Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

So continues sequence of posts giving one and all the opportunity to showcase their favourite shots of 2014 (or the last time you saw one)!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As like last year details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris Jackson

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2014

Post by Chris Jackson »

I find orange skippers difficult to differentiate. Recently I have taken to classifying all orange skippers as "orange skippers", such an uncertain science it is. I hope this one is a Lulworth :oops: .
Photos taken in May in the South of France :
acteon6_13 P Bruyères 08 May 2014 (2).JPG
acteon6_13 P Bruyères 08 May 2014 (1).JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

I spent a couple of hours on Bindon Hill above Lulworth Cove on 2nd July 2014 and saw a handful of specimens.

A male:
1Lulworthmale(1).jpg
...and a female:
1Lulworthfemale(1).jpg
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

My personal favourite was an early morning shot of this female on my last visit to see this species in 2013.
Attachments
Lulworth Skipper (f) 26.7.13 Durdle Door, Dorset. Downland boy (Custom).JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw loads of Lulworth Skippers this year during a family holiday in late June/early July when we stayed at Bowleaze Cove by Weymouth.

During a couple of visits to Lulworth Cove I saw them in the grassy areas by where the path heads across from the car park to Durdle Door and also in good numbers on the slopes on the far side of the cove where a path and some steep steps lead up onto Bindon Hill, but not so many up on the hill itself.

I saw the most however within a few hundred yards of the caravan site that we stayed on at Bowleaze Cove when on a number of walks along the cliff paths I found absolutely loads. I reported these to Dorset BC and was informed that none had been reported from here for a number of years which made finding them here that little bit more special.

A few favourite shots taken at Bowleaze Cove,
Lulworth Skipper female- Bowleaze Cove 29.06.2014
All the shots above are of females and although there were also plenty of males around, most of these were looking a bit worn. After a bit more searching over the next few days I did eventually find some fresher males like the one below,
Lulworth Skipper male - Bowleaze Cove 01.07.2014
Lulworth Skipper male - Bowleaze Cove 01.07.2014
Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth Skipper

Despite visiting Lulworth itself a couple of times my favourite shot was taken within the battlements of Corfe Castle. I like it purely because it reminds me of the day out. I was enjoying my annual camping holiday back in Dorset and while the girls were learning to sword fight I managed to make a couple of 5 minute ‘sneak offs’. This little beauty was upturned on one such sneak-off and was the culmination of some cracking finds including Wall Brown, Wall Lizard, Brown Argus and Common Blue. When I see this photo I’m taken back to the instant – the dry heat, scrambling up the hill amongst fallen blocks and a game of ‘Peek-a-boo’ with the Wall Lizard; magic!
Lulworth Skipper.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”