Budget tripods anybody?

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
SimonC69

Budget tripods anybody?

Post by SimonC69 »

Hi all,
I've been photographing butterflies on and off for a few years now, first of all with an old Olympus compact (which I still use occasionally) then a Nikon D70 and 18-55mm zoom (with variable - mostly dissapointing - results) and this season I've finally got a "serious" set up (read heavy ;) ) i.e. nikon D200 + Sigma 105mm OS macro.
I'm hoping that, for convenience sake, I can get away with using my velbon monopod with basic ball head most of the time but I know, for some of the shots I really want to try this year (dew covered roosting blues spring to mind here) I do need a tripod (I also need one for general photography anyway, as my birding scope 'pod is too cumbersome) but my budget is VERY limited (around £60 is do-able)
I've been looking at this one or a similar one by Hahnel (Triad C5). Selling points here are the relative light weight, low minimum height, quick adjust twist-lock legs, tensioned ball head and reversible centre collumn (for ultra low/macro work)
Does anyone have any experience with these (or similar)? or have any suggestions within budget?
Any feedback will be welcomed
Cheers
Simon
MrSp0ck

Re: Budget tripods anybody?

Post by MrSp0ck »

I do have 2 Velbon lightweight tripods, that i use for a flash set up, they are very lightweight, and only about £17, not fully extended they seem stable, but full height are very flimsy for any heavy camera.

For my set up the lightweight is more important than stableness, as they only ever have an umbrella and wireless flash on them.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I have sold one or two used Manfrotto tripods on ebay, I think I got around £60 for them, I think used could be your best bet. Its not worth scrimping too much, as you will only end up buying again, and again.

Regards Gary
SimonC69

Post by SimonC69 »

That's a very good point Gary! For some reason I hadn't thought of that (oddly, since a lot of my photo gear came from eBay! ) just need to do a bit of research now on what to look for. Any suggestions? Lightweight, low minimum height, ball head with friction control and reversible centre column?
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I haven't looked for tripods for a couple of years. Manfrotto do some cheaper models these days, :shock:

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/compact-light-black

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/compact-action-black-tripod

£50 for a Manfrotto tripod and head, is very good, and direct from the manufacturer, can't go wrong :D

Regards Gary
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

SimonC69 wrote: Selling points here are the relative light weight, low minimum height, quick adjust twist-lock legs, tensioned ball head and reversible centre collumn (for ultra low/macro work)
Does anyone have any experience with these (or similar)? or have any suggestions within budget?
Any feedback will be welcomed
Cheers
Simon
Hello Simon,
putting together those features, that budget looks quite tight.
i bought my first tripod in May 2016 for about £80, a q666c (comes under many brands), and it was useless by December 2016.
with spring coming, i had to find another tripod. i put together same features as you and went for a Cullmann tripod.
-pros: sturdy, flexible, lightweight, lower angles (17cm), twist locks... 10y warranty.
-cons: extra costs (£94), no head
quite the extra budget but the product is really excellent for lower angles (-:

http://www.cullmann.de/en/detail/id/con ... e-625.html
I can't name many of them but it relaxes me to take photos of butterflies and moths :lol: :lol:
Please drop me an email for photo walks. Here are my online galleries: FlickR ; Instagram ; 500px

Return to “Photography”