Marsh Fritillary – Favourite Photo of 2017

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10 – Sorry if this is slightly later than usual I was up to my neck in Xmas decorations. As I was passing them to the girls to hang I realised that Butterfly Conservation are missing a trick – I’d pay good money for Butterfly themed decorations – much better than toy soldiers, garish baubles etc! :wink: Anyway back to the Favourites…

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
petesmith

Re: Marsh Fritillary – Favourite Photo of 2017

Post by petesmith »

A couple of shots from Lincolnshire's main Marsh Fritillary colony. A re-introduction to the Limewoods back in 1992 which has had great success and remains viable to this day.
Marsh Fritillary 180517.4.JPG
Marsh Fritillary 180517.3.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

My second visit to Wurzel's famous Wiltshire hillside on May 31st produced a selection of somewhat worn individuals (my first visit only sported a singleton). However, there was a mating pair, and a lot of nectaring activity on the brambles.
MF pair1 310517.JPG
MF pair3 310517.JPG
MF11 310517.JPG
Dave
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

I found a small colony of Marsh Fritillaries at the beginning of May.
It was up a calcareous scree slope and seemed to be centered on a patch of Aristolochia pistolochia, which is the environment and the host plant of the Spanish Festoon - here on Aristolochia pistolochia:
aurinia9 pair Vallon du Cros 01May17 (4).JPG
Earlier, at the end of March, I found Marsh Fritillary caterpillars on their local host plant Cephalaria leucantha
aurinia - chenille La Coutronne 31Mar17 (2).JPG
but they were also just as interested in a plant next to that which I have not been able to identify - any ideas ?
aurinia - chenille La Coutronne 31Mar17 (4).JPG
aurinia - chenille La Coutronne 31Mar17 (5).JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Pete - your Marshies are very distinctive with that paler ground colour to the forewings.

I have this species in numbers within walking distance of my home, but the flight period coincides with my trip to the French Pyrenees in late May/early June, so I only really spent one day with them. Here's an individual from Welshmoor, Gower, on 21st May:
1MarshFritWelshmoor(1).jpg
For contrast, here is a form beckerii from the Pyrenees seen the week after:
2Beckeriupps(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I took loads of photos of Marsh Fritillaries down on the Lizard in Cornwall when we spent a few days down there in late May and early June. I could easily have posted a couple of dozen favourite shots but have been strict with myself and selected just a couple, one of each sex.
Marsh Fritillary female - The Lizard 31.05.2017
Marsh Fritillary female - The Lizard 31.05.2017
Marsh Fritillary male - The Lizard 01.06.2017
Marsh Fritillary male - The Lizard 01.06.2017
Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Marsh Fritillary

I was lucky enough to find Marshies at several sites this year so picking my favourite for this species was probably the hardest decision I had to make. I tried all the usual methods but in the end I just had to trawl through all my images and wait for that one which stood out from the rest. Hence my choice – it was the most stand out with bands of cream and orange contrasting with the black ground colour and a liberal splattering of white/cream scales across the wings.
DSC_1354 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely, vibrant individuals posted. I particularly like the silvery lunules in contrast to the rest of the wing colour.

This is a fascinating species, without a doubt, with much local variation.
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

‘Little Scrubbs Meadow’, Lincolnshire.
23rd May 2017. 19:47
“Watching the Sun Go Down”
“Watching the Sun Go Down”
Sunset was approximately 20:49.
We thought that this Butterfly was in it’s final roosting position for the night on ‘Ragged Robin’.
“We returned on 4th June, butterflies were more ‘greasy’
:D :D
‘We think that Forestry Commission would like you to keep to the mown paths. This was a site of Special Scientific Interest and most scientists do not wish to study ones footprints’
:wink:
Kind Regards,

Return to “Marsh Fritillary”