Recording your Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Dave McCormick

Re: Recording your Sightings

Post by Dave McCormick »

I was talking to one memeber of BCNI (Butterfly conservation Northern Ireland) and he has a device that records the map reference. I think it uses GPS and converts it into a map reference so it can be used for ordinance servays. I have to ask him what it was he was using, looked like good tool for telling you whereabouts you are as he was able to tell me by reading the device what map reference we were in by saying the first 3 digits of the map reference to me.

I was going to create a excel spreadsheet for recording butterflies, it will have all species ever recorded in UK, plus a part for other butterfly sightings. I was using this attached spreadsheet for recording moths in Ireland (very good IMO) and thought I could do similar for butterfly sightings if nothing like it has been done before. Best way of recording sightings IMO.
MothsIreland Recording Sheet All Species.zip
Moths of Ireland recording spreadsheet (Includes micro moths)
(231.39 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
JDAllan

Post by JDAllan »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, however if it's not I'm sure someone will let me know.

Location Cupar, Fife.

Sightings - 12 Red Admirals, 1 Comma and 1 Peacock on 17th Oct, 2009. (After an overnight frost.)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Regarding the question of which county.... I suggest you tap the OS ref ( via get-a-map) into the following site, which is fantastic for identifying which VC your sighting is in...
http://herbariaunited.org/gridrefVC/ the recorder's details should be available via the BC website chased down to County level....
I am The VC65 recorder and echo the above observations... anyone seeing stuff in my VC... I would really welcome your records!!!
Lawts

Penhale Dunes

Post by Lawts »

I was curious to see if I would score with this species at Penhale Cornwall whilst on holiday. The site is excellent for butterflies, but most August holidays fall too late to catch up with Silver-studded.

However, for anyone going, the best place to search is close to the boundary of the MOD site, a few hundred yards north of the obvious cross on the dunes. There is a small gulley that runs for some distance, presumably down to the sea. It's a concentration of flowers, and any late butterflies seem to congregate here. On the 2nd August I managed to see one male and one female Silver-studded, as well as two Dark-green Fritt's.

I did try again a week later and didn't see any Silver-studded. I saw a frit. sp. disappear into the MOD bit, but wasn't sure if it was Dark-green or Small Pearl from the brief views.

I couldn't get any info beforehand as to whether Silver-studded would still be on the wing. Clearly with the numbers it's at the very end of the flight period, but this gulley may give you a chance.
Wildmoreway

Post by Wildmoreway »

I saw what looked like Buff-tailed Bumblebee queen looking for a place to make a nest in Hollicombe gardens near Paignton this afternoon.
AJSteele

Post by AJSteele »

Not seen by me but a family member had a comma in the garden yesterday
nightline

Post by nightline »

Yesterday I walked the perimeter of a large lake in Yorkshire and saw a most beautiful deep red Butterfly or day flying moth (sorry no photo it was too elusive). The insect was small - bright - deep red it was approximately 25mm to 28mm full wing span and body length of 15mm approx but the colour was vivid.
It was sighted in a clear 10 foot wide shaded grassy area bordering the lake in relatively short undergrowth/grasses. The Lakes is bordered by Alders, Willows and Birch on the Lakeside and Birches Hazels and conifers to the landward side beyond the grass. The area is rarely visited by anyone. It was the hottest day of the year so far (about 24c at the time). Can any one speculate as to the species? - I realise I offer little by way of description but the creature was too beautiful to go unidentified. I have certainly never seen this insect before.

Nightline
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Nightline,

I think your description best fits the Cinnabar moth which is a day-flyer.
Cinnabar moth
Cinnabar moth
There are a few others which have varying amounts of red colouration, such as the Burnet moths and some of the Tiger moths, so I stand to be corrected.

Vince
Simon Collings

Post by Simon Collings »

Good advice - I record sightings on iRecord where records are checked and approved by experts. All my records are shared through iRecord with the county recorder, Thames Valley Environmental Resource Centre.

Return to “Sightings”