Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

MikeOxon

Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by MikeOxon »

This was my only photo of a Lulworth Skipper in 2011!

I had gone to Durlston CP specifically to look for this species and had almost given up, when I found this one female near the cliff edge above Tilly Whim caves. All the other sightings which I enthusuastically pursued turned out to be Small Skippers.
Durlston CP, Dorset - 4th July 2011<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR 1/500s@f/9.5 ISO400
Durlston CP, Dorset - 4th July 2011
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR 1/500s@f/9.5 ISO400
It seems to have been a poor year for this species.

Mike
dilettante

Re: Lulworth Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by dilettante »

Can I politely request we leave celery to create the species favourite photo threads? He's doing them phased over time, 3-per-week in alphabetical order. I think this will ensure that we get continued good involvement and avoid 'photo fatigue' if we try to do all the species at the same time.

Nice picture though!
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

My apologies for'jumping the gun' - I got on a roll putting in some photos late last night and got carried away!

In addition, mea culpa, I made a mess of adding my Grizzled Skipper giving the thread the 'wrong' title. Perhaps Pete can correct it?

Pleased you like the photo,though!

Mike
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

No worries Mike :D

You are able to correct or amend any of your own posts at any time (including photos) as long as you are logged in. In this instance I have changed the Grizzled Skipper title to the format adopted by Celery.

Cheers,
Vince
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

This thread is now officially open! :D.

Here you can post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011....................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Vince
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

When I got up at 5am on 19th June 2008 I still needed to photograph 4 British species. First stop was Collard Hill for Large Blue and I moved on before midday. Although still very early in the flight season for Lulworth Skipper, reports indicated that they had been on the wing for some weeks. As it seemed to be "on the way home", I popped in to Lulworth Cove and found 6 individuals. These were the first and last British Lulworths I have seen to date.
Male Lulworth Skipper - Lulworth Cove, Dorset 19-June-08
Male Lulworth Skipper - Lulworth Cove, Dorset 19-June-08
By the time I got home at 6pm I had done 360 miles, but claimed two new British species :D .

Vince
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Here are two photos I got of Lulworth Skippers taken at Durlston country park. Taken on the 29/8/2011.
Attachments
lul flo.JPG
lul gra.JPG

Return to “Lulworth Skipper”