to see my mum. The island has a relative paucity of butterfly species, but there were quite a few Grayling and Wall Brown near the north coast. Also, and quite amazingly given that I've only seen one specimen prior to this week, a Painted Lady was on my mother's buddleia!!

If they can get to the Isle of Man there must be a fair few knocking about further south.
Big surprise in the garden
Big surprise in the garden
Jonathan Evans

Post by Jonathan Evans »

David M wrote: Also, and quite amazingly given that I've only seen one specimen prior to this week, a Painted Lady was on my mother's buddleia!!
Yes, nothing like last year. I've only seen 2: 1 at Broadcroft Quarry, Portland; and 1 at Durlston Country Park. A very poor showing :cry: .

Jon
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Grafton Wood (Grafton Flyford, Worcester) Thursday 19th August

We arrived at the Three Parishes Village Hall car park at 8:30 - a day off work before the weather turns for the worse - unfortunately the forecast had deteriorated on Wednesday night, and I knew I was pushing my luck :roll: . Thanks to Lee Hurrell's helpful guide to the twists and turns through the gates at Church Farm we managed to find Grafton Wood via a new route for us, as we normally go from the Flyford Arms pub. The sky was grey and didn't look promising. In fact, I was already apologising to my wife for making us book a day off work :oops: After an hour or so all we had seen were a few Common Blue and Brown Argus butterflies and a couple of Hornets along the main ride.

However, by 11:00 am the sun kept trying to peek through the gloom as we tried as many of the rides as possible to see Brown Hairstreaks. I was surprised and pleased by the sheer volume of the wild flowers, including the Common Fleabane (as in 'tons of'!), Mint, Hemp Agrinomy and Cornflowers. We met (by accident) the Reserve Manager (John Tilt?) and had a lovely chat about how everyone who'd come to the reserve had seen the Brown Hairstreak, and how well the Brown Argus, Common Blue and Silver-Washed Fritillary were doing at the reserve (second broods for both the Argus and the Blue were a 'new' bonus). He also spoke about the reserve's planned scheme to re-introduce one of the Fritillaries (not sure if it is the Pearl-Bordered or Small Pearl-Bordered) and he / his conservation group are currently looking after 1,500 caterpillars for release next year.

By early afternoon we hadn't got wet and it was a real bonus. As the sun kept peeking through the Butterfly species kept increasing -

Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Silver-Washed Fritillary, Small Skipper, Common Blue, Small Copper, Large White/Small White/Green-Veined White, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Comma, Red-Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Brown Argus and later that afternoon even a couple of Painted Ladies. We traipsed up and down the reserve withought seeing the Brown Hairstreak. We saw a deer, several unidentified Birds of Prey, a bunch more Hornets and some mighty big Dragonflies (they didn't stop for pictures though).

Eventually at around 2:00pm I finally saw one Brown Hairstreak on the Hemp Agrinomy. I had enought time to get a 'ID shot' before it flew up into the trees again, and that proved to be the last we saw of it! We left the Reserve at about 3:30 which proved a fortuitous bit of timing as the heavens finally opened at 4:00pm.

Final note: The Reserve Manager mentioned that last year, when he and some helpers were trimming the reserve they saw a Brown Hairstreak as late as early October, so there is still hope of seeing more (and getting some half-decent photos?) :|
Last edited by Michaeljf on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Finally was able to go out today and see what was around. Went to Mountstewart Gardens (National trust site) and checked around the buddliea as there is three large ones. Saw more today than I have in past few weeks. Also had a number of butterflies in my garden:

In my garden I had:

4 Red Admiral
1 Peacock
2 Large White
1 Small Tortoiseshell

Further int the forest near Mountstewart Gardens I spotted 2 speckled wood. When I got the buddliea, it was full of life which included many honeybees and a buff footman. Saw:

1 Painted Lady (was so easy to get close to, I could have picked it up)
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
6 Red Admiral
Red Admiral
Red Admiral
5 Peacock Butterflies
Peacock Butterfly
Peacock Butterfly
Peacock Underside
Peacock Underside
2 Large White
4 Small Tortoiseshell (which were reluctant to have their photo taken so I didn't get any photos of these)
4 Green-Veined White

I noticed that my photo of the Painted Lady I got today is almost identical to one I got last year but I prefer this years one:

