Advice on new camera

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
kevling

Advice on new camera

Post by kevling »

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

I am looking for some advice/guidance on what my next camera may be. I currently own a bridge camera (Panasonic Lumia DMC F30) and would like to return to an SLR as I am becoming frustrated with the quality of my images and the lack of macro functionality.At present I have a macro lens that requires me to almost touch the subject to get it into focus (this either scaring it off or casting a shadow over the subject).

I have seen a couple of cameras I like the look of and wondered fi anyone owns one of these and can give advice. They are Canon IS1000 and Canon 1200D.

As for the lens, essentially I would like one that will enable good quality close up/macro images from a distance of six to ten feet or so between me and the subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Kev
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Advice on new camera

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Kev,

You will no doubt find using a DSLR again, rather heavy compared to you bridge. Not sure why you moved from DSLR to a bridge, but I would hazard a guess that weight was one of the factors. With that in mind, and as you are already looking at Canon. You should also consider the Canon 100D. At 407g it is tiny, and at £265 great value.
kevling wrote:As for the lens, essentially I would like one that will enable good quality close up/macro images from a distance of six to ten feet or so between me and the subject.

That's not easy, you would need a extension tube on a 300-400mm lens for that sort of working distance. With a long macro 150-180mm you should be able to ( depending on the size of the subject) work at 3 to 6ft. If you go for a lighter set up, with a 100mm macro, the working distance will be even closer. All macro lenses are sharp as a tack, its just finding what suits you. Loads of people rave about the Canon 100 f2.8 IS macro, but if you want a longer working distance, I would look at the Sigma 150 f2.8 OS Macro, and a good tripod !

Hope this helps, Regards Gary
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I think Gary has given sound advice but I will stick my oar in and suggest you also consider a 'mirrorless' camera. This type of camera replaces the mirror and pentaprism of a DSLR with an electronic viewfinder, making the camera lighter and smaller.

I replaced my Nikon system with an Olympus OM-D E-M1 and have never looked back. Image quality is excellent, there's a great range of 'micro 4/3' lenses, which are generally much smaller and lighter than their DSLR counterparts, and the electronic viewfinder brings some advantages. These include the ability to provide a magnified image, for manual focus, and to show areas of the image which will be over or under exposed, which is great for difficult subjects, such as white butterflies. There is a 60mm macro lens (equivalent to 120mm field of view on 35mm camera) and, when using this lens, the E-M1 can automatically stack a series of macro images, to provide increased depth of field. I also have a Leica 100-400mm zoom which, besides being an excellent tele lens, also has close focus ability that brings it almost unto the macro class.

As you can probably tell, I have become a fan of this system so I think it is worth having a look. I was hooked initially, after looking at one in John Lewis! If you don't need the ruggedised weatherproofing of the E-M1, the E-M10 provides most of the capability at a much lower price.

Mike
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I always respect Mikes advise, but I always think there is one major problem when you stray away from Canon / Nikon,.......lenses :!:

All DSLRs regardless of brand, that have been produced in the last 6 years or so. Can in the right hands produce great images. All brands have some great, and some not so great lenses. But with Canon / Nikon you have a huge range of lenses to choose from. Plus all the lenses that Sigma or Tamron offer, come in a Canon / Nikon fit. You never know where your photography will take you. If you end up one day lusting after a massive wildlife lens, with Canon / Nikon you have a huge choice, with Olympus ?
Check out any image of the sports paparazzi at the the summer olympics, do you see anything other than Canon / Nikon.

Regards Gary
Medard

Post by Medard »

Hello Kev
May I suggest a Nikon D800 coupled with Sigma 150 Macro, I find this combination delivers good result in the field, the D800 also has fill flash that can be set at 320 sec,very useful in windy conditions and shaky hands.
For this year 2017 I now have the new Nikon D500 the DX format provides additional reach, it has already proved to be excellent for birds in flight and is capable of 4K video
I also have the Sigma 180 Macro that produces great pictures but is heavy to hand hold so a tripod is necessary
Examples
.Click on link to view butterflies of France 2016
http://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p296923893#h3859144b
for further folders go to
http://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com Scroll down to see more folders.
Blog
http://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/blog
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Kev,

I bought a 1200D a year ago and I am very happy with it. It is quite light in weight and not too expensive, it is also easy to use and does not have too many gadgets (which I personaly dislike). However, I believe this camera has been replaced by the 1300D (only change is the addition of WiFi). I use the camera with a Sigma 150mm f2.8 OS and the quality is very good. You may consider also the Tamron 90mm f2.8 with VC(vibration control), I know a couple of people who use this lens and it gives really good results. It is lighter than the Sigma and also half the price but you will need to be closer to the subject.

Hope this helps.
Sylvie
kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks to everyone for their advice on the camera.
I have a lot to consider, but this has been a good starting point.

Regards Kev

Return to “Photography”