Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2013

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Vince Massimo »

Week 11.

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2013 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter, eventually covering all 59 species which are regularly found in the British Isles. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Meadow Brown - Favourite Photo of 2013

Post by Wurzel »

Meadow Brown

This was taken at Larkhill at the end of July. I hadn’t expected to find anything due t the inclement weather. It was damp and cool enough for me to require a coat so I stopped off more out of force of habit than expectation.
As is so often the way when you’re not looking or expecting, I stumbled across this little cracker. It’s my favourite MB shot (particularly the higher resolution version) as it shows off the wonderful subtle markings and hues of an often overlooked butterfly. As an added bonus the collected drizzle drops seemed to highlight the velvety texture of the wings.
Meadow Brown (Larkhill 24-07).JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
CFB

Post by CFB »

This is by far my favourite Meadow Brown, seen at the beginning of June in the Alpes-Maritimes:
IMG_7711.JPG
I like the following one due to the unusual object on which it decided to land. Enigma: what is the object?
IMG_0421.JPG
--
Colin
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This is one of those 'pathological' whitish specimens, which always seem to have rather brittle wings. Hence the broken bits...
Otmoor, Oxon - 6th August 2013<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO800
Otmoor, Oxon - 6th August 2013
Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC - 1/180s@f/9.5 ISO800
Mike
millerd

Post by millerd »

As with many species, Meadow Browns started very late in my part of the world. This one was a fresh-looking male, seen near to home at Stanwell Moor on 10th July. I would normally start to look for them at the end of May, but this year's first was on 24th June.
MB1 100713.JPG
Dave
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

This was taken near Geneva at the end of July. It is easy to overlook this species but it is very attractive:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

As for Colin's enigma above, it looks like the butterfly is perched on a rather large bolt head.
The plant in the background looks like Pistacia lentiscus (Mastic tree)!
Come on Colin, I give in.
I've got two favorite photos of jurtina from 2013, both from Marseilles: a pair mating, and a form hispulla (thanks R. Gibbons for the identification).
Chris
jurtina June 09 Marseilles.JPG
jurtina f. hispulla September 01 Marseilles.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

For some strange reason, I noticed higher numbers of Meadow Browns than normal that were happily resting wings open this summer. Usually, they have a greater tendency to do this towards the end of their flight season, meaning that they're relatively tatty and faded. This year though, I photographed 3 or 4 in good condition, including this female seen at Aston Rowant on 8th August:
111MB(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My first Meadow Browns of 2013 were seen in North Devon in mid June but I did not see them in any numbers until I returned home and had a look around a local spot, Shadowbrook Meadows near Solihull, at the end of June. There had just been a large emergence and there were hundreds all over the site, all males.
Meadow Brown - Shadowbrook Meadows 30.06.2013
I then saw Meadow Browns as usual everywhere that I went throughout the summer right up to early September when there were still good numbers around in Dorset, my last ones seen being on 29th September near Solihull.

I quite like the shot below taken at Grafton Wood in August of a female at a more unusual angle.
Meadow Brown - Grafton Wood 24.08.2013
Meadow Brown - Grafton Wood 24.08.2013
Cheers,

Neil.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I found this little beauty whilst searching for Brown Hairstreaks at Shipton Bellinger in August. Happy Days !!!

Happy Christmas all
Mike Gibbons
Attachments
Meadow Brown aberration, August 2013.
Meadow Brown aberration, August 2013.
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

My favourite Meadow Brown image from 2013 has to be this mating shot taken at Aston Rowan in August. I arrived very early and was searching for roosting blues when i came across this pair low down in the dew covered grass. They seemed to have been joined together all night as they were both soaking wet from the dew. I waited for the sun to appear by which time they had dried out considerably and coaxed them out of the thick grass for a photo.
Meadow Browns3 copy copy copy.jpg
CFB

Post by CFB »

cjackson wrote:Come on Colin, I give in.
Chris,
The Meadow Brown is on a bolt at the bottom of this electricity pylon. The photos were not taken on the same day.
IMG_7086.JPG
--
Colin
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Colin, what a relief - now I can sleep soundly.
I'm sure you will have more enigmas lined up for us in 2014.
Chris
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took Photo's of Meadow Browns at two different places this year. I was actually looking for White Letter Hair Streak which I know to be along the old railway lines now closed at Helmshore, needless to say I was unlucky but did spot lots of other BF so still managed a few photo's :D this pic was taken on the 4th of August.
My second place was at Southport in the Dunes where loads of them were feeding on some Sea Thistle (1st of August) I think this is the photo I like the best Goldie :D
Attachments
Meadow Brown HSRWL 4th August 2013 IMG_2498.JPG
Meadow Brown's SD 1st August 2013 IMG_2446.JPG
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

You're right Goldie, the prickly Sea Thistle photo provides nice contrast.
Chris
maverick

Post by maverick »

DSCF1359.JPG
another buterfly from Sanky Valley just a five minute walk from my house
IAC

Post by IAC »

Meadow Browns have had quite a rough trot for wee while in the east of Berwickshire. Many once popular spots, devoid of the butterfly. Unsettled weather really does them no good at all. They were, as they always seem to be by seasons end, the most numerous butterfly again in 2013. So whats to moan about?......I can see changes in the species habits that I cannot yet explain. They are tending to swarm in small pockets, not being seen in more open habitat as they were used to doing. They are turning up in more untypical habitats...it is certainly strange. Ringlet seem to be less affected...I dunno...maybe its a cyclic event.
This butterfly was taken on a dull warm day in a quarry site where I have recorded 100s...since 2011 it has been 20-30 max.

I am taking it, that nobody else is seeing changes in Meadow Brown behaviour, density and habitat.?

Iain.
Attachments
IMG_0001_1.jpg

Return to “Meadow Brown”