One from today:
Painted Lady
Painted Lady
photo from last year which was taken in the same place:
Painted Lady - August 2009
Painted Lady - August 2009
Last edited by Dave McCormick on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Some Grafton Wood pics from 19th August:
Common Blue and a friend
Common Blue and a friend
Brown Argus on Cornflower
Brown Argus on Cornflower
Small Skipper (until told otherwise!)
Small Skipper (until told otherwise!)
Brown Argus: they'll soon be up to something naughty...
Brown Argus: they'll soon be up to something naughty...
Brimstone on Common Fleabane
Brimstone on Common Fleabane
Red Admiral - a welcome beauty..
Red Admiral - a welcome beauty..
A single Cornflower
A single Cornflower
My brief view of a Brown Hairstreak
My brief view of a Brown Hairstreak
Comma at the 'wild flower' end of the reserve
Comma at the 'wild flower' end of the reserve
The main ride in the reserve
The main ride in the reserve
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Lots of driving today, but well worth it as I saw two new species for me, both Silver Spotted Skipper and Chalkhill Blue.

The Silver Spotted Skipper's were at Aston Rowant in the Chilterns. Was actually quite disappointed not to see much there. Most common species was Small Heath. There were no Chalkhill Blue's at all, only a few Common Blue's, some very fresh.
Saw about three Silver Spotted Skipper's. They were very difficult to photo as the wind was so strong. Also some mysterious Hairstreak's (see separate thread)

Then drove all the way to Martin Down, Hampshire. Just before the rain started, I managed to get good views of some Chalkhill Blue's. They were all very mobile, as I'd read they would be. To me, that was quite a distinguishing feature from the Common Blue's also around. The Chalkhill's seem to come to rest very little, whereas the Common Blue's do so more regularly.

Finally, I drove on to Lulworth Cove in search of Lulworth Skippers. Despite the weather being better near the coast, the wind was still strong. Not a sign of Lulworth Skipper's, but few more Chalkhill Blue's.

Despite the lack of total numbers, the two new species made the 200+ mile trip from Sheffield very worthwhile
Matthebirder

Post by Matthebirder »

Quote "Finally, I drove on to Lulworth Cove in search of Lulworth Skippers. Despite the weather being better near the coast, the wind was still strong. Not a sign of Lulworth Skipper's"

Ouch! thats a long way from Sheffield to dip, Lulworth Skippers were present at Durleston Country Park, last Saturday at least. Walk down the 'Diagonal Path' (the actual name of the path) from the bottom of the carpark to the SECOND wooden seat. They even provide a seat for your to rest after such a hard walk! I guess 3 mintes from the carpark max.

Brown Hairstreaks showing well on and off at the car park of Whitecross Green Wood, Oxon/Bucks, last Sunday , sit in the car job, you really can't beat it.

Good luck

Matt-the-birder
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

selbypaul wrote:Finally, I drove on to Lulworth Cove in search of Lulworth Skippers. Despite the weather being better near the coast, the wind was still strong. Not a sign of Lulworth Skippers, but few more Chalkhill Blues.
I too was at Lulworth Cove today, alongside Sami. We gave the hills over three hours without a sniff of a skipper. Highlights were 15+ Walls, a Grayling, Great Green and Grey Bush-crickets (in the hand!), a Wasp Spider (def NOT in the hand!) and a family of 4 Peregrines overhead.

We tried Corfe Castle but the NT guy said he hadn't seen any this year so we didn't pay to enter. A huge Privet Hawk larva was a surprise bonus, found by a bunch of kids as it crossed the busy footpath.

So in the end we tried Durlston CP where a very helpful warden showed us the area to concentrate on. From the info centre, follow the Butterfly Trail (clue's in the name!) until you reach a bridge over a gulley. Sam found our first Lulworth Skipper in a flower-rich meadow to the right of the path just before we reached the bridge...a lifer!!! :D We had 2 or 3 more in the flower patch just across the bridge. The clifftops were pretty windswept and unrewarding. Once across the bridge, look back across the gulley and you will see a rocky outcropping on the grassy slope. Apparently there are good numbers here too. Back in the info centre we happened across a chance encounter with Rory McGrath and kids...despite Sam's loud and grumbling protests, we left him in peace!

