Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the opportunity to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2012 (or the last time you saw one!).

This is part of a series of topics which will grow over 20 weeks throughout the winter until all 59 UK species have been covered. The intention is to showcase three species per week (in alphabetical order), so please wait until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos. Our overseas friends are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants.

Details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, stories of personal encounters, anecdotes or other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2012

Post by Wurzel »

Marsh Fritillary
I saw Marsh Fritillary at only 1 undisclosed site this year. In fact I made two visits and on both occasions I found only one individual. It was taken during an evening visit to the site back in early May while a mini heat wave lulled us all into a false sense of security with regards to the forthcoming, dismal summer. This is my favourite shot as it’s different from the shots that I’ve taken on my previous encounters with this species. I like the way that the pose allows me to see the detail on the underside – the bristly two-tone legs, the ruddy colour of the fore-legs and the spotty eyes. It also fits in nicely with my “stained glass window” collection.
Marsh Fritillary.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
CFB

Post by CFB »

This is my favourite Marsh Fritillary as it is the only time I've managed to photograph the under-side.
IMG_2520.JPG
This could well be the same specimen a minute or so later on a different plant.
IMG_2524.JPG
--
Colin
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

I unfortunately missed the Marsh fritillary this year, however, the last 2 years I did make it to the same site as I believe Wurzel saw them at this year. Both times there were around 10 butterflies flying with some plump females full of eggs as well as some active males. The 2 pics here were from 25th May 2010 and 11th May 2011.
Attachments
DSC_0830 (800x550).jpg
DSC_0961 (800x572).jpg
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

i saw my first ever marsh frits this year, i only saw the one at Hod Hill but it was well worth the trip.
marsh1.JPG
marsh frit.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

My favourite is definately this one I tracked it seemed forever down this lane and nothing seemed right some how . The Bracken was dying for some reason. then i spotted a few flowers growing along the edges of the Marsh . The Marsh was quite dried up this must have been before they got all the rain . Then I saw a flutter and there was my first ever Marsh Frit. Goldie :D For got to say this was in Devon 31st May 2012
Attachments
MF 31st may 2012 KS 244.jpg
MF 31st May 2012 KS 219.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I didn't see any this year - but to be fair I didn't visit obvious sites and was expecting to dip out. I have never seen them at Wurzel's anonymous location - which I did drop into. I have to return to Hod Hill on the last day of April 2011 for my favourite Marsh Fritillary. It was an unusual but fascinating little creature...

Dave
Attachments
MF ab resized.JPG
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I spent two days at Cerne Abbas walking the hillside and had just about given up when this little chap appeared.
This was my first ever sighting of a Marsh Fritillaty and this made it extra special.
The photo is not perfect, the blade of grass... but this is all there was time for in our brief encounter.
Attachments
Marsh Fritillary.jpg

Return to “Marsh Fritillary”