Canon 6D and Lightroom 2

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Ian Pratt

Canon 6D and Lightroom 2

Post by Ian Pratt »

I have just bought a secondhand Canon 6D with all the Canon software CDs.
I usually use Lightroom 2 to process my photos but the raw CR2 images from the 6D cannot be found on Lightroom 2. I have used the Canon software to view the photos but would like to continue using Lightroom for all my photos. Has anyone any suggestions?
Catteraxe

Re: Canon 6D and Lightroom 2

Post by Catteraxe »

Hi Ian,

Just guessing here, but I think you may need a more recent version of Lightroom to view your files. The most recent numbered version of LR was 5 and it has now become Lightroom Classic CC. Hope this helps.

Kevin.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thanks Kevin. You may well be correct. However, I have been using this version of Lightroom for several years and it works fine with my Lumix FZ200 and my Canon 7D. It is odd that it does not cope with full frame on the 6D.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I have found this on the internet which may be my answer.
"Raw file formats are extremely popular in digital photography workflows because they offer creative professionals greater creative control. However, cameras can use many different raw formats — the specifications for which are not publicly available — which means that not every raw file can be read by a variety of software applications. As a result, the use of these proprietary raw files as a long-term archival solution carries risk, and sharing these files across complex workflows is even more challenging.
The solution to this is Digital Negative (DNG), a publicly available archival format for the raw files generated by digital cameras. By addressing the lack of an open standard for the raw files created by individual camera models, DNG helps ensure that photographers will be able to access their files in the future.
Hundreds of software manufacturers such as Apple and Google have developed support for DNG. And respected camera manufacturers such as Leica, Casio, Ricoh, Samsung, and Pentax have introduced cameras that provide direct DNG support. Learn more ›
In addition to the Digital Negative Specification, Adobe provides the free Adobe DNG Converter (Windows | Mac OS), which easily translates raw files from many of today's popular cameras. Software developers and manufacturers can download the complete DNG Specification (PDF, 486k) . DNG is supported by the following software versions: Photoshop CS to Photoshop CC, Photoshop Elements 3 to Photoshop Elements 12, and all versions of Lightroom."
Catteraxe

Post by Catteraxe »

It’s our local camera club meeting tonight so I’ll ask around to see if anyone is aware of an issue with LR 2 and 6D CR2 raw files.

Kevin.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Lightroom v2 was released in April 2008. The Canon 6D was released in September 2012. I think that 4.5 year difference is the problem.

These days you'll find most software moving to a subscription service, whether this is Lightroom, Photoshop, Microsoft Office etc. and I subscribe to these by default since all updates are, essentially, part of the subscription and you'll always have the latest software. They do (I believe) work out at the same price (or cheaper) than the "normal" software licenses.

I'd recommend that you upgrade to Lightroom CC.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

What Pete said :wink: its the way to go.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I have sorted it by downloading Adobe DNG converter which converts any RAW images from many makes of camera to Digital negative(DNG). The images can then be downloaded to Lightroom. It saves the cost of a subscription to Lightroom.
See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using ... erter.html
Thanks for all the helpful comments. :D :D

Return to “Photography”