Wall and Lulworth Skippers are both additions to the Butterfly Blitz List, which just leaves Clouded Yellow, Brown Hairstreak and Scotch Argus as the only residents still needed. Plus the usual irregular stuff....Scotland Part IV next week!!!! :)
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Michaeljf wrote: Eventually at around 2:00pm I finally saw one Brown Hairstreak on the Hemp Agrinomy.
Good news Michael, and lovely photos. I understood they can fly until early October too.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Saw 9 Pinted Lady and 10 red Admiral and several small tortoiseshells this morning when at a friends house, seems there is a large number of migrants at the moment as someone reported 600+ Silver Y moths coming up the East coast of Northern Ireland and I have been seeing a lot more of them latley too and more red admirals are appearing. Anyone know if there is any chance there will be clouded yellows appearing this year? Hasn't been any here since 2006
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Strange place for a Burnet Moth to have pupated.
(inverted pawnbroker sign)

Flash used to stop wind shake

Jack
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Gibster wrote:
selbypaul wrote:Finally, I drove on to Lulworth Cove in search of Lulworth Skippers. Despite the weather being better near the coast, the wind was still strong. Not a sign of Lulworth Skippers, but few more Chalkhill Blues.
I too was at Lulworth Cove today, alongside Sami. We gave the hills over three hours without a sniff of a skipper. Highlights were 15+ Walls, a Grayling, Great Green and Grey Bush-crickets (in the hand!), a Wasp Spider (def NOT in the hand!) and a family of 4 Peregrines overhead.

We tried Corfe Castle but the NT guy said he hadn't seen any this year so we didn't pay to enter. A huge Privet Hawk larva was a surprise bonus, found by a bunch of kids as it crossed the busy footpath.

So in the end we tried Durlston CP where a very helpful warden showed us the area to concentrate on. From the info centre, follow the Butterfly Trail (clue's in the name!) until you reach a bridge over a gulley. Sam found our first Lulworth Skipper in a flower-rich meadow to the right of the path just before we reached the bridge...a lifer!!! :D We had 2 or 3 more in the flower patch just across the bridge. The clifftops were pretty windswept and unrewarding. Once across the bridge, look back across the gulley and you will see a rocky outcropping on the grassy slope. Apparently there are good numbers here too. Back in the info centre we happened across a chance encounter with Rory McGrath and kids...despite Sam's loud and grumbling protests, we left him in peace!

Wall and Lulworth Skippers are both additions to the Butterfly Blitz List, which just leaves Clouded Yellow, Brown Hairstreak and Scotch Argus as the only residents still needed. Plus the usual irregular stuff....Scotland Part IV next week!!!! :)
Hi Gibster
Went to Durlston today myself. The wind was blowing a gale and there was not a sniff of sunshine so I wasn't expecting to be lucky. Took the advice of the helpful warden and spent around 90 minutes searching the areas you mentioned above. Quite a few Adonis Blue's, but no sign of Lulworth Skippers.

It was the same at Bindon Hill and the area around Corfe Castle too. Tomorrow morning is my last chance, I'll be returning briefly to Durlston. Otherwise, the Lulworth Skipper is going to become my bogey!
Paul
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Gibster wrote:

Oh blimey!!!!! and I recommended Lulworth Cove!!!! :oops: :oops: I am glad you finally found The Lulworth Skipper at Durlston CP but maybe the Lulworths have just finished their flight season at Lulworth Cove!!! I last visited there in about 1995 & there were 100's to be seen without any hunting at all as you walk up the steep path amongst the thicker grass at back of cove! I cannot believe they've become extinct in it's namesake locality but just too late in season and being a windy day would just ground them! Corfe Castle's grassy slopes used to almost swarm with them in the 1990's and you could see them 10 yards from where you parked the car. You should have no problem with Scotch Argus but the adults do get damaged very quickly in their lifespan. They usually fly only in sunlight or very warm & still overcast conditions. Again I wish you the best of luck in your quest. Scotland is certainly a beautiful place.
Cheers,
Lee (Cornwall).
Andrew Cunningham

Post by Andrew Cunningham »

I had about seven Lulworth Skippers at Worth Matravers on the footpath running south of the village on Tuesday.

Also about twelve Silver-spotted Skippers and plenty of Adonis Blues at Fontmell Down on the Wednesday. The Monday saw Adonis Blues also at Lankhill Bottom. Monday afternoon at Bindon Hill (Lulworth) yielded no Lulworth Skippers but plenty of Wall Browns and Chalkhill Blues.

Regards,
Andrew.

Return to “Sightings”